Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Dakota Truck Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Inactive User

Default Governor sensor and transducer

I replaced my 5.2 with a 5.9 crate motor from Dodge. It ran fine for about 2000 miles and all of a sudden it pulled a code 1763 or Governor sensor voltage too high. It is supposed to be aroung 4.5 volts and it spikes to 7.0 volts. The light comes on and the transmission stays in third gear.

The dealer replaced the govenor sensor and the transducer. That did not fix the problem. I took it to Ammco and they replaced the wiring in the transmission thinking it might be a short or open ground. That did not fix the problem.

I took it to Tustin Transmission next because I heard they were really good at diagnostic problems. They replaced the wiring from the transmission to the ECU and checked all the plugs to make sure the contacts were good. It still did no fix the problem. While it was at this shop, they thought it was the ECU. I have two other ECU's that we substituted and this still did not fix the problem.

The only other adjustment ever made to the transmission was to adjust the TV cable because it was slow to down shift. That fixed the downshift and the transmission shops were adamant that it has nothing to do with the TV cable adjustment.

I used the original 1998 5.2 transmission for the engine swap since the 5.9 and 5.2 use the same transmission that year. The pressure plate for a 5.9 was all that was needed.

Has anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Inactive User

The transducer is a three wire sensor consisting of a 5 volt input, signal return, & ground wire. If your actually seeing 7v on the return I would suspect a bad alternator causing voltage spikes in the ecm. Try clearing the code and disconnecting the alt. and drive it to see if the code returns. The o2 sensors have also caused this code because they share the same ground as the transducer. Disconnect them and see if the code returns. If it doesn't then hook them up one at a time until the code returns.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for great information. Tustin transmission suspected the alternator but they weren't sure. I was about to go to a auto electric to see what they said. The problem is that I would have to run a fair distance before the code appears. Sometimes days so it would be hard to run on the battery that long. I could check the O2 sensors first and then just buy a new alternator if that doesn't work. I have over a grand in parts and diagnosis up to now, so a new alternator isn't going to break the bank to test the possibility the old alternator is throwing a spike.

Everything mechanical is new on the truck so I really need to figure this out.

Thanks again for the hope.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:36 AM
Inactive User

Chookie, I'd test the alternator and check the grounding points(clean with a wire brush) from the alternator to the chassis and the ECM to the chassis. Poor grounds can cause weird things. I don' no nuthin' 'bout them automatic transmissions Miz Charlette. I re-built and re-staged a Turbo-Hydromatic once(and the last) with one of those "Re-build your Transmission" books in one hand and a micrometer in the other. I have no idea what I was doing except following the instructions. And a TH-350 is simple compared to an RFE-45. No OD, no lock-up converter, etc., etc. I didn't know you could put that many parts in a tranny case!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Inactive User

I bought a new alternator and checked the grounds, and it threw the code 1763 again. I have now disconnected the O2 sensors since they share the same ground as "Randal8" explained above. I will see if it still throws the code. If it doesn't then I will reconnect the two O2 sensors one at a time to see if this is the source of the voltage spike.

While I am on the on O2 sensors i have a question. I did upgrade my motor from a 5.2 to the 5.9. I bought a 1998 5.9 ECM and it throws the codes 0158and 0132. I was told the 5.9 ECM would have better performance but there is something about the O2 sensors that must be different in the same 1998 year for a 5.2 and 5.9.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Inactive User

Help! I disconnected the O2 sensors and it still pulled code 1763 after about five minutes of freeway cruising. I have changed the alternator and checked the grounds.

Does anyone have any idea what to try next?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Inactive User

1763 sets when the pcm sees more than 4.9 volts on the signal return for more than 8 sec. Pin 29 at the white pcm connector is signal return. Pin 31 is 5 volt feed and pin 4 on the black connector is ground. Probe the return wire with a voltmeter and attach a pressure gauge to the gov. port on the trans. At 0 mph you should see about .6v and 0 psi. At 20 mph 1.1v and 20 psi. 40 mph 1.8v and 40 psi. 60 mph 3v and 60 psi. At the point where you see 4.9v take note of the gov. psi and mph. Post results.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Governor sensor and transducer

Sorry, but it took awhile for me to figure out how to do this. I tapped into the sensor signal return wire with a voltmeter and extended it into the cab. I also had Tustin transmission show me the port for the govenor sensor, and I plumbed a line into the cab. I used a gauge that went up to 100 PSI which I have attached to the dash. Here is my preliminary findings, but I think I need to purchase a digital voltmeter for more accuracy and a gauge with a higher PSI limit. The truck has too much horsepower to stay at 20 mph long enough to get a reading because it almost immediate shifts from first through second to third when trying to just maintain 20 MPH.

MPH----Volts----PSI
0 .6 0
30 2.8 50
40 3 55
45 4.8 58
50 4.9 60
60 5.4 100 (gauge maxed out and all speeds over 60 at 100 PSI)
>80 5.5 100

While I was testing it the light came on and the transmission stuck in high gear once again. While stuck, the volts then stayed right a 5 volts and the PSI stayed at 90 PSI but with a lot of fluctuation.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

Have you done any mods to the valvebody to raise line pressure? When TCC is applied the ecm shuts off the gov. solenoid and gov. psi will go to line psi. It takes a little over 90 psi to make 4.9v on the transducer. At cruising speed, line should be about 70 to 80 psi which is what your gauge will read. 100 psi indicates a line pressure problem. The 50 psi at 30 mph explains your stacked shifts but thats a different problem which is usually a gov. solenoid. You will need a scan tool and the gauge to sort that out.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

The transmission was rebuilt at Aamco about 25K miles ago and it performed flawlessly. Aamco told me at the time that Dodge transmissions are designed poorly for adequate lubrication which is the reason it failed at 75K. If I remember correctly, they said they enlarged some of the passages to increase lubrication, but whatever they did the transmission worked great for 25K miles.

I think I understand the line pressure comment, but I am not sure what the abbreviation "TCC" means. I can say I have had two governor solenoids replaced in the last several months because both Dodge and Aamco were convinced that is what the problem. Changing the governor sensor and the transducer twice did nothing to cure the problem.

You say I have line pressure problem. What is the fix for a line pressure problem? Could something be cracked internally to cause this? Would a normal transmission shop be able to address the issue with the data I have collected?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

TCC = Torque converter clutch. Try this fix. Buy a 1/4 watt, 150 ohm resister, cut the signal return wire that you were checking the voltage on and solder in the resister. This will lower the voltage that the ecm sees and possibly stop the code from setting even with the high line psi.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the info. I am off to get a resistor and solder it inline. I can always take it out if this doesn't work. If this allows the ECM to see less voltage, then I assume it won't throw the code and if it doesn't throw the code, then the transmission won't be told to lock into third gear by the ECM. This approach assumes it is the ECM that is causing the transmission to stay in high gear. As I drive around and watch the pressure gage at various cruising speeds, the pressure immeditely jumps to 100 PSI at cruising speed when ever the torque converter locks up or what feels like the trans shifts to fourth gear. When I slowly decrease speed, the trans will drop down from fourth or overdrive and the pressure will drop back to a lower level of say 50 or 60 PSI. The minute I accelerate a little which causes the trans to shift back up to fourth then the pressure spikes to 100 PSI again. Remember when I say 100 PSI, that is the highest reading my gauge will monitor.

Another wierd thing is that now with the gauge on the pressure generator port the light will occassionally go out on its own during driving, which it never did before. This only happens when I leave the light on because I didn't have time to clear the code with the programmer. It never did this before. The ignition may have cycled maybe four times and it goes out while driving and I thought these hard codes would take at least 40 cycles to clear even if the source of the problem was corrected. I have gotten skilled at throwing it in neutral while moving and turning the ignition off and back on so the trans won't be locked in third gear. I return to normal driving with the light on. Occassionally, the ECM turns the light off which is new.

On another thread at another site, someone was convinced that I should change the valve body next if the resistor does not fix it. Do you agree?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Inactive User

I'm going to stick my neck out and put my foot in here. The RFE45/43 tranny has a fantastic record of service life with people towing all the time. Aamco's theory on poor lubriction is difficult for me to believe...this tranny is directly based on the 904 TorqueFlite which isn't as heavy duty as the old 727, it's got a good track record. The RFE45 lives behind V-10's and Cummin's TD without major problems. Now your 5.9 puts out more torque than the 5.2, which should act to "loosen" the convertor raising the line pressure and changing the shift points(you want that). Maybe, Aamco did the wrong thing "opening-up" lube holes, and over-pressurizing the valve body, maybe not. I didn't have problems with turning my 5.2 into a 392CID stroker but I didn't have it long either.(RE-44 tranny) I'll gladly admit, I'm well over my head on the operation of the RFE45 here. I hate to see you start throwing money at the tranny at this point, when maybe a MOPAR re-manufactored(and warrenteed) tranny might be a better(???) choice. They are exspensive, no, very exspensive. It sounds more like an electronic/sensor/ pressure limit switch problem than a mechanical(valve body) problem, to me, and I could be totally wrong on everything. Randle knows tons more than I do,so don't go by me.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Inactive User

Thanks and everyone's opinion is greatly appreciated. I will try Randal's suggestions to put a resistor in the return line from the pressure generator sensor. I have replaced the sensor and transducer twice thinking maybe one was defective. Tustin transmission even bench tested both and said they are fine. Tustin transmission is as stumped as I am, so we are going to inspect the valve body next if the resistor trick doesn't work. I have considered a rebuild or whole new transmission but even the transmission guys at Aamco and Tustin transmission say I shouldn't have to do that. The problem is it is not much fun if it keeps hanging up in high gear. I have enough torque to take off from a light and keep up with traffic but only because I have the 5.9 crate motor from Dodge which probably has somewhere around 300 HP. This motor has roller rockers and a bigger cam and I have headers and a after market intake. The ECM has a flash from Tom Fox to have more agressive fuel curves. So it darn near will out run most cars in high gear from a stand still. It reminds me an old turbo hydro.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Throughout this thread you have used the terms "the govenor sensor and the transducer". These aren't standard terms.

The three components that can affect governor pressure are the Governor Pressure Sensor, the Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve and the Transmission Output Shaft Speed Sensor.

The first two items are located inside the trans on the valve body, the last item is threaded into the OD housing.

Which of these items have been replaced?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Inactive User

The Dodge dealer invoiced me for "governor pressure solenoid" and a "transducer". I understand the transducer to correctly be the governor pressure sensor. I should have requested the old parts to be sure, but I felt that sometimes insults the mechanics. Anyway, I believe you are correct in that the governor pressure solenoid and the governor pressure sensor were the actual parts replaced. The new ones were both "bench tested" over at Tustin transmission and found to be ok. Tustin transmission found a 7volt spike at times which they thought might be the problem but that was fixed by checking and securing all the grounds. Now the voltage on the return side to the ECM reads from .6 volts at idle to 5.2 volts at cruizing speed. On long uphill accelleration the voltage goes as high as 5.5 volts. I think that is the reason the resistor on the return side to the PCM might work to fool the PCM into seeing voltage less than the critical 4.9 volts.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:20 PM

The Output Shaft Speed Sensor is one of the components from which the PCM gets its speed info and adjusts the governor pressure according to output shaft speed. Either it or the PCM itself could be sending faulty info to the Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve.

That's why it's so hard to diagnose these electronically-controlled devices nowdays, sometimes the only to know if a component is bad is to "replace it with a known good part" as the FSM often suggests.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:25 AM

How about TSB 21-04-00 false code 1763. It involves reprograming the pcm.

Dealer should have caught this and reprogramed the pcm before any parts were replaced. Well atleast I would have.

Hope this helps
Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Inactive User

JV's comment makes good sense to me. Some electronic signal is being mis-read or mis-computed. It's saying "error" where no error exists.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Inactive User

I soldered a 150 ohm resistor in the return wire to the PCM as Randal8 suggested. At idle the return voltage reads 1.0 volts instead of .6 volts as it did before. I thought that a resistor causes a voltage drop at a constant current but I got a higher reading. I barely got out of the driveway before the light came on and the trans locked into high gear. This actually made it worse so I am going to remove the resistor.

I read the thread above about the PCM maybe needing reprogramed. I have two other PCM's which we substituted and the problem persisted with all three PCM's, so a reprogram would seem fruitless. I did note the comment about the speed sensor on the output shaft sending information to the PCM which adjusts the govenor pressure and this maybe sending faulty information. Maybe that is the next part I should consider replacing. I have replaced the govenor pressure sensor and the governor pressure solenoid twice in the past months.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

I need to add one new piece of information. When I was testing with the resistor on the return side of the governor pressure sensor wire to the PCM, it caused the PCM to throw two codes. One is the forever annoying 1763 or "Governor Pressure Sensor Voltage too high" and one new code which is 1757 or "Governor Pressure Above 3 PSI When Request is 0 PSI". I don't know if this new code has any merit to figuring out this nightmare.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkercolt View Post
I'm going to stick my neck out and put my foot in here. The RFE45/43 tranny has a fantastic record of service life with people towing all the time. Aamco's theory on poor lubriction is difficult for me to believe...this tranny is directly based on the 904 TorqueFlite which isn't as heavy duty as the old 727, it's got a good track record. The RFE45 lives behind V-10's and Cummin's TD without major problems. Now your 5.9 puts out more torque than the 5.2, which should act to "loosen" the convertor raising the line pressure and changing the shift points(you want that). Maybe, Aamco did the wrong thing "opening-up" lube holes, and over-pressurizing the valve body, maybe not. I didn't have problems with turning my 5.2 into a 392CID stroker but I didn't have it long either.(RE-44 tranny) I'll gladly admit, I'm well over my head on the operation of the RFE45 here. I hate to see you start throwing money at the tranny at this point, when maybe a MOPAR re-manufactored(and warrenteed) tranny might be a better(???) choice. They are exspensive, no, very exspensive. It sounds more like an electronic/sensor/ pressure limit switch problem than a mechanical(valve body) problem, to me, and I could be totally wrong on everything. Randle knows tons more than I do,so don't go by me.
We are not talking about the 45RFE tranny here. He is using the tranny that was behind the 5.2 in his 98 truck which would have been a 46RE. The 45RFE first appeared behind the 4.7 in 2000 and now the hemis.

Anyway Aamco's comment about opening lube holes relates to the main shaft in the OD section where the the predicessors to the 42/44RE and 46RE the A500/44RH and A518/46RH had issues with lubrication. It was standard practice to add another lube hole in the shaft 90 degrees to the factory one but the factory fixed that issues while these trannies still carried the A500 and A518 designation.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Inactive User

That sounds consistent with what AAmco told me at the time. I was suspicious about that, but the guy at AAmco then took me to the service bays. They had seven Dodges on the racks from the dealer for warranty service for transmission failures. He said the rebuild would correct the lubrication problems and the transmission would last way longer than 75K miles with proper maintenance. It still works great except for this sudden problem with it hanging up in third gear. I am still waiting to hear if Randal8 comments on the resistor results which made it worse. I took the resistor out and it performed like it did before. I clear the codes and it works for about six miles then it trips the light and hands in third. Only if I manually pull the shift lever to second will it drop down to second. I won't go into first at all. If I shut off the ignition then it will shift fine for another six miles or so. I have a DC volltmeter hooked up to watch the voltage and I am not getting a spike although it will rise slighly above 4.9 volts to about 5.4 or 5.5 volts under acceleration up hills. It usually trips the light at cruising speed and 4.9 volts. We determined that at 50-50 MPH or cruising speed the line pressure pops up to 100PSI.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Inactive User

I thought the resister would have dropped the voltage and allow you to get away with the high line without setting the code, but it looks like your going to have to fix the high line problem.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
We are not talking about the 45RFE tranny here. .
Waltercolt has a history of getting his facts confused.

His claim that the 45RFE "is based on the 904" is way out there, it's actually based on the 604 front wheel drive trans.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chookiesmith View Post
I read the thread above about the PCM maybe needing reprogramed. I have two other PCM's which we substituted and the problem persisted with all three PCM's, so a reprogram would seem fruitless.
If the anomally mentioned in the TSB is common to all PCM's of that era it stands to reason that replacing them with an identical unit will produce identical results. It's worth approaching the dealer about flashing the PCM.

The new 1757 code again points to faulty voltage inputs from the PCM, whether the PCM is sending false voltage or whether it's just responding to it's inputs is hard to know.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Inactive User

John, Daimiler/Chrysler's engineers say the RFE45 is "directly connected to the lengendary TorqueFlite 727". I don't know other than that.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
Inactive User

I will speak to the dealer about a reflash to address the issue mentioned in the TBS. Armed with that exact information may jolt someone's memory at my dealer. I will try that next and give you a report. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

My Dodge dealership finally got a new service manager who is very knowledgeable. He read the thread and found a lot of merit to some of the comments. He was very reticent about a reflash helping. The TBS codes are ususally released right after a new model year to correct problems. Because the truck worked fine for 10 years with the original ECU and the same transmission, he felt at TBS reprogram wouldn't help. Well we reprogramed it and it didn't help. Thank goodness I used the original ECU instead of the one with my custom flash or I would have lost that data. The next step is to replace the valve body which is the only part we have not replaced. There have been opinions from at least two transmission guys that the valve body might have a crack in it somewhere.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
Inactive User

I was wondering what progess you had made. A crack in the valve body could cause a hi-pressure condition, absolutely. Please let us know what progress you make.