Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Restoring your MoPar (Tricks & techniques)

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Inactive User

Question Magnum 500 wheel paint and fan/pully paint

Guys I was wondering what color is correct for the chrome magnum 500 wheels for my 68 RR. A few years ago, I painted them with a semi gloss paint and they need it again. Guys at shows tell me its not a flat black but its not a glossy back either so I found some paint at a local NAPA store made my Semour. Also how about the fan and pully assembly color since I will be changing a water pump. ( thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Inactive User

Default good stuff

I use Rubber Seal RS 526 for pulley and most other black painted surfaces. Found at most good auto paint stores. It's called European Trim Black.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Magnum 500 wheel paint

I ordered a couple of new magnum 500 wheels from the dealer in the late 70's for my 68 Charger RT and took them out recently because I am restoring some used magnum 500's I've had for years. The paint on the NOS wheels which are 14 x 5.5 JK is a very ultra flat black with virtually no gloss. I've tried a couple of different flat blacks but they all have too much sheen. I heard that the Boss 429 Mustang came with a very flat black paint on the wheels and Krylon 1602 Ultra Flat Black is a close match but have not been able to locate any to date.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:56 AM
Inactive User

Recently I've been using Duplicolor engine paint for my flat or low gloss black (They have both) The greatest advantage I see to it is that it has a consistent lack of gloss or sheen to it. Most of the other flattened paints I've used had a tendency to vary a little, either because of the thickness of the paint or the subsurface. The engine paint evens out to a consistent flatness, over the entire surface, with out the occasional shiny spot where the paint was too heavy.