Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Inactive User

Default frame repair

i did something stupid. big shock. i know, bu6t still. in october, on my way to the bristol bash, i slid my duster off the side of a mountain at 70 mph. it sucked. damn near rolled the car. scared the ever living bejeezuzz outta me too. anyway, i knew i demolished the left front fender, and that seemed to me about the worst of it. untill i crawled under the bak of it last night to install a trunk mounted battery. near as i can tell, the tow truck drivers hooked the chain into a hole in the frame. when retrieving the car (sideways, digging it out every few feet and moving the towtruck with the winch) the chain ripped the framerail from the rear spring hanger to right behind the rear tire, flaying the metal outward. its nasty.
(side note: i had to drive the car to tennesse from charlotte and back before i found this. i was also doing stupid speed on the interstate. god had my angels looking out for me. it coulda let go....)
anyway, i see that auto rust technicians out of new jersy makes a frame repair kit that repairs the whole framerail on that sie of the car. my question is, is it safe? will it be as strong or stronger than the origonal? ajnd should i just go ahead and do the passengers side even though its still sound?
thanks guys.
mike
Old 01-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Frame repair.....

Well mopar muscle did an article on them once and praised them......... I would say do both sides just to ensure that if you some how weakend the entire subframe you now have fresh metal to make it as strong or stronger than stock. I remember in the article that they (Mopar Muscle) recommended this type of replacement for any car with frame damage or even swapping up to a big block.

hope that helps
Old 01-06-2003, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

Default Hummmm

Hey c318
I would take a look at the other side and check for rust damage.
If you find it to be in sound condition dont bother it.
I know up there in the hills you get more salt them we do.
But all in all if it aint broke don`t fix it.