Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-28-2001, 04:14 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

Hey guys.

As you can tell by the post, I am looking for a new intake for my 1971 440. It is a 9.0:1 compression engine, that will be having headers added to it, along with probably slight milling of the heads to bump the compression up a bit. It is a 4-speed, with a Holley 3310 750cfm carbuerator. It has the stock 268/284 cam in it as well.

I want to get a new intake for it. Currently I have the Mopar Performance M1 dual plane. Alot of the speed shops I have talked to (Muscle Motors, etc.), have said this is basically the stock 1968 manifold, just cast in aluminum.

I recently was reading the new Mopar Muscle issue, with their build up of basically the same engine configuration I have. They added a Holley Street Dominator intake, and above 3200RPM, had a CONSISTENT 25-30 horsepower increase over stock. I was very surprised to see this!

My question is: is there a better street performance manifold than the Street Dominator? I was originally thinking of a Edlebrock Performer RPM, or a M1 single plane intake. Anybody have any experience with any of these? I tried a Edlebrock TM-7 Tarantula manifold last summer because we had it laying around, and found it to be completely useless as expected.

Any help will be appreciated. After reading that article, I think a set of headers, a better performance intake, and a milling of the heades, should get me about another 50 horsepower. This I would naturally welcome.
Old 02-28-2001, 08:41 AM
Violent J

ok....heres my opinion on this.

The dual plane intake is designed to make more low end torque. The single plane is designed to make upper range horsepower. Larry Sheppard has proven that the M1 single plane is the best intake for B/RB motors(not counting max wedge Indy type of intakes). The MP engine book says that if you have a Holley Strip Dominator single plane now, the increase in power is not worth the cost of getting the M1 single plane....if you have Anything else, you need to use the M1 single.

What you need to do is decide on your RPM range is, then use the parts that enhance your motor there.....I could swap the big Indy single plane im running on my new motor onto your motor , but its designed for big airflow, and higher rpm range(6500+). IT wont work too well for that application. IF you upgrade your cam to a nice Hughes grind, then run the M1 Single plane, you would do well.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:45 PM
Inactive User

For your application I would try the Performer RPM. I run one on the street in a combination much like yours. Pulls strong on the top end with no loss of torque at the bottom. I really like mine.
Old 02-28-2001, 12:52 PM
Inactive User

I would have to agree with mopar magazines article about the holley intake. I am running a 69 440
with mp 509 cam, 906 heads with bowl work and a holley 750 carb. this combination runs 11.90 in
my 3650lb 70 superbee with 1.70 60 foot times (still working on this combination as i have only ran it
four times last fall) A friend of mine is running one on his 11.2 67 coronet and switched from a m1
single and bettered his 60 ft while gaining slightly on his et. Another great advantage to this manifold
is it fits under the hood without cutting a hole and using a scoop. I hope this helps a little bit but I believe
this manifold is the best intake for a 440 under 6500 rpm. GOOD LUCK
Old 02-28-2001, 01:11 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up intake

had a holley street and strip single plane on my 440 mag charger(69). lots of top end but no bottom. switched to a edlebrock rpm air gap duel plane and picked up a lot of bottom end without a lot of top end loss. watch for hood clearance this intake is high.
Old 02-28-2001, 01:49 PM
Moparchat Barracuda Owner

440fied

All big block intakes are "air gaps". i hope you didn't buy it just because of the "air gap" clause.

Stock Big block intakes (cast iron from the factory) are "air gaps".

Its the chevy guys and the small blocks that need that "air gap" intake to seperate the valley area from the intake by a cool air area.

On the M1 dual plane it is designed the same as the M1 single plane except in a dual plane configuration for more low end torque where as the M1 single plane is for more upper end HP. The M1 Dual plane is like the factory intakes just aluminum but then so is the Performer and performer RPM in the same way (they are all dual plane that on the outside look stock).

I would keep the intake you have until you port the heads for more flow and change cams. That stock cam is made to run with a stock style intake system. When you step up to the 484 or larger cams then you will need a better flowing intake and heads and a higher stall converter. Do not go with a single plane intake on a stock motor it will fall on its face. Even my motor I have thought about changing from the single plane to a dual plane although I have a Weiand single plane which is way to big I think the M1 single will work tons better. I still think since I don't rev my motor over 6500 The performer RPM will work better for me.

Christian
Old 02-28-2001, 05:09 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for all the help guys!!

I think I'll keep my eye out for a Street Dominator at a swap meet, or the local bargain corner ads. I have seen them for around $50.00 used, so I think it would be a killer used part to buy.

Just looking at that dyno graph in the magazine, the Street Dominator does not make a whole lot of power below 3200 RPM, but then again, with 440 cubic inches, it's not like this things at a loss for torque. Plus with a 4-speed, you can kind of work around off-idle torque deffeciancies. I think a set of headers and this manifold will really wake this sucker up, especiall after I bump the compression a tad, and maybe do some bowl work to the heads.

Thanks again!!