Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!  

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Performance Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Torque boxes: Worth it?

Hi, has anyone installed these and noticed any difference in handling? They usually come in a set of four and are really supposed to reduce body roll. I've already added a front and rear swaybar, so would this make much of a difference?

Auto Rust Technicians talk a lot about these on their website.

Thanks!

No more cars due to divorce. Past cars include 70 Challenger, 71 Charger and 73 Roadrunner. Now living vicariously through my father-in-law who owns www.canadianclassiccars.ca
Old 11-10-2004, 08:21 PM

well, they supposedly increase chassis rigidity by triangulating and reinforcing the corners of our subframes on the unibody structures. this makes sense to me, as he factory did it on convertables to help with the rigidity due to no roof structure. my opinion is, that after 30+ years, ungodly miles, and the abuse that most owners gave these cars, strengthening anything may not be a bad idea. it may only bring it back up to a factory level of rigidity, but thats better than before.
mike
Old 11-10-2004, 09:19 PM

I've got them on my Valiant (2-door post car), and although I'm sure they help, I can't say that I noticed a difference. I installed the ART subframe connectors first, and they made a HUGE difference. I used to think my little post car was pretty rigid, but apparently it wasn't. I used the 2x2 SFC's, since I can't penetrate the floor boards due to the rules of the autocross class I race in. However, since torque boxes were OE on verts and hemi/6-pk cars, they're legal for me. Every little bit helps... Also, FWIW, on my A-body, even the 2x2 SFC's are supposed to penetrate the floor boards, but I rearranged things a bit (and dimpled the floor) to make it work without.

If you don't already have SFC's, you can do a neat experiment and let us all know how well the torque boxes work before doing the SFC's. IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the SFC's, though.

Clair
Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 AM

agreed. sfc's first, torque boxes second, tube frame third
Old 11-12-2004, 12:59 PM

Yes, I already have sfc's and front and rear sway-bars, but I figured as long as my underbody isn't completely finished, I still have time to add some torque boxes....

No more cars due to divorce. Past cars include 70 Challenger, 71 Charger and 73 Roadrunner. Now living vicariously through my father-in-law who owns www.canadianclassiccars.ca
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

Talking

The tq bones wont make much of a diff, but the sub frame connectors or a roll cage will work wonders.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:02 AM

Question Sub frame connectors

I know nothing about sub frame connectors (SFCs.) But this is what I am guessing they are; please correct me as needed....

I think that our Mopars are unibody cars; they don't have a full frame. Rather they have a sub frame in the front third of the car for the front suspension and they have a subframe in the rear third of the car for the rear suspension. These two subframes are only connected to each other through the sheet metal of the unibody car. (Right so far??)

So SFCs must be some heavy wall channel steel that connects the front subframe to the rear subframe. Again I am guessing that there must be two channels, one for left side and one for right side. I assume these must be welded in? or are they a bolt in thing?

What is an approx cost for SFCs? and what is a good vendor for such? Experience about installing them? Do they interfeer with any other component such as exhaust pipes, e-brake cable, or other?

Thanks for the education I hope.

Tim Eckert
Concord NC
72 Cuda
360/904
Old 11-13-2004, 03:58 AM

You can buy bolt in sub-frame connectors; however, the holes will oval out over time. Custom fabrication is the way to go.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/connectors/connectors.shtml

Ed - MoPower

'06 Ram 2500 SLT QC Cummins 4X4
'68 Charger 383-4
'69 Coronet 500 Convertible 440-4

'96 Ram 1500 SLT CC 360 4X4 (traded in)

MOPAR - Move Over Power Arriving Rapidly
Old 11-15-2004, 11:05 AM

i did these subframe connectors on my duster. they ARE NOT as easy as this site claims. i had to dimple my floorboards for clearance. they really tigtened the car, though. good investment. just make sure that you have all your supplies before you start, like grinder wheels, sawzall blades, and welding gas...
mike
Old 11-15-2004, 11:53 AM

Nice site, very valuable information and install how-too.

Looks to me though, that the way the author installed those SFC's that no dimpling of the floorboards was necessary.

2005 Dodge Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4 4.7
1971 Dodge Demon 340
Old 11-15-2004, 01:42 PM

Mopar Performance sell a prefabricated subframe connector for A-B-E body cars for a about $100 with discount. I have them on three crs and they make a significant difference. Although they are advertised as bolt-ins, I bolt them into position and them have them welded in place. Every thing needed is included in the kit they wrap round the rear sub frame extension.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:04 PM

I use 3" square tubing, .090 wall, and pass it through the floor. The front floorpan area barely needs to be cut, but the sfc will be about an inch above the bottom of the rear floorpan, front to back. I weld the floor to the sfc, then cut 1' thick hard styrofoam to fill in the floorpan around it, then cover it all with the carpet. No one knows the difference!

torch