Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Diesel & Turbo Diesel Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Inactive User

Default Does my 93 cummins have a computer?

Under the drivers fender, by where the battery goes, looks to be a computer, is this for the trucks engine? I would assume so. Or is it the air heater?
I need a wiring diagram now, I spose the factory service manual would come in handy now huh. I will have to get one, as I dont know what wires to keep, as I'm transplating the motor to an older truck.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:04 AM
Inactive User

I can imagine a 93 would, most vehicles since the late 70s, early 80s had a computer of some sort. I would pick up a Haynes manual for it, that will tell you where everything is and what everything is. What are you putting it in? Ive thought about sticking a Cummins Turbo in an old Sweptline....
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Inactive User

Thats what Im doing, exactly
Does a Haynes have a good wiring diagram? Thats what i really need you know, Im bidding on a service manual from 93 right now, Im at 51 bucks for it on Ebay, and it ends tommorrow, I am sure that has everything in it.
I was unbolting the front clip last night and I came upon the computer looking thing under the drivers fender and I thought, whoa, i better get the diagram for this. I should keep going and get the motor out, I could bolt it into my 71 and then go from there later on the wiring, as I am going to need to modify the rad support severly to get the intercooler in and the ac condensor too, as someday I will put a Vintage air into the truck, but the diesel part is top priority right now. I was real lazy tonight, so I didnt get anything done. But I guess bidding on a manual counts for something, right!
I guess I was under the assumption that this truck was computer less. I was looking at a 95 diesel motor yesterday, and it is a whole together different looking animal.
I got a nv4500 5 speed for it too, and I have to find all the bolt hardware to line this thing up, I cant believe the bell housing is aluminum, but man is the trans heavy, makes the old 4 speed look tiny.
The diesel is 4 some inches longer from the motor mount forward than the 318 I pulled out, so i will need an elec fan for sure, Im hoping moving the motor back 3 inches will give me a little clearance, and triming the rad support a bit will help get the ac condensor in too, the intercooler will fir no problem, and I was worried about that, as the only swept I have seen with a cummins in it had no intercooler, and I want that for sure, AC is optional, but would be nice.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Hmmmm.... How about a Cummins powered Dart? That could be fun...
Old 10-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Inactive User

Dont give me any ideas E, TK has already got me thinking of some odd ball stuff for my Dart lol.

Cage, Haynes manuals have great diagrams and pictures along with good descriptions. Chilton's manuals are also good, but I like the Haynes ones a bit better. Having a shop manual definately would help out too, and look at it this way, you can re-ebay them when your done, so getting as much info as possible is not going to be a bad, or expensive thing to do.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Inactive User

Default Good answers

Come from the Cummins service line. Just dial up "Cummins Engines" and it will direct you to the Cummins on-line service advisor. They are awesome people.
I doubt you have any engine control computer. Electronic controls happened in 1998 1/2. The early ones were all mechanical controlled.
Ron
Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Inactive User

Ill go and get a picture now and well have to decide from there, it is still bolted under the fender, and has a huge wiring harness hooked to it, kinda looks like the computer in my 95 ram, Im lost, I hope I win that service manual.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:32 PM

The box on the drivers fender is called the Single Board Engine Controller (SBEC), it is a computer of a sort but it doesn't control the engine fuel like the later models.

The SBEC controls the transmission OD and converter lockup (if equipped), the cruise control, A/C, intake heaters, and alternator voltage regulation. Several sensor outputs also run through the SBEC.

When swapping to an older truck you probably won't need most of the SBEC functions, the OD and converter can be controlled by simple toggle switches. Depending on the climate, many folks run without the intake heaters and never feel the difference.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Cageman is in SD. It gets just a tad bit nippley in the winter time. So, I think the preheaters would be nice to have. In any case, you should be able to use a toggle switch and a relay to control them.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Inactive User

whoa boy, that sounds fun, My truck is a 5 speed, so I wont use that part of it, That would explaint the 4 or 5 wires that seem to go no where, and they are transmission length too, they come out at about the middle of the cab by the master cylinder and werent hooked to any thing.
I probably wont use the truck in the winter, as I dont race in the winter at all, but if I do need to move the truck, I dont think just using the block heater will be sufficient. I should upload the pictures, it might make more sense If I try to explain with a picture, what wires I think I need.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:53 PM
Inactive User

here is some pictures you can see the computer easy in this shot

Can you see the funny thing on the fender well, beside the master, it has 4 black wires bolted to it, with rubber caps over the posts, I assume these control the air heater some how?

there is a group of wires that go no where on this truck, they are draped down over the starter, and there is two plugs on this set of wires, are these the auto trans wires maybe?

Here it is installed into the truck, I have maybe a 1/4 inch of room right now between the motor and radiator, the intercooler will work fine as well as the ac condensor too, I have to get another pulley for the water pump, as it is too long and I will move the motor back another inch and a half too, so I will section out a part of the fire wall, I want to make a little room for the electric fan, that I dont have yet.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Inactive User

I found a wiring diagram locally, A guy I know made a few phone calls and found a dodge lover that printed me a wiring schematic, looks pretty simple, I just have to get rid of a few wire looms and some tape, and Ill be in business, I think I will try to use the cmputer, as I want the idiot lights to work, and the air preheater, Here is a scan of what I got, preetty simple, I think.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Inactive User

Default Air heaters

Yeah, you want to use the air heaters. I don't care where you live, if it's below 40 degrees, you will smoke till you can't see without them on cold start. That ain't just smoke, it's oil polluting crap! Now remember, those intake air heaters use lots of current. No cheap relays here. Measure the resistance of the heater coils, divide the voltage, 13.8, by the resistance, and that's the current required to run the heaters. Your relay choice should be 50% higher to handle the surge. I=e/r plus 50 %.
The heaters continue to operate after the engine starts, so they should be left on untill the engine runs smoothly, about 2-3 minutes.

Ron
Old 10-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Inactive User

I decided that all the wires I can get rid of I will, I am trying to figure out where the solenoid is to turn the fuel off, and is the air heater relay the black things with heavy guage wire on the fender well, it looks to be a relay to me. I have never ever worked on a diesel before, so I have to learn this thing by my self, so I hope Im not asking dumb questions.
the more I looked at the computer thing, I came up with it doenst do any thing really, I see it might control voltage and the air heaters, but couldnt toggle switches work just fine too, as long as I use the oem relays that were on the truck.
Where would the tach hook up too, if I choose to run one. Havent figured that one either. must be a signal from the computer thing, thats what my diagram shows, dont know what to do there.