Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Inactive User

Default Salt 6 225 exhaust

help!I have a 70' in pretty good shape but has a exhaust leak. It's the 225.
I can find the gaskets but not the hardware. Also will a later year exhaust
manifold fit incase this one is cracked. I hear late ones are made a little
thicker.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

As far as I know, all the 225 Slant 6 (and maybe ALL of the Slant 6 manifolds) exhaust manifolds should be interchangeable. There may be some emissions garbage on the later models that you don't want, but have you considered a header instead?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 AM
Inactive User

If replacing the exhaust manifold, the header option is a good one, however why not get a 2bbl inlet & exhaust from a "Super Six" it will save you trying to split the inlet & exhaust manifolds and a little bit more go.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Inactive User

There is no special "Super Six" exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold used on the "Super Six" package is identical to the exhaust manifold used on the one barrel cars of those years. "Super Six" cars did get an oversize (2 1/4 inch) exhaust pipe though.

All factory slant six manifolds are interchangeable, but you have to watch out for the choke pocket. Up to the mid 70s, the choke pocket was a "closed" design that won't accept the factory two barrel choke mechanism.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Inactive User

"Reed .... There is no special "Super Six" exhaust manifold".

I know but trying to seperate inlet & exhaust can cause a problem, this could be a good chance to up grade to a 2 bbl manifold with slightly more performance potential.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM

Ok im confused what are you talking about when you say split the intake and exhaust?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

"moparman92 ... Ok im confused what are you talking about when you say split the intake and exhaust?"

The inlet manifold is bolted to the exhaust manifold, if you were chasing just an exhaust manifold then you would have to unbolt it and rebolt to your own inlet or, yes, you could just buy a 1 bbl manifold complete with exhaust. Seperating the 2 can be a real pain, the bolts can break and then you have to align the 2 manifolds and seal the hot box.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

It really isn't that hard to install the manifolds on a slant six. Yes, the bolts can get brittle and break, but after 30+ years of service and thousands of heat cycles, this is to be expected. You would want to replace them anyway. Head over to www (dot) slantsix.org for lots of answers about sealing manifolds and the proper gaskets to use on the slant six.

Instructions on manifold mounting are found here: www (dot) slantsix.org/articles/manifold-install/types-mounting.htm

If you are handy, you can even turn your one barrel intake into a two barrel intake. Instructions are found here: www (dot) slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39270
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart 360 View Post
"moparman92 ... Ok im confused what are you talking about when you say split the intake and exhaust?"

The inlet manifold is bolted to the exhaust manifold, if you were chasing just an exhaust manifold then you would have to unbolt it and rebolt to your own inlet or, yes, you could just buy a 1 bbl manifold complete with exhaust. Seperating the 2 can be a real pain, the bolts can break and then you have to align the 2 manifolds and seal the hot box.
Thanks for clearing that for me lol was having a blond moment mine came apart fine when i had to pull it apart.