Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:45 PM
Inactive User

Default 225 Slant Six wiped a thrust bearing

Hi, all,

I am new here, and hopefully somebody can answer this question. I bought a rebuilt 225 slant six for my kid's Dart and it wiped the thrust bearing in about 3000 miles. I got the rebuilder to freight the labor, and I bought the parts. He claimed the trans caused it, but in my 20+ years of working on cars I have never seen this. Also, I had the trans rebuilt anyway, because the thing had over 200,000 miles on it. The cooler lines are clear, and it is a NEW radiator, so there is no pressure that could allegedly push the crank. My transmission guy claims that the trans cannot take out the thrust bearing, anyway. I bought this complete, since the old engine threw a rod. I've rebuilt many engines, including two other slant sixes, but didn't have this problem.

Anybody else seen this happen? Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:02 AM

BS!

I believe what your transmission guy said. I think the rebuilder had improper clerances between the crank & bearings. He is using the tranny as an excuse for his shoddy work.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, nhdriver, that is about what I figured. Since it has been a couple years, there's no warranty. Oh, well. Better find another rebuilder, I guess. Or do it myself.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Big Tuna

Biggrin

A trans can and may take out a thrust bearing, but it does have to go way over pressure to do it. (Ford wiped out tons of thrust bearings with the AOD in vans)

Driving style has way more to do with knocking out a thrust bearing. Which side of the bearing was trashed, front or back? Standing on it in low gear and backing off will knock the crap out of the back side.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Inactive User

Thanks, dschumers. My kid drives it pretty cool, as it is one of the weakest slant sixes I have ever seen. I haven't pulled the engine out yet, but last time (on the first rebuild) it took out the trans side of the bearing. I think. All he ever does is put it in Drive to go forward.