Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Drag Racing Forum

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Inactive User

Question 727 Torque Flight -- Optimal Tranny Fluid

Hey, guys. I need to find out what the best tranny fluid would be for my Cuda. It's got a 440, Stage VI heads, over 500 HP. Have a new 727 Torque Flight with a kit (cheetah). I want to make sure I have the best fluid I can to meet these needs. Running in the high 10's in the quarter mile. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2002, 04:28 PM
Inactive User

I'm running redline high temp tranny fluid in my dart with a trans brake and it works well. I'm not willing to spend thousands of dollars on tranny parts and then put in tranny fluid for a buck and a half from the parts store then wonder why it breaks. Of course my dart is broken right now but not because of the tranny!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:02 PM

Default type f

I have run type f for 10 years now in all my high performance trannies + have had no wear or breakage as well as our race car it has no softenig agents in it so no slip just bang,bang,bang no slip.and it is cheaper than trick shift or any thing else.

1939 dodge coupe 383 supercharged
1981 dodge challenger 340 2 stages NOS
1987 dodge dakota
1991 dodge spirit
Old 07-01-2002, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

Run type F but keep it changed often if you use store bought stuff. I would change the fluid after every two races. The synthetic stuff is better but still needs to be changed often. Remember, the heat will break down the fluid and will kill the tranny.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:58 AM
Inactive User

Thank you for the information. We have used the Red Line High Temp. I thought I'd heard that this may not be good for Mopar trannies. What about the Red Line Racing fluid? Also, is there a brand of non-synthetic fluids that is superior to others, in your opinion? If yes, please share. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2002, 07:20 PM

Thumbs up

I use TCI fluid in my 727 with great results
Old 07-02-2002, 09:09 PM
Inactive User

I use Valvoline FA with no problems...
Old 09-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Inactive User

Default dexron

Don't know if anyone is still reading this, but I recently rebuilt my 727 and put a B&M kit in it. The kit recomended suitable fluid, but didn't specify. I've been running dexron 3 in it, should I switch to f or fa? will it hurt to just switch from dexon to f, I've heard it' better to not switch motor oil brands, what about tranny fluid?
Old 09-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Inactive User

I use type F in my 727, works well! Do you have a drain plug on your convertor. I drilled mine and put in a threaded plug to change everything when I change fluid.
Is it shifting ok with the dexron 3? If so leave it alone.
Well motor oils are different. I had someone at the Sunoco refinery tell me that they were on the oil bottle line and there were several different brand bottles coming down the line getting the same oil. I am not concerned with changing different brands, I just use major brands (valvoline, castrol). Synthetic in my newer vehicles and my Cuda.
My Olds has 141K on it and still running strong!
Old 09-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Tranny oil

I use Quaker State Dextron III/Mercon in my Super Stock Challenger and it works great, no problems at all.
If it works leave it alone.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

ok, thanks, I'll just leave it alone then since it ain't broke. I'm buildng a big block right now, do you think I should start the 727 for it with FA? everyone seems to say it'll shift firmer which I want.
Old 09-07-2002, 10:32 PM
Inactive User

I use Quaker State type F fluid. I change the fluid and filter once a year before race season starts.We have been doing it this way since 1977 and the tranny in the Demon is now 12 years old,converter(Turbo Action) is 23. Now the fluid that Wal-Mart sells under their own brand is made for them by Quaker State,and it's cheaper.I called Quaker State to verify this after getting a case for a old beater I was working on and the case had a Quaker State shipping label on the carton.
Old 09-10-2002, 04:46 AM
Inactive User

This Year I trying something different ,( I been using type F)
I using Mopars type IV . Not cheap, What I like about it (I Think )
anti-wear properties are excellent. I think they have whale oil in it, that they put in the clutch diff.Most of you know that smell,Yuck.
Shifts hard and firm. I run a 440 cuda 3450lbs w/driver 10.70s Just some thing to think about.
Jim
Old 09-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Banned

been usinf type f for years it has a higher flash point than dextron also has a cleaning agent in it, transmission builder toldme "if ya dont have any leaks use synthetic it is slippererand will reduce trans temps 20 degrees." and they are one od the best shops in the country.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

I've been using Amsoil ATF for four years now in my transbrake equipped 904. 4000 chip and no cooler. I go through the tranny every year, it has never really needed it but it's just peace of mind to me. No I don't change the fluid either. I run it all year long. It's expensive fluid and it turns brown and yucky smelling pretty quickly but does not hurt it.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:18 AM
Inactive User

You might find this a little different from most replys.
Its an old trick from the 60,s super stock days used
by a transmission builder from that era. 2 quarts of
30w non detergent added to the tranny fluid. I use
it with Dextron III . I've been doing it for years in all of my
Mopars and never have had a transmission failure.
This includes street, strip, and tow. Any body else doing this?
Old 09-24-2002, 07:46 AM
Banned

No, and whats the thinking behind that one? beeem around along time and never heard of that one type f or syntheticand a good cooler is all ya need, no need to thicken the atf with 30 wt
Old 09-27-2002, 07:15 AM
Inactive User

Your right, its hard to beat a good tranny cooler.
The idea isn't to thicken the oil, thats the reason for
a 4:1 ratio, but to add better lubrication with less
oil breakdown.
Old 09-28-2002, 03:51 PM

Adding motor oil to ATF or running straight motor oil in an automatic transmission was all the vogue in the sixties when all they had was type A transmission fluid. Times change, ATF is now a very highly developed product, intended for a single purpose, but there will always be those who insist on home brewing what they perceive as a "better" fluid. (A formula usually arrived at by others' seat of the pants anecdotal experiences)

The over simplified purpose of motor oil is to lubricate, to form a film between metal parts to prevent contact and the ensuing wear. There are no organic friction materials in an engine. ATF, on the other hand, must provide a compromise of lubrication and friction modifiers to allow the friction material (clutches/bands) to make contact and transfer power. Adding motor oil to the ATF increases the lubricating properties of the fluid but at the cost of modifying the coefficient of friction.

The reason type F is popular for performance use is that it has slightly less lubricating properties in favor of reduced slippage of the friction material.

Whenever this subject arises there are a predictable number of folks who will describe their home brewed concoctions and will always add that "I've been doing that way for years and never had a problem". The old internet standby.

Motor oil is for motors, ATF is for automatic transmissions.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:06 AM
Inactive User

I apologize if my post offends. I did not mean to run out and drain the trans and fill it with my concoction. It was not my intention. Just stating what I do and with positive results.
Yes there is a fine line between optimum performance
and longevity. This has been the racers plague since the advent of auto racing. Clutchs need modifiers, hard parts need lubrication. I guess its a catch 22. Lubrication technology has advanced greatly in the last decade. Some offer better modifiers and some better lubrication. There has been a lot of good replies to this forum, from much experience. Keep the replies coming, thats what the forums are about. Like to hear more!