Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-13-2003, 12:24 AM
Inactive User

Default Edelbrock carb questions...

What I have is a 72' Charger with a mildly stock 318. I bought a Edelbrock dual plane intake and 650# carb last year for the motor. But noticed lately that the car is hard to start once in awhile after I just ran it, and turned it off. Also it feels like not all 4bbls are opening up when I floor it. I do have the original 2bbl linkage hooked up with the Edel. linkage adapter. Could it be the linkage is off or something?
Old 05-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
"But noticed lately that the car is hard to start once in awhile after I just ran it, and turned it off"

You and about 2 million others....as near as I can tell after trying to make about 500 of those things work is they all seem to crack internally after they heat up and cool down...I've had several that when I fill the float bowls on the bench they just sit their and leak all the fuel out of the casting, all over the bench and floor.....

I won't even work on them anymore, not worth the price of the kit and everyone of them leaks air or fuel internally.....

I've got 5 right now and I keep them in a bucket, if you want one take your pick...2 of them are less than 2 weeks old...$100.00 each, the others are $50.00 a piece.....however...your wasting your money and I would really prefer to flog them on Ebay to some Chebby or Fird guy...

Edelbrock w/choke...$269.00
Road Demon w/Choke...$339.00

$70.00 difference....now look at the quality....it's a no brainer.

Go to Ebay....dozens of Eddy carbs for sale for anywhere from $10.00 to $100.00....so why do they loose so much value?

Now search a Road Demon or any Demon carb and look at how they hold their value...almost as much as a brand new carb, I've even seen them sell for more than retail!

It's your money and it's your choice....
Old 05-14-2003, 03:00 PM

why is the reponse to a carb problem always buy a demon carb?
i have a edlebrock on my 360, it works great on my street car.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:40 PM

If you are going for a new carb, the reason that Demon is always suggested is because they are superior to the Holley carbs and the EB carbs are flawed.

EB carbs are known to crack in the inner body. EB also admits to having other problems with the carb. IF EB had stuck with the original Carter designs, they wouldn't have many of the problems that they do.

If you re-read Don's post, you will see that the correct Demon isn't that much more than the EB and it is a superior carb.

As far as carb problems go, when someone has described a broken inner throttle body, there is no inexpensive way to repair that. EB isn't going to take it back, either. So, we could sit here for a very long time and try to describe way to limp around the problem (still won't be as good as before the problem) or we could suggest a good carb.

I am glad to hear that you are very happy with your carb. If it should develop the crack that the EB carbs are known for, would you like us to pussy foot around and tell you how to put a bandaged on the problem (not fix it) or would you like the honest truth about what needs to be done?
Old 05-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

I like that response !
Old 05-14-2003, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

That crack Is why the bowls have no fuel in them if it sets for a little while. Sometimes overnight. And can be hard to start. Or at least take a few cranks to get fuel back in the bowls.

If you stop at the store and it then takes a while to start it could be that it is acually "flooded" from the leaky/cracked bowl/center area.

I have that problem with my van and Ramcharger. So I need 3 carbs. Sooner or later I'll get them. The AMX comes first.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:31 PM
Inactive User

gee, can't this be plain old heat soak? he didn't say that itwouldn't start, only hard to start.

Is it not turning fast enough to catch, orbarely turning at all?...a hot starter motor,especially an old one, will cause this.

As for leaky main bodies, I've had TWO Holley's do that to me, their gaskets SUCK.
They never make it through a winter.

My edelbrock has had TWO good winters now..and the only problem i've had is with the choke.

I won't argue that Demon's and such are more tunable, but the Edelbrock has been much more driveable. If this guy is racing his 318, ok, you've got a point. But I have a feeling it's more of a daily driver..
Old 05-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Inactive User

Default Carter AFB

74SCAMP - Have you considered finding a REAL AFB for your 318? They had none of the problems that the E-Carbs have, they are easy to find(read cheap), tuneable, easy to work on, and run great...
Old 05-14-2003, 05:21 PM

whatever
Old 05-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Inactive User

Well now I know what to send you for Christmas, Don.

Hate to say it, but if I bought a Demon now, the '55 would get it... and as soon as the Austin is ready...... the Austin would get it.

At least now I understand where the non-Eddy recc's are coming from. The engineer in me never is satisfied with just an answer... we always have to know the "why" part, too.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Inactive User

What does "recc's" mean? recomendations?
Old 05-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Inactive User

Yes, sir

I'm guaranteed to misspell it if I type it out hehe
Old 05-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

I guessed it as I was ready to click on submit A lot of those abbreveations I have to guess and sometimes I get lucky. I've been doing this chat stuff only since Jan 28th.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:27 PM
Inactive User

I agree it could be heat soak also. You can try a 1/2" phenolic spacer or I think Edelbrock sells a 3/8" one.

You may just not have your linkage adjusted right. With the choke off/engine fully warmed have someone hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor. Look and see if your secondary throttle blades are wide open. If not try adjusting your throttle cable at the clamp. You have to also make sure it fully returns to the idle set screw when you let off gas pedal.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by 70Ted
why is the reponse to a carb problem always buy a demon carb?
i have a edlebrock on my 360, it works great on my street car.
One thing about Cuda he is not trying to make a quick buck. If you look at his past post's he is always saying " I dont care if you bye from me or some one else I just want you to make the right choice the first time. If you need help call me."
Old 05-14-2003, 09:37 PM
Inactive User

I've got the 3/8 one on the van. It didn't help. So took the Eddy off the AMX and put on the van, works a lot better. And thru away the old Eddy. So now I need a Demon for the AMX!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Inactive User

Cuda66273 is right. Junk that Edelbrock and buy a good carb or at least buy a carter. I bought a new one about 3-years ago for my 440 4wd pickup. Dont know if you can still get them new or not.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Inactive User

The 625 cfm Carter Competition series on my Ramcharger [400 auto] is around 10 years plus old. Never been rebuilt and works just fine. Altho the motor needs rebuilding 280,000 + miles.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

amxauto is that a husky i see?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Inactive User

Acually she is a 2 year 3 month old Alaskan Malamute. Canadian Champion and Canadian, American CD [ companion dog-obedience]
Old 05-14-2003, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

I have a 13 year-old Siberian Husky. She is a great dog and i hope she has many years left.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Inactive User

I used to show a lot back in the '80s. I'm just getting back in dogs and showing. Even so these are great family dogs too.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:46 PM
Inactive User

Yes, excellent temper, friendly, intelligent and unless another dog tries to dominate her she in non-aggressive toward other dogs. Are we going to get yelled at for talking about dogs in this forum?
Old 05-14-2003, 11:48 PM
Inactive User

Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes have a lot of power to pull the sleds We should be ok for a while.

I use to go sledding also. A LOT of fun and the dogs really go for it.

Maybe I'll have to use one of those pictures for my avatar for a little while
Old 05-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Inactive User

good idea
Old 05-15-2003, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

Soooooo..........I'm just curious, does Weber have two different facilities making the Edelbrock and the Carter cast aluminum assy's that use two different grades of materials or two different processes to make 'em? Or has Edelbrock given Weber different specs for their assy's than Carter?

I'd like to continue to run an AFB carb on my car for both original appearance as well as simplicity. However, if the modern day AFB is junk then I guess I'll have to try something else.

The Carter I have on now is apparently cracked as well according to the diagnosis. I always suspected some kind of fuel leakage from the carb making it hard to start, but wasn't thinking cracked carb. This was good info.

Since the carb was used when I put it on, I'd have to say it cracked on a previous car. It's always had a hard start problem since I first put it on, find it hard to believe it would crack the first day.

BTW, has anybody else seen the new AVS carb that's being released? I wonder if they'll have the same problem.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:06 AM

meanwhile, back at the ranch... wait... thats a different story... lol

about this crack in edelbrock carbs... does this happen to all of them? and can it cause intermittent problems?

i have a 750 cfm edelbrock (#1407) that sometimes seems to run REALLY rich. i mean that when the secondaries open (or about that time, anyway) the engine sometimes starts to act like the mixture is really rich. other times, it starts acting like it is running out of gas. this seems to start at about 4500 rpm and as the rpms pass about 4800, it picks back up again. it is kinda hard to do good testing on the streets here with this vehicle, cause the gearing is such that 4500 rpm is pretty fast (2600 rpm = 60 mph) and it goes through 1st and 2nd so fast that i dont notice the problem. when it happens and i let up on the gas a little to try to prolong it, it goes away. sometimes it doesnt happen at all, and by using the choke (1407 has a manual choke) i can change the severity of the problem except that i never know what it is going to do
if it would do it consistantly, then i could try things to see what i had changed, but it is kinda pointless when it doesnt have consistantcy. several times i thought i had it licked, only to have it come back again the next time i drove the truck. i should also note that it also has a problem with initial acceleration like pulling away from a stop. if i nail it, it GOES, but if i just drive it normally, it hesitates. when it does this, if i dont move the gas pedal or give it choke, it seems like it wants to run this way till it gains maybe 200 rpm, then it runs good again. like the high speed problem, though, it also comes and goes. there does seem to be a temperature factor, though, as the low speed problem seems to get better when the engine is at operating temp. it doesnt seem to be the accelerator pump, that appears to squirt fuel evenly throughout its stroke. i have also made sure the squirters were centered in the venturi, but that seems to have had no effect. this carb is several years old, but it was purchased new and has never been allowed to dry out, it has been on a running engine since i bought it. it is currently running with the "default" jets and rods... meaning that they are the ones that shipped with the carb. timing is at 38* total (with vacuum adv plugged), so that isnt a contributing factor, i dont believe. a new carb wouldnt be such a big deal, but i gotta have 4 new tires, and 16.5s arent cheap. you would think i could find steel 16" wheels somewhere cheap, but i have been unsuccessful with that endeavor, all anyone wants to sell are hi$$$ mags. those clash with my custom paint anyu help would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2003, 02:36 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I have had my edel 750 (1407) for 3 years now on my 360 Duster with no problems!
Old 05-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Inactive User

I always ran Carter AFB's on my cars and never had a cracked casting. I did have some trouble with hot soak fuel percolation, especially on iron intake manifolds. A simple aluminum heat sheild (hand fabbed) and a thick gasket always cured the problem. I tried holleys and always went back to my reliable AFBs. Never tried an edlebrock, but it seems a shame that they have appearantly f*&#ed up an excellent design.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Inactive User

Default Eddie Carbs

Thank you folks for all the good info !

I have been having starting problems with mine as well..Bought a rebuild kit and it does the exact same thing!

Now I know what to put on my new 360 that is waiting on the stand to install !