Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-02-2001, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

Default How hard is it to convert from automatic to 4 speed in a Demon

I just bought a 71 Dodge Demon that has a non original 440 and a 727 full manual/valve body, tranny.
I would like to have it converted to a 4 soeed. In your estimate, can it be done and what would an approximate cost be to have it done by someone.
thanks
Old 09-03-2001, 11:11 AM
Inactive User

Going from a standard to an automatic transmission is a Saturday job going the other way is an every night for the next 5 days and most likely a Saturday in there also type job. I haven’t done one on a Demon but I did one on a 76-dodge ½ ton once and once was enough. I am no mechanic but I am sure a more qualified person than me could probably get the jog done in about 8 hours or so. Obviously you have to change the tranny then you have to install a clutch system in the cab, be it a complete brake and clutch bracket from another donor car at the wreckers or make something up from another donor vehicle. Then you have to get the correct linkage to go to the tranny. Cut a hole in the floor for the gear shift lever and mount all this associated hardware, well actually you have to do this before the tranny goes in. Replace the speedometer sending unit and the backup sending unit. Most of the time you have to cut and balance the drive shaft or get another one from a donor vehicle. I had a hell of a time with mine but remember I am an amateur and not a pro. For me it wouldn’t be worth it for a common car/truck, I would just sell it and find another one that was standard but for a nice Demon I guess it would be worth it. Like I said before I would guess about an 8 hour job for a mechanic if you have all the parts ready to go for him when you get the
Old 09-03-2001, 05:39 PM

ditto with jcarter64, also the newer 440 automatics are not drilled for the pilot bushing of the standard. The bushing can be turned to fit though.
Don't know what it would cost to have someone do the swap, I've always done it myself. Not with a Demon though.
Old 09-03-2001, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

here is a start

http://shermanparts.com/articles2.html

and forget about if the crank is drilled or not,it no longer matters.

I did this swap in a 67 Dart GT,started out with a /6 auto,then went to a 340 auto to a 440 4-speed to a 383 4-speed
biggest problem is exhaust but I used fender well heads and that cured a lot of problems.
Old 09-04-2001, 02:37 AM
Inactive User

hey,
I'm doing the same thing only with a small block. Demon/Duster part is the same, so I would love it if we could share info learned as far as floorboard templates, exhaust problems, clutch linkage, etc. I'll be happy to share anything I learn, and I hope you will do the same. my email is
greg@southbaymopars.com
my current thread is auto vs. 4spd
Thanks ahead of time. Talk soon
Old 09-04-2001, 03:47 PM
Inactive User

Default 4 speed

ATTN: Brian - I had heard about that pilot bearing, but could never find it - THANK YOU!. My swap is 318 stick to 440 stick in a Ramcharger - the 440 crank had no pilot hole, so I bought a stick crank and rebuilt the bottom end. I have another project(or 4) in the works, so the information is still needed. BUT...don't you have to cut off the front of the tranny pilot shaft to use this, and could you run into tranny durability problems going this route?

ATTN: Ausydad - It looks like this solves your problem. Do you still want me to send you thes pilot hole stuff?
Old 09-04-2001, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

You would have to mock it up to see if it will fit or not,I have in the past cut 3/4 of an inch off the shaft and never ever had any trouble with a tranny,just be sure and bevel the end.

BTW I bought both those pilot bearing at Olson Dodge here in Omaha and neither was over $10 if I remember right.