Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 a body and e body spindles

I was reading in the tech section of one of my back issues of mopar muscle and it said 73 thru 76 abody and all 73-74 e bodies use the same disc brake spindles. Any one ever do the swap?
Old 09-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

Yep, they're identical.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Inactive User

thats one way to do it, ,or,, there is kits that are available..

coolcarz
Old 09-20-2002, 08:09 PM

Yes, there are kits available, however most of us here don't mind getting our hands dirty to save $500.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Hands dirty! Ha ha ha ha! For $500, I would...well, nevermind.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

Well, I got new everything, spindles , a-arms, and the rest... no used nothing..... came right to my door...no problem.. I liked the fact of getting my hand dirty with new grease, I dont like junk yards, unless there is no other way, It's new for me, no worrying that the used parts are ok.... not curbed bent and all..... but , Hey to each his own. my car is worth it, and ad all other factors it's worth the extra 200 to 500 dollars... gez if I had to.. (and I dont) I would just not go out to eat for 1 or 2 months, there's my 200.00 to 500.00 back, with all new parts on my mopar.... but whatever a person does, it is nice to have the larger bolt pattern for sure..

coolcarz
Old 09-21-2002, 12:19 AM

Another issue with the aftermarket kits is that you must have 15" wheels to use them. I've got 14" Magnum 500 rims on my car. I'm not going to spend another $800 dollars in rims and tires, just so I can use an aftermarket brake kit that I paid $500 too much for.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:34 AM
Inactive User

I like the choice of the tires you have with 15" , thats some of the reason of doing the conversion, plus my kit came with a-arms with b body ball joints.......stronger... also the aftermarket spindles are better made... some areas I dont like to skimp, stopping is one of them... I'm also replacing the brake lines, with new tubing... its all good....

coolcarz
Old 09-21-2002, 02:21 AM
Inactive User

I know a mechanic who installed one of the "kits" and he claims that it contained quite a few off shore inferior parts, and was hard to install, was he blowing smoke? The only used parts on the Mopar conversion are the upper control arms and spindles, all other parts are procured locally dirt cheap and readily available any where in the U. S. of A. under warranty. Another thought are the kits really for street use 5-7000 miles on a set of pads don't appear to be reasonable wear?
Old 09-21-2002, 05:33 AM
Inactive User

I did a front disk conversion on my 70 Dart with parts off a 73 Duster. Yuk... If I could do it overe again I would have bought a kit. It threw my front track width off by about two inches total, so I had to buy new tires, when I tried to replace the prop valve the lines rounded off (yes I used line wrenches) so I had to buy all new metal lines (that didn't fit well) took me forever to get my wheel/tire combo worked out. I cost me roughly $900-$1200 to get it where I am today. If it were my choice, I'd just bite the bullet and get the new stuff.

L.C.D.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:40 AM
Inactive User

i did the junkyard swap myself. sure, it would have been easier to go and buy a kit, but then i have to pay tuition, too.
i understand the pain of rounded fittings and teething problems wioth the new suspension. my width wasnt thrown off any, though. all in all, id recommend the junkyard swap to anyone. heck, ill even be a nice guy and offer to sell some of the sets of spindles and upper contol arms i have for it....
mike
Old 09-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks for the help. As for junkyard parts, I love them. I could spend all day at the boneyard then hunting for parts, find an old newyorker and cash out on one of the seats and take a nap. Is this normal?
Old 09-21-2002, 10:55 AM
Inactive User

if its not, were both screwed.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:16 PM
Inactive User

Ok lets make this simple, go find New spindles ,and New upper a-arms W/ B-body ball joint for a A-body and brackets in a junk yard or auto parts store.. It aint gunna happen... and if you do, see if they cost you less the 500.00.for all of them. .... and on these junk yard converts where is the caliper located? is it moved from the back to front? if you already have disc brakes? even if ya had drums, calipers are in front? (I think) and some of the racing kits, not made for your car only, may be a problem, my calps are where they were.. if I need pads i use the same pads as any other mopar, no special pads... I did not just jump on the first kit i saw, I did lots of checking... I'm sure not one to throw money away, my car will be mine for many years, this is something , you dont do every 2 years, for the long term I was not wanting to start out with parts already 25+ years old from junk yard, that obviously some one already got tons of use out of, who knows where its been.hehehe (you ever watch people drive).. a dash or console something like that is ok used, not gunna find that stuff new.. or even brake parts used would be ok, IF they did not make New after market parts...... it comes down to this ... want New parts or used parts to steer and stop with? either way will work.. (you hope)... maybe thats why the car is in the junk yard.. brake failure.. lol

coolcarz
Old 09-21-2002, 04:39 PM

The only time that a spindle fails is either when the wheel bearings seize, due to improper maintenance or during and accident. OVer 90% of the spindles in the salvage yards are just as good as the new spindles the MP sells as part of the kit. If you use the spindles from a '73 -'76 A body, you do not need to do anything with the upper control arms, as the ball joints are the same.

The caliper locater can also be had, when you get the spindles. everything is is purchased new/rebuilt from Autozone.

The junkyard swap only takes a little knowledge/skill, where as the MPBRAKES kit can by done by a 3 year old.

As far as having more choices in tires with a 15", I really don't care as I am happy with the stock size rim and tire combo. I don't ahve a need for a 15" tire. with that being the case, the $800 to upgrade the tires can be better used in my suspension (new rear springs, anti-sway bars, torsion bars and a front end rebuild kit). Those things will make my car handle much better than an upgrade to 15s.

As far as the LArger brakes having better stopping power, are you trying to say that it is pointless to go to disc brakes using smaller discs, just because they don't have the stopping power of the larger disc?? Guess what, the smaller disc is still superior to drums! I would rather have the stopping power of a smaller disc, than the lack of stopping power of a drum!

And yes... It is normall to spend the day at a salvage yard and to take a nap in an old MOPAR. I think that most of us true addicts have done that at least once or twice...
Old 09-21-2002, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

If you like the fact of hunting around and chancing the spindles you get are ok ,thats fine.... the upper a-arm ,I got ,are Not the same, they have a larger ball joint.. new aftermarket spindles are beefyer, period... never said that the smaller rotors have less stopping power then drums.. duh.. that goes with out saying.. fact is, I Dont like stock rims, so with the smaller bolt pattern I was stuck with few choices.... and installing the kit can be done by a 3 year old even if it was bought from a junk yard and autozone..... . and the only thing thats good once used is money..IMO.. every thing else is chancey.....lets just say someone goes and gets everything they can at autozone, I would still go and buy New spindles and the upper a-arms w/larger b joint... but thats me ... as long as your happy with your used parts on your car cool... knowledge and skill comes from time and repair manuals.. which having the money to spend on new parts has nothing to do with either... just like I would not put a wiper motor or heater fan in my car from something totally different, just because I think I could rig it to work, I'd go spend 100.00 dollars for one thats for my car, ya a 3 year old could put a new wiper motor in (per instructions) , compared to having to having the skill and knowledge to wire and rig one thats not right, gezzzz give me a brake...... 800.00 for new tires and rims, where are these deals , junk yards? I'll spend at least 1000.00... and salvage yards are not getting to many more old mopars to camp in, and once again ... if you want used stuff or new ,, thats the difference. not trying to cause friction, but please try not to act like spending the money on new parts is a lack of knowledge/or skill..... I throw away spark plugs that probley could be cleaned and reused, but, because I dont reuse them, does not mean the cheap azz that would is any smarter or more knowledgeable or skillful... true addicts are not all junk yard hunters. my first car was a mopar, and I still have it... oh and I also throw away bars of soap when they are about 3/4 gone.
even if we diagree on some things , there is one fact that we can argue... we all own Mopars and love them.... peace

coolcarz
Old 09-21-2002, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

Question dusterbd

Would you really sell a set of spindles? Since I work full time and go to school four days a week. What little time I have off I would like to spend it putting parts on my car not searching salvage yards, and when I do find parts I spend to much time fighting to get them off the car
Chuck
Old 09-21-2002, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coolcarz
just like I would not put a wiper motor or heater fan in my car from something totally different, just because I think I could rig it to work, I'd go spend 100.00 dollars for one thats for my car
So your going back to this one. Just becuase I have a 3-speed wiper motor from a '73 Cuda that will work in a '69 Coronet. It's the exact same motor! The '73 just used a different connector, than the '69. That's not rigging something to work. That's knowing what parts interchange, instead of allowing some company to screw you!

Honestly, I would consider the MPBRAKES kit, if they actually had the smaller rotors (no, the smaller rotor does NOT mean smaller bolt pattern). MPBRAKES will not even consider the smaller rotor. Then again, for my application they won't even sell me the single piston caliper. They would prefer that I use the 4 piston caliper, just because it is correct for the year of my vehicle. The single piston caliper with the smaller rotors will fit right in to my 14" rims (with the large bolt pattern). Both the rotors and the calipers were from the '73 - '76 A bodies.

For my application I wouldn't need the larger B-body upper control arms, because I have a B-body (as stated in my signature) that already has the B-body upper control arms. For the A-bodied cars, yes they will need the correct upper control arm.

IF the only thing good used is money, than you better get rid of your car as it is nothing but a collection of used parts. Oh and the car was used before you ever bought it. Don't forget to change your brakes, every time you drive your car, because they are used as well.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:10 AM
Inactive User

The best way to do the conversion on a 67-72 A-body is take the entire front suspension from a 73-76 A-body an assembly costs $150.00 at the local yards. I disassemble the front end have it sand blasted, powder coated and install urethane bushings. Larger torsion bars from Mopar, large rotors and new calipers from the zone, the Timkens bearings are also installed. The powder coated 15x7 cop wheels complete the package. Jack up the engine and install the new package with the correct sway bar and you are set until the pads need changing. Cost approximately the same as the after market conversion kit for a complete front end. This 100 degree heat is causing stress anxiety and pissing me off, I really "need" to get to the yards, I know they have something valuable for me to discover.
Old 09-22-2002, 09:21 AM
Inactive User

I must be the luckiest person I know. I grew up in the local junk yards digging up MOPAR parts in the late 60's and 70's. I learned the auto trade by rebuilding muscle cars when they were only a year old. I still rebuild MOPARS but now there aren't any parts in the local yards, so several years ago I started buying parts cars for my own projects, now when I need a spindal or disc brake setup I just go down to the lower forty and pull the parts I need. Thanks to an understanding wife we have over 5 acres of vintage iron, over 100 MOPARS and a few assorted off brands. As far as used parts vs. new aftermarket, I have almost always gone the niced used parts road. Original MOPAR-- made in the USA --just can't be beat for quality and reliability. This has always worked for me on circle track cars, drag cars and street muscle. Good Luck to all.
Old 09-22-2002, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

yeah, ill sell youi a set of spindles. matter of fact, for 100 bucks, i can sell you upper and lower control arms, spindles, brake strut rods, and calipers. everything but rotors and bearings. if you wanna go cheaperm i can sell you just the spindles and upper control arms. you tell me.
mike
Old 09-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

dusterbd all I need are the spindles, caliper adapters, and calipers they are going on a b-body so I don't need upper control arms. Do you have the caliper adapters for the large rotors? If not I will settle for the smaller ones any thing is better than drums!
Chuck
Heres my e-mail savoy1964@hotmail.com
Old 09-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

no big rotor adaptors. only small. still lookin for a set myself...
how much ae they worth to you?
gimme an e-mail at mc40535@cp.appstate.edu as my outlook express is not working. again.
mike