Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Circle Track Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:22 AM
Inactive User

Default Mind boggling tech question

Hey guys, I have been working on an issue for two days now. Ill try to make it short and sweet to the points and issue:

- the engine I am running is a 360 magnum
- heads I just put back on it for the second time in two weeks. The first time I ran them the valves ceased on some of the guides after about 5 minutes time. The valves ceasing in the head, bent a few of the push rods, and then those lifters popped out. When the valves bent and lifters popped out of the galley, the oil pressure dropped to 0 on the gauge. I shut the car off fairly quick after the oil pressure dropped.
- some of the lifters got damaged as well so I replaced them with Hughes EDM Mopar/AMC lifters for pushrod oiling.
- I put everything back together, and I can not get oil up my pushrods to the rockers. I can see the EDM hole dumping oil onto the camshaft, but nothing through the top pushrods/rockers.
- If i pop out a lifter and prime the engine, I can see oil dumping through the lifter hole in the galley.
-*** The oil gauge shows 75 psi idle and 100 psi reving it slightly. I tried to fire the car up and let it run for a couple of minutes and still nothing.

Im worried about letting it run any longer with no top end lubrication happening. I know the gauge is showing high oil pressure, but could the oil pump be messed up? I definitely don't want to tear the pan off and replace the pump if its not broken.

The only other thing I could think of is the oil galley being cracked from the lifters popping out somewhere bleeding off enough pressure not to allow the oil to travel up the pushrods.

Im out of patience, time, money, and ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Old 08-02-2015, 01:34 PM

call Mr Bill Richardson on monday morning 434-846-0043
Old 08-02-2015, 06:42 PM

Not 100% sure but I would check the hole in the lifter to make sure when the lifter is on the heal of the cam that oil hole is lined up with the main oil galley. Maybe the Magnum block is a little different. I think im explaining it right. IF not call me 760 954 3342 Mike
Old 08-02-2015, 10:19 PM

Have you run a priming tool on a drill in the engine. And no I would not crank it anymore till I found the problem. If u don't have one make one out of a old shaft knock the gear off and weld a socket on to it.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Have you run a priming tool on a drill in the engine. And no I would not crank it anymore till I found the problem. If u don't have one make one out of a old shaft knock the gear off and weld a socket on to it.
Yes, i ran a priming tool on the engine for quite some time. I actually went down after I couldn't get it to prime and bought a half in drill and ran it till it burned up (literally melted). I agree completely, im not going to run it again until I figure out whats happening. I cant afford to lock this thing up.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgracerx View Post
call Mr Bill Richardson on monday morning 434-846-0043
I couldn't call Bill Monday, I was slammed at work. I just tried to give him a call and he's going to be free this afternoon. Thank you. Hopefully Bill will just say oh yeah its xyz... I can dream anyway.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Inactive User

Default Im stumped

Sometimes its just easier to show people what i'm talking about instead of trying to explain. So far I have tried:

- 3 different types of lifters (All AMC/Chrysler oiling)
- 3 different kinds of rockers
- 3 different oil filters
- 2 types of push rods
- 2 types of oil types Brad Penn 20/50 and Mobile 1
- checked the oil pressure coming out of the china wall (85 psi)
- made a custom oil pressure lifter tool to check the oil pressure in the galley. (85 psi)
- 3 different types of drills to prime. One 3/8 drill which i ran forever getting 80 psi. One 1/2 drill which i ran till it literally burned the engine up. One Extra heavy duty 1/2 which I ran forever with the same results as the other two. (80-85 psi).
- Verified oiling holes in push rods.
- Verified oiling holes in lifters.
- Hand primed each lifter with oil.
- Tried filling pushrods while sitting on lifters with oil.
- Called Howards Cams and verified with them I should see oil coming out of the lifters when just sitting in the lifter bore with no pushrod.

I can feel the lifter pump up with oil when its priming. I have put air to the side of the lifter and felt it coming out the top.

I am completely out of answers, I have never seen anything like this before. Anyone have any ideas? It almost is impossible...

Please watch the video to see for yourself:
https://youtu.be/mNdvF_rde1k
Old 08-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Inactive User

After watching your video, it seems like the only thing it can be is that the relief around the circumference of the lifter body (where the oil hole should be) isn't lining up with the oil galley for whatever reason. Lifters being such a tight clearance fit to the bores, if the galley is always covered by the major O.D. of the lifter, you'll never get any pressurized oil inside the lifter.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder18 View Post
After watching your video, it seems like the only thing it can be is that the relief around the circumference of the lifter body (where the oil hole should be) isn't lining up with the oil galley for whatever reason. Lifters being such a tight clearance fit to the bores, if the galley is always covered by the major O.D. of the lifter, you'll never get any pressurized oil inside the lifter.
GP is right. If the band around the lifter isn't in the correct place you'll never get oil pressure thru the pushrods. That happens a lot with Oldsmobiles when someone installs Chevy lifters.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

Default oiling

hi have u tried rolling the eng threw as u spin the oil pump ? the lifter hole has to line up to allow oil to pass ! I rember my first mag convert took a lot to get oil up to rockers !!
Old 08-09-2015, 08:46 PM

If its coming out the edm hole in the bottom of the lifter shouldn't that suggest the "band" is lining up. I guess what I would suggest is to take a lifter you are going to throw away and cut a grove lenght wise . Use a cut off wheel and then slide it in the bore with the groove in line with the port in the lifter bore then prime it and see if you get anything.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 AM
Inactive User

The lifters either dont allow allow oil through, or the groove in the lifter does not line up with the holes in the lifter bore.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:32 PM

rolleyes2 Rocker Arms

Have you tried just removing the rocker arms and seeing if oil comes out the pushrods? Have you cranked the engine over as you prime? It would seem that you start at one end and follow the flow or lack thereof to the end.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Inactive User

In his video, he pulls a lifter and oil flows like crazy, so the passage is lined up, it isnt flowing any oil at the center at all.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:07 AM

My bet it's the lifters, they are not allowing oil to pass thru to the pushrod.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Just because it says AMC on the box doesn't mean that they are