Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Gripe Share your "Jack-leg" mechanic stories here.

As previously reported on various threads here and in other parts of the forum, I've been slowly fixng things on my 68 Roadrunner and finding a lot of various screwups. Today, I was putting the front brake assemblies back together. After finding the switched brake shoes on the rear axle on one side, I decided it'd probably be a good idea to pull the drums and inspect the front brakes too, good thing I did!!
I found a bad outer wheel bearing, but that was just from simple neglect, what really irked me was someone had literally BEAT the dust caps to pieces! I was cleaning them and once I got the grud off of them, I noticed they had been hammered so hard they were cracked and had wear spots where they had been bent in so far they had wear marks from the spindle!!!
I'll replace them, but it's danged aggravating! :angry:
On top of that, the left shoes were in good adjustment, while the rights were extremely loose, no wonder the guy wrecked the car, eh?
I found myself in the garage, not for the 1st time, cussing the damn JACKLEGS who had worked on this thing before I ever touched it.
Don't know what a Jack-leg is? It's a term the old mechanics in my area used to give to a mechanic who was so incompetent, they shouldn't have been allowed to work on lawn mowers, door hinges, etc etc, let alone a car!!
My dad's old mechanic friend "Joe" was the Model T-A, brass era and flathead anything expert in our town. One time we were there and Joe was a cussing a storm and I asked him what was wrong, I was about 8 years old at the time and didn't know enough to leave grease monkeys alone when irritated!
He turned around and held up a lugbolt with badly stripped threads from the old Dodge he was working and said,"SOME DAMN JACKLEG CROSSTHREADED THE S.O.B., EFFING, @@##$%%$$%#$#$!!!!! THING!!!"
Dad hurried me up and out of the shop. Joe was normally the nicest old feller in the world, but I never forgot the look on his face, and since then have gotten to know how felt that day!!!!
Anyone else have some sad stories of automotive repair incompetence they'd like to share?