Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Inactive User

Default Ultradyne Cams

Not sure how many folks here like or use Ultradyne cams, but thought I'd pass along that they have had some problems and were down for a while. They are not yet fully operational, but you can get their products by emailing Shaun Tiede at:

stiede@mail.ev1.net
Old 09-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Cool tip! There excellent cam makers. I hope they get it back together.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:00 PM

Well, as long as they can remember to pay their taxes, in the future...

I still think that Racer Brown makes a better cam. Oh, and Jim does remember to pay his taxes... LOL
Old 09-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Have you done a head to head compare?
Old 09-03-2003, 03:58 PM

You'll have to talk to Don, if you want to know about head to head comparisons.

The fact of Racer Brown is that Jim Doyle has been in business for over 35 years, making custom grind cams. Jim does all of the grinding, himself. Odds are, if you call Jim, when he first gets in and order your cam, he'll be grinding it later that day.

Jim has a great reputation and won't try to sell you a cam that won't work for your application. He will always try to sell you the cam that is best for your application.

Of course, Racer Brown is also withing a 90 minute drive of me.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 PM
Inactive User

Racer Brown sounds like a good outfit. I like those kind of shops. I've been really pleased with the Ultradyne products though. I never run anthing off the shelf, I always spec out my own grinds. As a rule, I can get away with less valve spring than what you might think. The only problem I ever had was the first time I tried one of their cams. We swapped out another makers cam and put in the Ultradyne. Almost identical advertised and @ .050 numbers and same LSA. Couldn't keep the car in it's own lane after the 2nd gear shift. After that was straightened out, the previous best et of 8.84 dropped to 8.68. I been sold on Ultradyne ever since.

I'll check out Racer Brown sometime.

...forgot to pay taxes...ever see It's a Wonderfull Life?...LOL!
Old 09-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

Does this mean Harold is redesigning cams at Lunati AND reopening Ultradyne?

Cecil
Old 09-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Inactive User

I'm not quite sure of all the details just yet. I've been in discussion withj Shaun Tiede during this and have tried to avoid bothering Harold. I've got Harold's personal email address and might correspond with him directly to see how the whole thing is shaking out. In the mean time, Ultradyne cams can be ordered and delivered by working through Shaun.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:29 PM
Inactive User

What is Shaun's realtionship to Ultradyne? I've always dealt with Tim Goolsby.

This is encouraging news, however. I have a 440 project for a friend in the works and will be needing a cam.

I am also totally sold on Ultradyne. I've used alot of different cams in a lot of different motors and Ultradyne works the best. Don't know why alot of people here are always slamming them...
Old 09-05-2003, 12:44 AM

I have never seen anyone slam the Ultradyne cam. It is one of the few brands that were actually designed for MOPAR engines. It's just that some of us feel that Jim Doyle (Racer Brown) makes a better cam.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Inactive User

I've worked a lot with both Tim and Harold in the past as well. From what I can tell, Shaun came on board as another engineering type and is now, for all intents and purposes Ultradyne. I'm still trying to figure out Harold's situation...heck, this might be a good reason to go to PRI this year...
Old 09-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Inactive User

Another FYI, they are working on a new 530 lobe series. I think w/o this series, they have been at a bit of a disadvantage the past couple of years, given recent cylinder head inovations. So, this is a good move on their part.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Can you tell us more about this new 530 series lobe? How does it compare to the NF series lobes for Mopars?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Inactive User

I wish I could tell you more. I can only assume it will be aggressive. I hope that is not wishfull thinking. As I get more info, I'll pass it along.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:11 PM
Inactive User

I am running a RB cam and although it took me about 2 months to get it it degreed right where it was spec'd at. Pulls good in my 340.

Quote:
Jim does all of the grinding, himself. Odds are, if you call Jim, when he first gets in and order your cam, he'll be grinding it later that day.
I wish that would have been the case when I ordered mine. I would buy another as long as it came a little quicker. I have never run an Ultradyne...maybe someday.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Banned

There are or were several good "one on one" cam ginders...the mass merchandisers of off the shelf, buy it cheap products have made it extremely hard on the small, high quality, service orientated business's to compete with the cheaper and quicker Mail order Walmarts of the performance industry.

Ultradyne is experiencing 1st hand how difficult it is to compete with the cookie cutter cam grinders. I never had allot of luck with their cams in our Sprint Cars...made great power but we had to change valve springs every week....

I've worked with Jim on the Mopar stuff now for a few years and because of his attention to detail and being able to have him grind cams based on our combined knowledge and input of the ignition and fuel systems we've enjoyed tremendous success building big reliable power.

You can order a cam from many good grinders, but when you get the tune-up guy involved you'll get that little extra thought before the grinding wheel starts to turn.

...and Jim's a real Mopar Guy!

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 09-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Inactive User

Interesting observations. I'd say my experiences with Ultrdyne mirror yours with Racer Brown. Ultradyne has had several "close calls" as far as remaining in business the last few years. Some of the Employees were even raided by CC a couple years ago.

Over the years, you are the second person that I know of, who has had problems with valve spring life when using Ultradyne cams. The first being my cylinder head guy (Meaux Racing Heads down in Lousiana). It's my understanding, where problems can arise is when too much rocker is used with too much ramp. The profiles I tend to use, don't like more than a 1.8:1 rocker. I'm hoping this new 530 series will give the combination I want for high lift applications.

I have worked very closely with Harold Brookeshire in the past when it was time to decide on a new cam for an application. I have never experienced those problems. In fact I get away with running less spring than what folks might seem is correct and have had very good spring life. It ties that back to your comment about beig involved. Harold always called me the "Ford Guy" and kept a record of everything I ordered and could tell me everthing about the "average" lobe I would order (everything from ramp rates to transition rates, ...transition rates being the most important for stability and longevity, etc). This made it real easy for me to adjust one way or the other for what I needed to achieve and still meet my "endurance" expectations.

So, although Ultradyne may not be "Mopar People" specifically. They are engine people and have a good understanding of dynamics regardless of the logo cast on the block/heads.

...and sometimes they could be late delivering too, especially if you need something ground from a hard to get core (huge lobe, wide LSA)...but the wait has always been worth it.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:20 AM
Banned

Thanks for your input and update on a very well known and respected Company, even over here on the lowly Mopar board.

I hope they make it, I hate to see real performance people vanish to the Corporate Barracuda's (pun intended) eating up all the little fish.

Say Hi to the Blue Oval Boy's for me.....you can let them know that it's true I did loose to a Ford in the final round last weekend, I know it sounds impossible but the .496 red lite in my lane saved his butt......*%&^% Firds....LOL

Better than loosing to a 78 Slowmero 350/350 with a 350 gear.

Keep us posted, if they're at PRI this year I'll stop by and give 'em some support from the Mopar contigency.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed too!..and Hey, there's nothing lowly about this board. It has quickly become one of my favorite places.

Sorry to hear you lost by a red light. Back when we Bracket Raced we lost on a .500 bulb before...DOH!...happens to the best of us.

If I find out they're going to the PRI, I'll pass it along. I've been thinking of going myself this year. I haven't gone since they moved from Columbus!

Happy Motoring.