Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!  

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Front Wheel Drive Chat
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 01-14-2003, 11:48 AM

Post 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.2 Turbo Intercooled 5-speed with T-tops. How much?

I have recently came across a 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2.2 Turbo Intercooled 5-speed with T-tops. It has the turbo rise hood and all the ground effects. It has 154000 miles on it. The only thing wrong with it is the clutch is bad, or so the guy says . I think the tranny is gone to. I have not heard it run yet. The guy was leaving when I stopped to check it out. It has been sitting for about 2 years. How much is the car worth considering the condition?

Also what is the difference between a Shelby Z and a Shelby if any? It just says Daytona Shelby on the back.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:56 PM

The main difference between the ShelbyZ and Shelby are the year. Shelby Z was 87 and 88, in 89 they went to the plain Shelby. Pretty much the same car as the 88 except for the common block engine and different nose/ground effects. 89 was also the last year for T-tops.

Hard to say a price. It really depends on exactly whats wrong with it, and how much you want to pay. They're easy enough to fix for the most part.

Whats his asking price? Or do you just make an offer?
`87 Shadow ES - 2.2 TI / a520, black
`76 Plymouth Duster - 225 in the bay but 400 cubes on the back deck. bright orange
Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 PM

What do you mean about the common block engine? Compared to the engine that I have? I have a 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 Turbo with an Automatic tranny. As of now I am not sure as to what he will take for it. I was wondering what I should pay depending on what he says.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:17 PM

I think what Mopar_Nutz was trying to point out is that since this is a 89+ car you are looking at it has the common block engine casting. This casting was beefed up, and considered more reliable for high hp applications. It is pretty much accepted by most turbo dodgers that the 88 and below block is good up until about 250 hp reliably. Supposedly anything higher than 250hp on the pre 89 blocks will cause the mains to fail.
[url]http://plaza.ufl.edu/mpbiv/[/url]
Old 01-18-2003, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpbiv
It is pretty much accepted by most turbo dodgers that the 88 and below block is good up until about 250 hp reliably. Supposedly anything higher than 250hp on the pre 89 blocks will cause the mains to fail.
Just curious, is that 250 number for ALL 88 and older engines, or is that just the older TI engines? Since the 87 and 88 TII's were built quite a bit tougher than the TI's, can't they take a little more abuse?
`76 Plymouth Duster - 225 in the bay but 400 cubes on the back deck. bright orange
Old 01-18-2003, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopar_nutz

Just curious, is that 250 number for ALL 88 and older engines, or is that just the older TI engines? Since the 87 and 88 TII's were built quite a bit tougher than the TI's, can't they take a little more abuse?
I am pretty sure its true for all of the pre 89 stuff. All the blocks before then were essentially the same casting. The forged crank of the TII might give you a little bit of an advantage but probably just by buying you more time and slowing the effects at that power level. Of course if there was some sort of main cap girdle for these engine you could probably build a non common block with the same strength as a common block

Last edited by mpbiv : 01-18-2003 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:18 AM

Ok I finally got to DDG (only a few minutes later) so here are two quotes I took from the turbo database under the shortblock section:

Quote:
A forged crank might not be a bad idea in an early block application that's close to/over the 250 hp mark but this is only postponing the inevitable failure of the crank or main cap due to block twisting.
Quote:
In 1989 Chrysler introduced the common block engines- As the name implies all engines used the same casting and changes were made during machining based on what the casting was going to be used for. 12 pounds of extra material was added to the base of the block in the form of stiffer bulkheads and larger main caps to increase structural rigidity. A common block is a must for any engine making over 250 hp for any length of time otherwise broken main caps or crankshaft will be the result
Old 01-18-2003, 01:41 PM

thumbsup

Thanks for the additional info. So what is the stock HP from the factory for my 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 turbo?
Old 01-18-2003, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopard
Thanks for the additional info. So what is the stock HP from the factory for my 1988 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z 2.2 turbo?
You said your Shelby Z was auto, right? That would mean it's a TI (non-intercooled), so the power would be something like 146hp and 168# torque.

The TII Shelby Z would be 174hp, and 200-210# torque. I think Chrysler said 200, but I've heard the 210 number alot and seen it in a few mags.

The 89 Shelby TI would have 150 hp, 180# torque.
with the 89 TII being the same as 87 and 88 174/200-210)
Old 01-18-2003, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpbiv
Ok I finally got to DDG (only a few minutes later) so here are two quotes I took from the turbo database under the shortblock section:

I'm probably thinking of the entire engine as a package, instead of just the block. I know the TII and TI blocks from 88 back are the same. But the TII's have the beefier internals that would allow a little more power to be run thru them. But the block strength would be the same.

At least thats a possibility?

Either way, 89+ block is better. And thats why I have one in my garage
Old 01-18-2003, 08:11 PM

thumbsup

Was there ever a TII with an automatic tranny?
Old 01-18-2003, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mopard
Was there ever a TII with an automatic tranny?
Nope, the automatics were not "rated" for the power of the TII's.