Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 11-29-2001, 02:15 AM
Inactive User

Default Add-A-Leaf? How much more Payload?

If I do an add-a-leaf, how much will it help my payload? I bought a 1500 RC 4x4 that has a 2" lift in front and none in the rear. So it saggs alot in the rear. I am going to add a leaf and wondered if it will also help out with payload. Thanks, Tim
Old 11-29-2001, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I would like to know this also as I am going to upgrade mine at some point to take even more weight. I saw some helpers on JC that say somkething like 2,000 lbs? What does it all mean?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:11 PM
Banned

if you want more pay load, don't just do an add a leaf. Add another over load spring, just like the very bottom spring that is currently on your truck, the one closest to the axle. If will give some more lift in the rear and stiffen it up pretty good for towing. I have a total of 7 springs in mine now including the mentioned above. It still flexes ALOT for 4wheelin but doesn't sag when I tow!!!
Old 11-29-2001, 12:17 PM
Inactive User

You can also think about adding Air springs/bags. Easy to install, 2500lbs payload and adjustable.

john
Old 11-29-2001, 12:37 PM
Inactive User

Could you guys post some prices for the overload spring and the air bags. I am interested but not sure it the cost is worth the result. Tim
Old 11-29-2001, 12:45 PM
Banned

sorry man, can't help you on price, i got mine for free! And i did the install myself so it cost me nothing at all!!!
Old 11-29-2001, 05:34 PM
Inactive User

My air springs by AirLift cost me about $175. Installed mayself in about 2 hours. I tow a heavy boat trailer and they do a great job. When I'm not towing I have a stock ride.

john
Old 12-05-2001, 11:16 PM
Banned

Biggrin More weight huh!!!

Check out my mods. The complete Airlift system, ($560.00) will incease to 5,000 lbs. But the smaller 1500 rear end can't handle thatr much weight and will burn up the axle bearings.
Old 12-06-2001, 03:18 PM
Inactive User

mikael hit it right on the head....my axel bearing went out about a year or more ago...we would pull a crap load of shit around with my truck....ie, farm impliments and the like. I can tell you now...if you plan to hual a lot or pull a lot....buy a 3/4 ton. It'll be worth it. Also, just adding stiffer springs or more spring does NOT increase total payload. Keep in mind you are not stengthening the truck any more...ie, the payload will max but the truck won't sag. I think it states something similar on the box of helper springs.

Note: The following is base on my knowledge, opinions, and experience. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:18 PM
Inactive User

I have to agree. The truck may not be pushed down much but the axel will be maxed out after a while. The axel can only take so much weight and then it will break. A 3/4 ton has a better axel when it comes to payload but even then, it can only go so far. I just want something to keep my truck from getting pushed down so far when I load it to the top.
Old 12-06-2001, 07:36 PM
Inactive User

None. No helper or overload spring will increase your payload at all. In fact, it will be reduced by the amount they weigh. They may level the truck, or stop it from sagging when it's loaded, but the only way to increase payload is to decrease your tare (empty) weight. Something to think about BEFORE you buy.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:02 PM
Inactive User

Lets back up a minute here. The extra springs will put slightly more weight on the axel. That makes sense. However, I dont see total truth the the fact that having some extras won't help payload. I think they will help payload. Lets say I have a really good axel that is rated for a certain amount of weight, but my springs dont allow for that maximum weight to ever be reached because the truck bottoms out and hits the bump stops on the frame. So I add some extra springs and now am able to load a heavier load on my truck before it bottoms out. Physics tells me that the more springs I have pushing against gravity, the more gravity(weight of load) I can add. Of course this only goes so far, but it makes sense to me.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:05 PM
Inactive User

Mostly I am just trying to level out my truck. I don't really need more payload. I was just thinking that it might help. Thanks for the input. Tim
Old 12-07-2001, 11:13 AM
Inactive User

If you want to level it, get with a couple of local shops and see if they will make you a custom add a leaf. What you want is a long thin leaf that you won't find in the usual $39.95 kits. It really doesn't cost that much, and the difference in ride is amazing. I've done this twice on other trucks I've owned. Big difference over the short thicl springs you usually see. Once again, you will gain nothing as far as payload. The truck/axle is rated to carry just so much. If your springs bottom before you reach that amount, anything you add to prevent this gets you that much closer to the maximum. You cannot "gain" anything.
Old 12-07-2001, 11:23 AM
Inactive User

Let me put this another way. Say my axel is rated for 7000 lbs and after the truck weight and load is all added up I only have 5000 lbs of weight on the axel before it bottoms out. I add some "help" and am able to load another 1000 lbs on before I bottom out. Haven't I gained some extra payload "weight" then by doing this? What do you mean by "gain"? When I say it I mean extra weight has been gained. I'm just trying to understand this. Thanks
Old 12-07-2001, 11:49 AM
Inactive User

The axle might be rated to 7000 pounds, but the truck won't be. Frame , brakes, trans, all have to be up to the task. Even if the whole thing will support your hypothetical 7000 pounds, whether or not it bottoms out doesn't change the 2000 pound difference you're asking about. It will drive better, and it's obviously safer if it isn't bottoming out, but that doesn't change the amount of weight that can be supported. By adding overloads, air bags, or whatever, you're taking away from the total weight the vehicle will support. That's GVWR. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating will never increase. If you have a 8,000 lb GVWR and the truck weighs 6000 lbs, you can add 2000 lbs to it. Anything you add, including people, cargo, overload springs, the wife, etc. counts. So if you add a tool box, spare parts, nerf bars, a winch, etc, they all come out of the 2000 lb. total that the truck/axles/brakes can handle.
Old 12-07-2001, 12:51 PM
Inactive User

Got ya! I wasn't thinking in that aspect of GVWR. My truck is at 8800 lbs and weighs somewhere in the 5000lb ish area so that would mean a payload of 3000+ lbs and adding weight of springs will take away from that. Much better explanation. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:46 PM
Banned

Biggrin Highbackram is correct....

My truck is as far as you can go with the 1500 chasis. But I have done major suspesion and drivetrain upgrades to gain that extra so called payload. I constantly check my frame for signs of stress and cracks. The weak link in my truck now is actuall the frame itself. My front and rear suspension along with the rear end is from a 94 Ram 2500 8,800 GVWR Diesel with Camper Tow package. I am getting ready to reinforce the frame with bolsters. (Some law states that you can't weld on the frame.)
Old 12-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Inactive User

Must be a state law. GM actually had a "fix" for the vibration problems in my Z71 "Shakerado" that involved welding braces to the frame! They bought it back, I got my Ram, and at least one of us is happy.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:10 PM
Banned

Angry May well be.

I work in the trucking industry. I am told my the guys with the bigger trucks and 18 wheelers that DOT does not permit any welding on the frame other than the manufacturor. So I will make two plates for each side of the truck and sandwich the frame and bolt them together. Looks like my frame is starting to bow where my air bags bolt on the frame.