Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

Default buyer beware

Folks if you buy something from M&M Auto Classics do your homework before you plunk down your hard earned cash. The 440 motor and 727 tranny in my car was supposedly rebuilt - uh, my builder says not as far as they can see.
Car has less than 2000 miles on it since I purchased it...spun bearing and what we're finding as we break down the motor is a VERY poor job and false specific claims made in the advertisement (such as "brand new timing chain"...what we found was NOT brand new given the play in the chain after such a short time.) I swapped to a manual transmission...for the heck of it we opened up the 727...found parts that were rewelded back together...and just junk from a junkyard in there from older transmissions used to slap it back together. To us it looks like this thing was cleaned and slapped back together with little to no care. I guess if I'd have left the 213 motor home heads on it I'd have never run into the shoddy workmanship...once I woke it up with eddy performer RPM's and the manual tranny the job was a liability. Oh for those that think it might have been over revved...I have a limiter on it set for 5000RPM. The bearing spun in third gear at about 2500 rpm and ~65psi of oil pressure.
I had early warning of issues...the day I picked it up after telling them I was going to drive it back home, about 1500 mile road trip, and wanted it bullet proof I ran into a leaking like a sieve radiator on the test drive...then after that was fixed I drove off and after 50 miles the rear end BLEW OUT...seems someone "forgot" to put oil in the rear end. omg. They fixed it all but that was just foreshadowing of things to come.
Now I know why I never could get paperwork on the "rebuild" despite chasing these jerks for months.
I bought the car several years ago...and hope they cleaned up their act since then...just do your homework and check out what they claim if you are buying from them. I'm not suggesting to stay away - just check everything out with your own mechanic.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 PM

Biggrin

http://www.ripoffreport.com/auto-dea...midd-a837f.htm

It seems you aren't the only one.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Inactive User

Yup, that's the same lazy fat slob good for nothing lying sack of $hit I dealt with...with a similar result. I also looked at suing but it also would cost me more than I'd get out of it. And when it comes to greenbacks and the principle of the issue I voted to not save my greenbacks and post on the internet instead of sue!
I'm not surprised that I was not the only one that got jacked on their purchase. I tried to post up on another board what happened to me when I made my purchase a few years ago..unfortunately I was only able to save one poor guy before they removed my post...
Old 10-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Inactive User

Now you've done it! Pissed off all the lawyers by NOT suing!
Seriously - good on ya for whistling this guy.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Biggrin

I want to point out that this forum is not a sounding board to trash vendors. We have always discouraged that and have taken appropriate steps in the past to curtail it because there are always two sides to a story and we often only hear one.

In this case, it seemed to be more substantial and the link we found gave additional credibility. I will leave this thread intact as long as it doesn't turn into a free-for-all. Again, this is the exception to the rule.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM
Inactive User

Hey I just noticed you are from western NH...grew up in southern NH myself - beautiful there. Will be up there this weekend in fact to see my kids. Hope the weather is still on the warmer side!

By the way...the mechanics tore down the 440 motor that failed and the 727 tranny - not only was the motor not "fully rebuilt" per their claims including "new timing chain, new cam, new lifters, new bearings, new seals, etc"; it has never been properly rebuilt. It would appear that someone slapped new bearings in for mains but nothing else (the rod bearings were VERY worn down). The cam, the lifters, the timing chain, and everything else is fully original and well worn out. The timing chain was ready to hop a gear without a doubt (I still have all the parts...pictures tell they story as I've only put maybe 2000 miles max on a motor that was claimed to only have 20 miles on it post rebuild.) The engine was also never re-bored. My experience is exactly the same as the person who made the post above. I have all the original advertisement and the claims made in it according to my mechanic and what I've seen are just false. Buyer beware with this company!