Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Ram Truck Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-06-2001, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

Default HELP! I have no reverse Lights!!!

hey guys I really need help on this, I have no reverse lights and the truck has to go through a safety test at the end of the lease, in december. If they don't work, I can't drive it. I checked the bulbs, and I even checked for power at the fuse box, there was no power, what do I do now?
Old 10-06-2001, 04:50 PM

1st of all, what are you using to test for "power" & what did you use to "check" the bulbs with?
Is fuse #7 the fuse in your truck labeled as the one for backup lamps? If so, can you test it to see if it is still good?
I'll go further as you answer these questions.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:16 PM
Inactive User

I used a test light to see if the bulb was getting power, and the lights thamselves are fine, brand new, just in case, I just went out and got a reading of 9 volts from fuse 7's power, but I still have no lights, ther reason I thought it was before the fuse was because I had a bad ground with the test light, I used a multi meter to get the voltage readings. I could still use some help here though.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:33 PM

You should have 12v at the fuse. After the fuse the power goes to the "Park/Neutral position switch"(I'm assuming you have an automatic trans.) on a brown colored wire with a light green tracer(terminal #3). Coming off the switch is a wire violet in color with black tracer(terminal #1), from there it exits the cab & goes to the rear of the truck.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:59 PM
Inactive User

I could have had 12 volts at the fuse, I just checked the meter quick, you are right, I do have an automatic tranny, I'm beginning to suspect the neutral start/reverse switch, I'm guessing it's the only thing between the fuse and the lights?
Old 10-06-2001, 06:02 PM

Yes, that is the only device between them other than conections & a bunch of wire.
Old 10-06-2001, 06:57 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

fargo59 it is your neutral start/reverse switch that is in your tranny. i have 3 go out on my old trucks. thanks cmyindy
Old 10-06-2001, 09:54 PM
Inactive User

this is a problem with the ram, I noticed it when it came back from the body shop, they put a new bumper on it, so I figure if it's not the neutral safety, then it's a connection or fried wire, but I have no diagrams to look at so I'm only running off of assumptions, my other truck, has tons of wiring problems, but then it's still being built, and I know the wiring in it, I made it. I went out to check the switch, but the ohmeter wasn't working properly ( too cold, electronics freeze) so I'll have to try again some other day.
Old 10-06-2001, 10:00 PM

You didn't mention that you had body work/bumper replaced recently.(wish you had) It is quite possible while working on your bumper that the connectors may have been disconnected or cut. Just how much bodywork was done? In any case, the wire you need to look for should be violet with black tracer.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

the truck got bumped brom the passenger's rear as a guy bounced off a curb trying to sneak past in the same lane, the bumber was replaced and the rear quarter repaired, along with the tail light.
so it's a violet wire, with a black tracer, thanks, I'll just have to go through a and pull the casing off the wire and check continuity at all of the connecters between the switch and the lights.
Old 10-07-2001, 12:13 PM
Inactive User

Post Reverse lamps

Get under the truck and disconnect the neutral safety switch from the left side of the trans, its round and has three terminals. At the harness end one of the outside terminals should show 12volts with the key on. Using a paper clip or something jump that outside terminal to the other outside terminal and your reverse lamps should light. If they do the switch is bad. 99% of the time thats the problem. If your curious, the center terminal is what prevents your truck from starting in drive or reverse and has no affect on the lights. If you have 12 volts and jumping the terminals does not light the lights your problem is between the switch and the lights. If you do not have 12 volts your problem is between the switch and the power source (very odd if not a blown fuse).
Old 10-07-2001, 04:38 PM
Inactive User

I got under the truck and I have power to the switch just not out of it, anyone know where I can get a switch from? the local canadian tire( everything store) can't even order one, and since it's the long weekend (our Thanksgiving) all of the other stores are closed until tuesday. I was aware of the facts of the switch, even though I'm 15 and I'm working on my dad's ram, I just havn't been able to get a wiring diagram of the circuit, so I have to guess.
thanks.
Old 10-07-2001, 04:48 PM

The only other place might be a boneyard, but then it's life won't be that long either. You might just have to wait until Tuesday.
Old 10-07-2001, 05:24 PM
Inactive User

thanks, I wish I could even find a ram in a yard near here, they're non existent, anyone know how much a switch would cost? the only thing for a 98 ram at Canadian tire was a temperature sensor, and the local dealer is totally useless in finding anything, maybe I'll have to ask when the truck goes in for it's hood latch recall.
thanks.
Chris.