Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

Default Engine rebuild

I was sitting at a stoplight in pretty heavy traffic when my car shut off. I later discovered that the oil pump had gone out with no warning, and the rattling in the valve covers was my valvetrain distroying itself. Anyway, the nearest place I had it towed to told me what I new all along, it's trashed and needs to be rebuilt. Being that my car is worth about $2,500 on a day that no one can see the rust spots, I thought about selling it. But my dad has a buddy at work who will give us his 440 shortblock he had sitting in his garage for FREE. All it needs is heads and an intake manifold whitch I will use the parts from my motor I have now. I guess it was manufactured in July of 69 and its a HP motor. He said it was sonic checked and that one cylinder wall is weak due to maybe just a bad casting, or something. He figured it didn't have too many miles judgeing from when he opened it up and inspected it, he can tell those kinds of things. My question is, can this weak cylinder wall be fixed, and if not will it hinder this rebuild greatly or should I just rebuild the block I already have? Any info is helpful. - Jack
Old 04-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

The cyl. wall thats thin can be replaced. It's called sleveing the block.
The call is yours, check into prices.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up worth a shot

for free,you are obviously not going to race it,with stock compression ratio and setup I would go for it.Your 65 heads are closed chamber and might be too much for the 69 deck height and piston travel.The only money spent would be for a set of open chambers and stainless valves to be compatable with unleaded,and a gasket set.Lower compression is better too for unleaded and I bet you could bring those mileage numbers up.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation woops

disregard heads,misread year,those heads will be just fine,inspect and install new stem seals,block off egr passage in the intake and run it.