Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Gripe Share your "Jack-leg" mechanic stories here.

As previously reported on various threads here and in other parts of the forum, I've been slowly fixng things on my 68 Roadrunner and finding a lot of various screwups. Today, I was putting the front brake assemblies back together. After finding the switched brake shoes on the rear axle on one side, I decided it'd probably be a good idea to pull the drums and inspect the front brakes too, good thing I did!!
I found a bad outer wheel bearing, but that was just from simple neglect, what really irked me was someone had literally BEAT the dust caps to pieces! I was cleaning them and once I got the grud off of them, I noticed they had been hammered so hard they were cracked and had wear spots where they had been bent in so far they had wear marks from the spindle!!!
I'll replace them, but it's danged aggravating! :angry:
On top of that, the left shoes were in good adjustment, while the rights were extremely loose, no wonder the guy wrecked the car, eh?
I found myself in the garage, not for the 1st time, cussing the damn JACKLEGS who had worked on this thing before I ever touched it.
Don't know what a Jack-leg is? It's a term the old mechanics in my area used to give to a mechanic who was so incompetent, they shouldn't have been allowed to work on lawn mowers, door hinges, etc etc, let alone a car!!
My dad's old mechanic friend "Joe" was the Model T-A, brass era and flathead anything expert in our town. One time we were there and Joe was a cussing a storm and I asked him what was wrong, I was about 8 years old at the time and didn't know enough to leave grease monkeys alone when irritated!
He turned around and held up a lugbolt with badly stripped threads from the old Dodge he was working and said,"SOME DAMN JACKLEG CROSSTHREADED THE S.O.B., EFFING, @@##$%%$$%#$#$!!!!! THING!!!"
Dad hurried me up and out of the shop. Joe was normally the nicest old feller in the world, but I never forgot the look on his face, and since then have gotten to know how felt that day!!!!
Anyone else have some sad stories of automotive repair incompetence they'd like to share?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

Angry I got one

When I bought my Duster 340, it would occasionally backfire through the carb and die while at idle. Most embarrassing to have happen in front of your peers. I decided I had had enough of the trouble and began investigation. I decided to replace the old dual point distributor that was in the car, (even tho it was supposed to have electronic ignition) and replace it with a mopar performance distributor, when I went to drop in the new distributor, it wouldnt connect with the cam gear that drives the distributor. I was stumped, I tried a junkyard dist I had laying around the garage, no dice on it either, put the dual point back in, it works fine. Now not knowing what to make of it, I measure the total length of the distributor shafts and find the dual point is 1/8" or so longer than the others. What? I decide I will go with an MSD billet dist, it will surely fit, so I thought, when I get it, it wont connect to the gear either, sure enough, it is short too. I contact MSD only to be belittled by their tech who says they have used them on thousands of small blocks and the shafts are NOT too short. Being sufficiently embarrassed, then, and only then, do I notice that the cam gear has a lot of play in it, I decide to remove it and investigate, what do I find? The moron who assembled this motor had never installed the bushing for the intermediate shaft to the oil pump, letting the shaft ride down lower than it was supposed to in the pump, and also letting the gear to the cam run lower than intended. I cussed a blue streak and wondered what other oddities I was bound to face with this motor. I installed a intermediate shaft bushing and a new intermediate shaft and voila, the distributors fit beautifully. I'm glad I found it before the gears running lower had eaten themselves up on the cam and intermediate shaft. That would have been disastrous.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Inactive User

79 Z28 story from several years back. I picked it up from a buddy of mine for dirt cheap. No rust, low miles but wouldn't run, the only thing I knew about it was that someone had done a valve adjustment god knows why. I hauled the car to the shop, and did a quick valve adjustment on it and I'll be damned if it didn't fire right up, but the noises it made while running had dogs in 3 counties howling. After taking the motor apart, we revealed a total mess. The cam, was completely round, not a lobe left on it. (That particular cam is now spending the rest of it's life as a fairly nice table lamp.) We were able to save the block after taking it .60 over and put a nice kit in it, plus worked over the trans a bit too. I drove the car 2 weeks later to the buddy I bought it off of and he about crapped his pants. I told him next time he needed someone to turn wrenches to give me a call.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Banned

Biggrin

Helped a friend tow home an old '62 SS Implal with a 327. Clained it had a rod kocking and wanted to pull it to build to put in a '64 he had. The old man that owned it told him the rod was knocking and it would hardly run. We started tearing it out of the car. Thomas on top and me under the ole car. After a few min.s I yelled to him and asked how much he had pulled off the car, and told him to put it all back on. I refused to tell him why, I just wanted to try something. Got it all bolted up again, put in a fresh batt. and it fired without any problems. All the torque converter bolts had backed off and it sounded just like a rod knocking. Nice to buy a 327 SS car for a $100 with a rod knockin to find out it was just converter bolts loose.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Banned

someone left a 2 pound ball peen hammer in the wing of my dads stinson (hadnt been apart since the 70's)
well, a look at the logbooks? and it was a good friend of ours that left it!
Old 05-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Inactive User

Bought a rubber bumper 70' 440 cuda for 50$ after the guy "tuned it up" and couldn't get it started again. Drug it home, wired the cap in the _correct_ rotation and varoom varoom. I'm an idiot, traded it for an 8-n-3 chunk. This was about 82'. Who knew.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Default here's a two-fer

i set out to totally re-do the front end on my '73 dart custom 318. i am pretty profecient with everything involving old cars (especially mopar) but this was my first front end.
the kit that i ordered was far from perfect, lacking some stuff i needed (inner tie rods) and had a bunch of stuff i didn't need, on top of being three days late getting here.
everything was going good until i got to the tie rod ends. the outer tie rod just wouldn't go into the hole! i looked at it for a while, thought it out and took a drill bit to the damn thing. after a little more consideration and making it fit right, i noticed that the tie rod had to go in from the bottom, not the top. new lower ball joint assembly for me. these are the lessons that you don't soon foget. like the first time you over-torque valve cover gaskets.
on the same job i put the cams in backwards on the upper control arms and had the guy at the alignment shop look at me like a total dumb*ass.

not the worst that could have happened for the first one i guess.

dan
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Inactive User

Paid a hack exhaust shop to put a 3" exhaust system on my Lebaron turbo, they bent it so that when teh rear axle went up, it hit the pipe and shoverd that into the floor, torched the rear panel (behinf the bumper and bumper cover atleast) to clear the muffler, and tucked the muffler up to the floor of the trunk I took it back the next day and had them remove it from the gas tank back and had them fix it the following monday. Ran it with just the Turbo and cat for the rest of the weekend When the shop manager (a person of middle eastern decent, who drive a riced out base model Honda Accord, yea I should have known better) took it for a test drive and the car scared the ---- out of him, he turned ghost white when he told me he took it for a test drive, followed by him saying, "That car's got a lot of pick up, doesn't it?" I had to bite my tongue till I walked out of the office. Dad and I laughed our @$$' off when i relayed the manager's question to him.

This car also had a molded PCV valve hose replace with heater hose that had been X cut with a box cutter and had the valve droped into the X cut.

Both turbo cars and my ZJ had Midas restrictors...er....exhausts installed on them too, by the dealership.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

I had a POS 89 ford bronco xlt with a 300 inline 6. Well I moved to an apartment Minnesota and wasn't allowed to work on it. It needed an oil pan gasket due to a leak. I take it to a reputable shop and the jackass didn't disconnect the exhaust from the manifold when he jacked up the engine. Well needless to say I had a nasty exhaust leak bad enough to kick the computer into limp mode,And the oil pan still leaked. $400 gone! Now I'm off to automaxx, another jack leg shop to fix my exhaust. That bent pipe is a one piece unit with the cat and a dealer item only$800 later and they routed the egr pipe against the frame and wore a hole through it in less than a week. Thank God they warrantied it. Now a week after that the damn thing craps the timing gears. Paid another bozo $500 to replace them. he never dropped the oil pan to get the rest of the broken gears out. The wife drives it home and tells me that a funny red light came on while she was driving. Yea, that was the lack of oil pressure light because of the chunks of gear stuck to the pick up screen. Cost me another $200 to get this dips#!t to fix what he should have done in the first place. This Bronco had 78,000 on the clock and all this crap went on. The day I sold it I never cried so hard. My wife though I was sad. If she only knew that they were tears of joy because I knew I would never see that metallic abortion ever again.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:55 AM

Got another story to tell, my POS 94 Ford always used a lil power steering fluid. I had to keep it topped off all the time. I don't drive it much so I never bothered with it. I had a brake failure with it last week so I took it to a local shop where I know the fellas pretty well and just said fix it. I also tossed them 2 new power steering hoses and said put these on while you're at it.
I get back to check on the truck and they are cussin and fussin with the power steering hoses. I ask, "didnt the ones I get you fit?" They said that wasn't the problem, the ones still on there was! Turns out someone had band-aided the hoses, patched and spliced and wire tied them together, you should have seen the mess of crap they pulled out from under the hood of that Ford!!!
Made me almost feel guilty I let someone else fiddle with that mess......almost!
You should have seen those PS hoses, I swear, I've seen umbilical cords that were less twisty!! Yeah, those kind...
Old 06-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Inactive User

Got another one, and this one was completely my fault. I didn't get hurt too bad aside from a few scratches, but talk about a bonehead thing to do.

Several years back, that same Z I talked about earlier was having tranny issues. Well anyway, a buddy of mine and I bartered out the work. He built the trans and I hung a set of headers and a complete exhaust on his 944 Porsche. So I was under the car, not using jackstands like a jackass. Everyone else had headed off to the junkyard to go shopping and there I was under the under the car working away, well then it happened, I kicked the jack and the car fell. I was ok except for being pinned under the car, then it started to rain, Yippeeeeee. It was about 2 hours or so before anyone got back. I had fallen asleep and was takin a nap since I had some free time on my hands only to wake up to my buddy screaming and tugging at my leg since they thought I was dead.

Note to self, put the dang thing on a lift next time.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:41 PM
Inactive User

wow Here's one from Pep Boys

I'm sure you all know that most of the people that work at the nationwide parts stores are let's just say, ummm, ummm...ok...I'll just say it, completely clueless about CARS! Alternators and wiper blades. Anything more than that is hopeless. I ran out of weatherpak connector inserts the other day, and as my lady was out and about I asked to stop by Pep Boys and pick some up. I had her write down exactly what I was looking for and she goes in and asks - They of course tell her they have no idea what she's talking about. She asks the manager - Clueless. My chick rules so she finally announces to the entire store that she's looking for somebody that actually knows anything about cars. A guy speaks up, she tell's him what she needs and he goes to the computer...This is the best part - She catches a glance at the screen and he's looking up WHEELS! She pretty much lost it at that point, called me on her cell, and I told her to come on home. Today I went to the the same Pep Boys - went to the electrical section, and purchased my mysterious connectors. :chainsaw:
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 AM

This happened to me recently, and while not as horrifying as some of the previous stories, definetly irritating.
I finally needed to replace the rear brake shoes on the Grand Caravan, it was due for inspection so I go and get a set of shoes, wheel cylinders and a hold down kit, take it to a local garage I go to, and said, "do it".
I get the minivan back, fresh inspection sticker, think fine, pay my bill and drive off. I stop and park, then notice my emergency brake goes clear to the floor!
They forgot or overlooked adjusting the rear brakes!! I didnt feel like crawling under the minivan with an adjusting tool, that was why I paid THEM to do the job! Anyway, after a couple of days of setting the E-brake, and applying then disengaging the brakes while I have the minivan in reverse, I get the brakes to adjust up, and everything is cool.
Nothing earthshaking, but damned irritating, I paid good money to have that job done. I guess I should go back to doin all my own car work, that's what I get for being lazy and letting someone else touch my rides!
Old 01-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Inactive User

I hear ya! Can't even trust most of the freakin' dealership 'mechanics' around here to get it right when doing warranty work on my '04 chrysler!(turd)

My story is this;
Back in the mid-1980s, there was a guy that used to run with me and my other friends and he was about as dumb as a box of rocks. He owned a 1979 4x4 Ramcharger that at this point, already had the 318 replaced with the 340 out a '71 Demon that he had wrecked (because he was acting a fool in a rainstorm one day, put it in the ditch and rammed it into a big ass culvert @ about 60mph). Well, he decided one day that he was going to make his own "lift kit" because he wanted to jack his truck up higher. ...See where this is going? He went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of pieces of allthread (grade 5 )to make the U bolts out of. I told him, my brother told him, EVERYBODY told him that this was NOT a good idea....but he pressed on and did it anyway. 2 weeks later, his wife is driving down the highway 50 or so mph, and the ENTIRE REAR AXLE and driveshaft literally FALLS OUT from under the back!!! I was following the truck at the time, and all I could think to say as I watched this happen was, "Stupid M#ther F**ker!" Luckily, nobody got hurt. Dumbass.....:chainsaw:
J. Campbell
Old 01-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Inactive User

Cool The amazing run away axles.

Back when my Volare was still a daily driver I killed the bearings in the 7 1/4. So my father decided to help me out and have the shop put a rear end under it. Well they keep it for a week and finally call and tell us that the bearings are bad and that they have finally located another Volare to get an axle out of. So we agree and they begin work. I had to have a car for college and my Grandparents talked me into getting the Lebaron from hell but that is another story which I will post next. Well nearly a month goes by total and they finally get the rearend finished and installed (after multiple angry phone calls from my dad). Well we went and picked up the Volare and were given a sad tell of how nonexistant Volare 7 1/4 axles were and that they were the only ones that would fit. So we pay the mechanic and drive the car to a parking lot to meet my girlfriend. We went to dinner and a movie and my parents dropped me and her off so I could Drive her home in the Volare. We just barely got out of the parking lot when the axle with the drum and wheel attached walks out of the passenger side. Seems the mechanic working on my car needed to run home and got some HighSchool student/shop cleaner to "finish up" my car. He slide the axle in put on the drum and bolted up the wheel. He never bolted the bearing retainer into place. So how is that for jack leg mechanics...
Old 01-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Inactive User

Cool Now for the Lebaron from hell....

Well Like I said above my grandparents helped me purchase the Lebaron while the Volare was in the shop. I really needed a car to get back and forth from college in. Well the Lebaron was a real nice car and had alot of options that the volare and our other cars did not have. So I thought nice clean car for school great not an issue or so I thought. Two weeks after I bought the Lebaron it threw a rod! So now I have to pay my grandparents back and have to use my college money to drop a new engine into the Lebaron. Freaking Great! Well I purchased a ramanned engine from a well known builder. The shop installed it in a week and I was once again off and running. Well I noticed the new engine was noisier but thought nothing of it. Even though this is not their fault I am including the part where the new engine drops a valve seat and needs a new head. So both cars are about to come back out and I start finally driving the Lebaron more than parking it in the shop. I still notice the noise. Which somewhere along the line I was told was normal! Well one day I am driving home and the power steering pump falls off the bolts were appearantly never torqued down properly. I got to looking and could only find a few of the bellhousing bolts appearantly. The bolts never put all back in or they fell out. So by now I have found another shop the one I goto for everything now. They fixed all these issues plus found that the "new" engine mounts are collapsed and were causing all that engine noise!!! They said that those mounts looked like the factory ones and not new ones...
Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

HAHA you bet i got a story.

In January the transmission in my truck took a dump and since i had never been into a O/D trans, and not having the time i started looking for people to rebuild it. After talking to a few who had work done by different people I settled on one mechanic that everybody you talked to had nothing but good stories about. The mechanic seemed like a real good guy at first just treating me like one of his kin, but in reality he turned out being nothing but a crooked, lying con-man.
After a week went by that "mechanic", if you can call him one, called and said the transmission was ready and to come and pick it up anytime i wanted to. I went and got it on a Friday evening and since it was cold as it was Dad and me decided to put the thing in the next weekend. That turned out being a mistake because on that monday that mechanic calls with some bullshit story that he'd left a clutch out by mistake and if it was ok he'd take it back and put that clutch in. Like a fool I agreed to let him come get it and another week later he brings one back that was nowhere even close to being the one he came and got, the electrical connections on the side of the case were'nt even close to being the same as my old one had, but after being told by a guy who worked at a big shop with a good name that it would work, we put it in. It worked fine the first 100 ft then started slipping real bad, actually a whole lot worse than what the transmission that came out of the truck originally did.
After pulling it back out me and Dad took it back to the "mechanic" and wound up getting in a big ass arguement with the guy over it, he actually had the balls to say far as the electrical connections went that we just didnt remember unhooking them and was mistaken about the whole thing. I never wanted to jump the bed of Dads truck and whip that guy so bad in my life but the thought of going to jail over it stopped me. I'm actually afraid to think about what I wouldve done to that guy just because of how pissed off i was.
We took him to court and won and still have'nt been able to get the money, $750 back (small claims court is useless)
After that I took the piece of junk that jack leg of a mechanic swapped mine for to the other mechanic i mentioned earlier and you shouldve seen that thing when we took the pan off, every clutch was burnt, there was hardly anything that wasnt busted in it and it was plum full of gravel, metal shavings and dried mud.

All i know for that crooked mechanic is he better like hot places, because after doing business like he does and hiding his lies behind the church hes going straight to hell.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 PM
Inactive User

I myself wrench on MoPars enough I tackle most things myself. But my Dad is a different story. He would always find some jackleg to do his work.
One particular episode was when Dad's Ford pickup needed an engine rebuild It was making a lower engine noise and oil pressure was less than great. He found a jack leg that worked out of his house (trailer) that was 'retired' from a mechanic job with the county maintaining fleet vehicles. He looked kind of young to me to be retired. Anyway the guy quoted my dad a price to rebuild the 400M that was in Dad's F250 he pulled his 5th wheel trailer with.
When we picked it up Dad paid him. We checked under the hood, look good, but I noticed it had been steam cleaned and spray bombed the correct Ford blue. The air cleaner was the wrong one. The factory air cleaner was missing and a crappy Mr. Gasket chrome one was in place. Well, there was no place for the PCV and air valve to hook up to that. I mentioned this to jack leg and he said he must have left it with someone he bought some parts from. He told me I could go by there and pick it up.
We went to the guys business. He was a guy running a small machine shop and sold complete engines also. We told him we needed to pick up the air cleaner that Jack leg left and he looked kind of puzzled. Then he said "OH, from the core engine. Gotcha".
"Core engine?" We inquired.
He said "Yeah, he purchased a used 400M from me. It was running fine but had some miles on it."
We follow him back to where the rebuildable cores were and there sets our original engine.
Dad flipped. He got jack leg on the phone and an argument insued. Jack leg claimed that he didn't say he would rebuild the engine, just "fix" the problem the best way. And if he did a rebuild he would have cost twice as much.
That was NOT the agreement but there was nothing we could really do because we didn't have anything in writing. The most we could do was go over and take it out of his a$$. Not worth it. We got our air cleaner and intalled it. It did seem to run ok so there was no real problems at first.
The first trip Dad took with a good size load on the trailer the thing slung a rod. Dad junked the truck after that.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

Looks like the jack legs me and your daddy dealt with went to the same school Dr.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Inactive User

Hey Custom880, Good to see you back man.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM1500
Looks like the jack legs me and your daddy dealt with went to the same school Dr.
Yeah, if he would have purchased a Dodge pickup I would have done the wrenching for him. I know nothing about Fords but I did have a few buddies that ran Mustangs and listened to them bitch about what a POS Ford engines were.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Inactive User

In 1991 I had a guy work on my brakes. He worked out of his home but he had his garage specially built for a mechanic. He talked a good talk so I had him do the work.His initial examination revealed that I only needed pads.Next day I needed cylinders.Next day I needed a master cylinder.Next day he needed to pull the rear axle. $400.00 later I got my car back.With every additional repair he told me that he would have to charge me $80.00 to tow my car back on his dolley if I didn't approve the repairs. At some point I asked him to inspect and replace the front brake hoses if they needed it since they were probably original from '67.
Guess what failed 6 months later when my wife rear ended a late model T-Bird?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:38 PM

Well, I'm back again, didn't expect to be here but oh well...
I had a transmission fluid leak on my 2000 GC minivan, I'd had the signal box at the front of the transaxle changed due to slight leakage and thought that maybe the dealership had left something loose. Well, about that time the big snow hit in the middle of February, then the kids got sick, then it was my turn and finally today was the first day the combination of good weather and normal health fell in my favor to work on it. Good thing I had my Diesel Ram to fall back on.
Sad thing is though, the only thing wrong was the mechanic who changed my fluid hoses left the clamps loose about 1 and a half turns!!!
Something as simple as that could have smoked the transaxle, especially if the minivan had been owned by someone alot less likely to keep an eye on the fluids than myself. Of course, the minivan would have been blamed cause mopar transaxles are notoriously bad, nod nod wink wink.
It's crap like this that makes me hate it when I let someone else mess with my vehicles, I ALWAYS find something left either loose or boogered up somehow.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:59 AM
Inactive User

Gripe

I have that problem every time someone works on my motorcycle.Literally every time.When I get the bike back I have to check all the nuts and bolts.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

Default Failure to Adjust

A friend of mine decided to change a power brake booster on a 89 Firebird Beater....After a lot of cussing and thrown wrenches (big temper) manage to get the new one in.....put the master on.....then proceed to drive the car like no BRAKE work was done...well needless to say the car ended up in the woods....he had failed to adjust the pushrod length...after closer examination the pushrod wasn't any where near the master.....Lesson Learned
Old 07-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Well, I'm back here again. My daughter had a friend come to visit from New Jersey. I volunteered to take them back, on the return trip I noticed a vibration so I had the local mechanic throw a couple of U-joints in my Diesel Ram.
I figured simple job, he should be able to handle it.
Nope. After I got back out on the road and up to speed and it had a vibration, sad to say. I was already on the road and drove it the entire trip to New Jersey and back, an approximately 1200 mile round trip. I pulled the shaft out when I got home, noticed it wasn't right, had been hammered on pretty severely and ordered a replacement assembly from Chrysler.
He made the typical mistake of having one roller out of place, then forced it all together, I'm getting the original shaft checked out at a driveshaft shop then going to keep it for a spare.
New one goes in, smooth as silk again.
Also, found the oil filter was loose, which explained why my formerly no trouble truck had started using oil, glad I noticed the drips on the undercarriage and check the oil every fill up, regardless!
Thanks, oil change guys!
I'm starting to get scared to let anyone else touch my stuff, I can't wait until I get my garage remodeling done so my truck will finally fit inside and I can work on it setting on a concrete floor with a roof over my head , instead of outside, out in the weather, in the gravel!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga View Post
New one goes in, smooth as silk again.
Also, found the oil filter was loose, which explained why my formerly no trouble truck had started using oil, glad I noticed the drips on the undercarriage and check the oil every fill up, regardless!
Thanks, oil change guys!
I'm starting to get scared to let anyone else touch my stuff,
I quit taking my vehicles to mechanics a LONG time ago. And I plead with my friends and relatives to stay away from the Jiffy Lube and Walmart service centers. Pay the minimum, get minimum result.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Righteous View Post
Pay the minimum, get minimum result.
Amen on that! I've only used the oil change places so I don't have to fool with storing and recycling the oil. Also, I do the single parent gig and still have a couple of years before the kids are out of school and I have more time to look after cars than I do now.
Still, I'm going to raise some heck next time round at the oil change place...
Old 07-27-2007, 08:23 AM
Inactive User

Have a buddy that use to manage a Wal-mart service center. Wal-mart refuses to pay anybody but managment a descent wage. So the people doing the labor are all minimum wagers. Huge turnover, and very sloppy work. He told me they have to replace several engines a year because of doofus mistakes like cross threading an oil filter or not tightening them on. Also things like forgetting to torque wheels back on the car. I wouldn't take a bicycle to Wal-mart for service.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

haha one winter i was working on my polaris indy 600xlt when i over torqued off the head on an inspection bolt running to the crank case, 3 hrs later after removing the engine, turbo assembly and everything else i finnaly removed the rest of the bolt....