Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

Default temp sending unit

hi guys, its me again, as you can tell i am pretty new to this and i do appreciate all your help. i am building my 71 cuda with a 440 4bbl from scratch. was wondering if the temp sending unit was the same for 70 and 71,and if they install on the water pump hoesing. i saw one looked like it was 1/2 inch with 2 terminals and one looked 3/8 with 1 terminal. just abit confused to what went were. the car is not origanal so i would take the easy out. plus this would tell me which wire harness to buy, 70 or 71. the car has ralley gauges and is a ragtop if that helps. I guess what I am asking that at this point, since it is not original, is it easier to build and wire it as a 70 as opposed to a 71. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Inactive User

I'd go the easy way, as long as its reliable. I use a mechanical temp guage from summit that screws right into the water pump housing. Dont need no electricity. But an electrical is just as simple. I like mechanical cause you can see the temp even with the car shut down. May have to use electrical if the hole in the water pump is small. I took out the heater to get rid of the two hoses running from the housing, so I was able to use bigger holes.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:08 PM

The large sender with two terminals is for a car with warning lights and no gauge, one terminal grounds a green "COLD" light when the coolant temp is below 140°F, the other terminal grounds a red "HOT" light when the temperature reaches 240°F.

The single terminal sender is for a gauge, if you have a rallye cluster you would need a harness for the single terminal sende