Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Inactive User

rolleyes2 Couple of questions on a Ram 1500 5.9

I have a 2002 Ram 1500 Quad with a 5.9L engine. I have had it about 2 years, and love it. BUT it has a couple of issues I can't seem to get a straight answer on.
First is a ticking from underneath if it idles, the longer it idles the faster it ticks. Can't be a good thing. It was taken in for a recall on some gadget in the transmission about a year ago. They said that's what the ticking was, but it's doing it again, if it ever stopped completely I can't say for sure. I've had several different opinions on this one. I don't want anyone tearing into it unless I know for sure what could be up with it. Everything from a flywheel, to the tranny, to 'gee I dunno'.
Also, I just had new plugs and wires put on it, about 6 months ago, now I keep getting the engine light on, and the code says misfire on cyl. 2. I've had this checked and it keeps doing it.
NOW both my brake light and ABS lights are on, and won't go off. Is this just something that's the norm for these trucks? Brake pads and all seem to be in good shape, new pads were installed about 6 months ago also.
It has 114,000 miles on it now, mostly highway. It gets crappy gas mileage, which has become worse in the last couple of months for some reason.
Any idea's on any of this trucks troubles?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

Default You need

to go to a reputable Dodge dealer to get an analysis of your codes. They can tell you what is really going on. On the ticking sound, I'd bet on a cracked flex plate, something you definitely want to address asap.
The dealers crew sees these issues daily, and should be able to remove any guess work from the analysis.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM

If the ticking noise is flexplate related the noise should change as the trans is shifted from Neutral to Drive and change with load.

When both the brake and abs lights come on it's usually caused by a faulty abs sensor on top of the rear axle.