Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
Inactive User

Default has anyone...

fully blown their /6?

had mine in a 65 dart (if you know where i can find a 2dr w/ post LET ME KNOW!) ...a coworker said to me 'you can never blow those'. so...i tried, and failed. someone pulled out infront of me and ended up totaling the body before i could ever finish what i had started
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 PM

First of all I have never seen a blown six second pardon my french but I belive your a fucking dumbass. I hope you dont find another car because anyone stupid enough to try to blow a six and run into somone while doing it is a idiot and shoudnt even own a mopar.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vschoeneman View Post
fully blown their /6?

had mine in a 65 dart (if you know where i can find a 2dr w/ post LET ME KNOW!) ...a coworker said to me 'you can never blow those'. so...i tried, and failed. someone pulled out infront of me and ended up totaling the body before i could ever finish what i had started

Now, that wasn't very smart, was it? That could be an expensive lesson.
Car $$$$$
engine$$$$$
Ticket$$$$$
Lawsuit$$$$$$$
Increased insurance costs for 5 years $$$$$$$

I just hope you didn't hurt anyone.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Inactive User

moparman...

first off, i was going the speed limit through a school zone and someone decided to turn into me.

second, i only tried to blow it on the jackrabbit trail in arizona (which is just a open dirt field)

maybe you shouldnt be so quick to judge?
Old 10-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Inactive User

and to charrlie...

it wasnt my fault. they pulled infront of ME and then i got a bunch of out of the deal for sueing their ass.

and i didnt hurt them, i now have a ****** up neck from the deal.

when i was being 'dumb' i never hurt anyone, the only accident i had been in is that one, where I got hurt from doing everything right.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM

My apoligies. The way I read your post, was you had the accident while trying to blow up the engine.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrlie_S View Post
My apoligies. The way I read your post, was you had the accident while trying to blow up the engine.
Same thing my bad.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Inactive User

Somebody can always break anything. It's like the guys who shipped an anvil Pacel Post years ago and the Post office actually broke the anvil! If you have oil in a "Leaning Tower of Power", they are hard to destroy, although bad timing chains on them can wreck the valve trains. One of the tree services in town has a slant 6 on a big chipper, and of course, it's about 35 years old, but it keeps on going. I imagine it's recieved better maintance and care than most engines, however.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Big Tuna

LOL

Hang around with the Slant racers. You'll be amazed at what you can break.

I've personally seen chunks of crank that were blown out on the track.

I have the first 10 second door car Slant block at my shop. It has a bunch of holes in it where rods came out on a burnout.

I've also seen a block that the small end of a rod broke off of at 6500 RPM. The rod stayed on the crank and sawed the block and head almost completely in half.

It is not unusual to see Slants with the starter knocked off of by the #5 rod coming out.

I've never broken a rod in my motor, but I did weld one up pretty good when the Mopar cam ate the drive gear off my oil pump. I saved the block, head, and 4 pistons out of that one.

Killed a couple pistons with the hose too.

Nothing is indestructable.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Inactive User

I have a '63 dart willing to sell for a good price.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

I must say I am amazed a 16 year old would know what a slant six is in the first place. I spun the bearings in a slant six in 1983 as I was heading back to college and lost the rear clutch pack in my 1962 Belvedere I 2dr sedan. I think the car is now a Hemi clone car. Does anyone have a "TA22" slant six? Let's see who knows what that code on a slant six might mean...

Blessings,
Shakota

PS -- My dad has three 64 Dart wagons.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Big Tuna

Laugh

TA22 in a '62? Was that the code for the aluminum block?
Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 AM

Yeah thats the code for aluminum block just plain T22 was iron block got a pretty rare motor there. Most didin't survive.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Inactive User

Ding, ding, ding!!! That is correct! Though I did not have one in my 62 Belvedere, I saw one once in a salvage yard. Too bad it had a big whole in the side. Did you know the marine version of the slant 6 turned the opposite direction compared to the auto/truck version?

God Bless,
Shakota
Old 01-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Yeah they did that for two reasons On a single engine craft a standard prop will work if im not mistaken. The main reason as when you put two engines in one boat unless one runs backwards you have a problem with the torque steer and control.

The only major difference is the cam.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM

Well, since you ask - I killed the 225 in the Duster. Long story short-ish.
I came home to find the nice man from the council (I'm assuming at the request of my landlady) had put a note on the car and the 8 1/4 axle sitting in front of it. I had 72 hours to clear the parts away (it was on a Friday) and move the non-operational vehicle from the driveway. I called him and he said that if I pumped up the flat tire and turned the car around he'd sign it off, but the axle (complete with 5th Ave wheels and tires) had to go. I'd been tripping over the axle for months and decided this was my wake up call, so I got up early on the following Sunday and swapped the 7 1/4 out. Couldn't get the Dart drive shaft to fit, but managed to use one from a '73 Matador of all things (who knew?).
Anyway, the slant has been knocking, so I'd been saving what little life was left in it to move it when needed. With my new axle in place I took it around the block, and 100yards from home the rear wheels locked up (the guy across the street heard the chirp and thought I'd lit them up). I put it in neutral and coasted to a spot outside the house. The motor barely turns now so I think it's spun a bearing. Oh well. I decided it's probably high time I got off my butt and got around to finishing the 360, so last week I started stripping out the engine bay, and found wrinkles in the sheetmetal under the battery tray and a missing K-member bolt on the front left side where it doesn't line up with the chassis leg. Ho hum. It'd be boring if it was too easy, wouldn't it?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Inactive User

My brother, a USAF A1C fresh out of AIT, was driving his '77 Volare /6 4sp, that dad gave him, home to ATL from England AFB, La, back in '89. Unbeknownst to him, the fuel pump diaphragm cracked and began filling the crankcase with gasoline. Somewhere near Mobile at around 4am, there was a loud boom under the hood. He coasted her off the highway onto a nearby exit and after waiting a few hours, was lucky enough to find an honest mechanic who took pity on him. The minor explosion blew a hole in the valve cover, and no surprise, a rod was knocking. They found a valve cover and a working fuel pump in a local junkyard and got her buttoned up enough to nurse it the rest of the way home. Having no inclination for engine mechanics, my brother bought himself a little p/u and left the poor car with dad to be hauled off.

We miss that old car. Dad got it cheap and used to have lots of fun with the 4sp behind that motor.