Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin 318 to 440 conversion . . .

I'm finally going to do it !!! I've tossed around many ideas with my car, but I've finally decided to make the swap !!!

I'll be converting my 67' Belvedere from a 318 to a 440 this winter, I already have the engine and tranny, the motor mounts, a tranny cooler, a power steering cooler, and a Edlebrock 1406 (600 w/elc. choke). The car has a 3:23 SureGrip in it already, but I'm considering going up to a 3:55 or a 3:91 ?!?! Also, I'm having my radiator changed to a three row, to keep things at a "normal" temperature. I was wondering what you guys recommend in the way of parts to help finish the conversion . . . i.e. torque converter, headers, distributor, ignition, cam and any other goodies I may be leaving out ?!?! Any personal stories on what to do and what to look out for wouldn't hurt either ?!?!

Just like most people, I'm operating on a "fixed" budget, but I want to make this car fun and reliable, like a MOPAR should be !!! Especially since this car is my "daily driver" !!!

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks in advance,

- Mr. B
Old 10-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Inactive User

Big block eh? Sounds good to me!

I will start by saying that 1406 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too small for that motor.

I had one on my 400. Swaped it for a 750 cfm version and saw a 40 wheel hp gain on my g tech meter. No other changes.

The 355's are a good choice for a cruiser.

There are a lot of variables here.

What do you expect from the car? Street cruiser? killler strip monster?

More data please

Old 10-13-2003, 05:02 PM

Red face

Of course you will need a Big block oil pan for a b-body car and motor mounts. You can use the torque converter, if the 440 is not a cast crank or a 6-pack engine. It might be a good time to put in a performance converter & and a hotter cam. A mopar electronic conversion kit is inexpensive and very reliable.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes More info . . .

I'm not going to be on the strip that much, maybe once or twice a year, it will most definitely be a street car. That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't even think of going bigger than a 3:91, and even that's iffy ! I've heard many pros and cons about the 1406's for 440's, but at this "financial" moment it was what I had available to me.

It really boils down to the fact that I've never owned a big block car ever !!! I know that the swap is going to be worth my while, both in fun and value. I'm looking to get my "Big Block Cherry" busted, and if a mostly stock 440 isn't enough (which I would be very surprised if it wasn't) then I'll start making other changes as they're needed. I figured since the engine and tranny were apart and out, now is as good of time as any to do the converter ?!?!

I've read past posts about cams and such, and I know enough to stay away from MOPAR's cams (sad to hear) I've read that Racer Brown's are good, Comp Cams aren't bad, but what about Hughes Engine Cams ?!?! Good or bad ?!?!

Let me know what you think . . .

- Mr. B
Old 10-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Inactive User

Don't forget about the other essentials. For a daily driver I would upgrade to larger torsion bars and decent springs in the rear. 3.55:1 are an excellent gear. Stick with a converter in the 2300-2600 range.

Dave is right on the carb. It is just way too small for your application. Sorry but those do sell well on ebay. Something in the 750 range will work.

Alot of guys on the moparts chat page do not have too many nice things to say about hughes. I like my Comp, but forthe money i would go for an RB cam.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Inactive User

Confused Carb size . . .

Carb brand preference aside, do you guys really think that I will not be happy with anything smaller than a 750 ?!?! I know this is a dumb question to ask, but what kind of gas mileage should I expect with a stock-to-mild 440 with a 750 carb on 93 octane ?!?!

Is the performance that noticeable a difference between a 650 and a 750 in this case ?!?!

- Mr. B

Now I'm off to the corner to kick my own butt . . .
Old 10-14-2003, 11:36 PM
Inactive User

Like I said, I've used the smaller carb on my 400. Nothing too agressive, and it wasn't enough. It ran fine, but huge difference in power with the 750. It simply can't supply enough air fuel in the higher revs. It's not a question of happiness, more just math. The 440 is simply too big for a 600 cfm eddy. If it's all you've got, then run it till you can buy a bigger one. Sell off something the wife likes, it'll be worth it.

Set up properly, the size shouldn't make a huge difference in economy. Cam and so on will do that.

Brand does make a difference. Series and size selection is crucial on a demon, so consult with cuda66273 if your going to spring for one of those. The flow ratings are much different on them. Don't ask summit, they will sell you an 850, which is not for you.

In the carter/edelbrock you will need 750 for sure. 750 is not much of a stretch for a holley either.

If your going with a mostly stock 440, then regular stuff should yeild good results. Headers are a good upgrade, iron itake is ok, but a dual plane aluminum is better. Explain your goals, and mostly stock combo to Jim at Racer Brown, and he will set you up with a cam. Then get a distributer curved by cuda66273, and run a good ignition box with it. Dual 2 1/4" should be good for what your planning, but you could step up to 2 1/2" if you plan upgrades down the line.

Is this helping, or am I just rambling here
Old 10-15-2003, 12:11 AM

I would stay away from the EB junk carbs.

Either go with a Demon (by Don) or get yourself a spread bore intake and a TQ.

The 600 will really hinder that 440. I had a Holley 3310 750 vac secondary on a mostly stock 383 (2 bbl cam) and that carb was just about right for that engine.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Inactive User

First, you say you are on a budget - well, most of us are. I'd like you to come up with a monthly average dollar figure you can spend on the car for the next 12 months. That can give us a good basis for recommendations on what you should purchase, and in what order. Remember, your car will NEVER be "done".

You can't go wrong, at this stage by using a small T/Q (800cfm - huge secondaries, tiny primaries).

If it's a daily driver, have Cuda66273 set up your distributor. With the change to a 440, a daily driver wouldn't need as steep a rear end as a small block. I'd stick to the 3.23s, until you got a chance to drive it, then make the decision between those and 3.73s.

So, aside from those small thoughts, I agree with the other guys' suggestions.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up Response . . .

Sorry about the delayed response, been out of the office for a bit . . .

"nhdriver" - The engine has a forged crank, and it's a non-six pack engine. I already have the electronic conversion kit, it works great, thanks for the suggestions !

To all of you guys commenting on the "carb" issue . . . I'm now seriously looking at a new ROAD DEMON JR, 725 CFM. Does anyone know if this carb has a problem bolting up to the stock cast iron intake ? and what about any throttle linkage problems ? I will be buying the electronic choke as well, when the time comes.

"Doug Wilson" - As far as "budget" goes, after potentially springing about $300 for the new carb, I'll have another $700 to toss around right now. After that, a month to month spending schedule is a little fuzzy, but I could probably spend about $100 to $200 a month. What were you talking about when you suggested "Cuda66273 set up my distributor" ?!?! I've read many posts by him (Cuda66273), and I know he's extremely knowledgeable.

I've also been trying to find information and a website that sells Racer Brown Cams, haven't had much luck for some reason ?!?! Anybody know where to get one, and what they cost + lifters ?!?!

I really appreciate everyone's help with this !!! As I said before, I'm looking forward to getting my "Big Block Cherry busted", but I want to do it right the first time !!!

Thanks again,

- Mr. B
Old 10-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Inactive User

Racer Brown is a one man operation. He doesn't have a website. The only way you can reach him is by phone. The ultimate Phone Book sticky on the top of the forum will have his number. Talk to cuda about your combo before buying a carb. He may surprise you with his choices but he is usually dead on.