Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Inactive User

Default slant for a flat head

recently picked up a 51 cranbrook. motor is tired and burning oil (valves or rings). I found a rebuilt slant 6 out of a mid to late 60's van that has never been installed (built about a year ago) with three speed trans for a sweetheart deal. any comments or suggestions on the amount of fab swapping will take? I have 10 years as a line mech, but have never done a custom swap job. The exhaust is an issue off the bat being that the flat head runs header on pass side, but thats something I can work out. any advice would be great! thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfrees View Post
recently picked up a 51 cranbrook. motor is tired and burning oil (valves or rings). I found a rebuilt slant 6 out of a mid to late 60's van that has never been installed (built about a year ago) with three speed trans for a sweetheart deal. any comments or suggestions on the amount of fab swapping will take? I have 10 years as a line mech, but have never done a custom swap job. The exhaust is an issue off the bat being that the flat head runs header on pass side, but thats something I can work out. any advice would be great! thanks
An intriguing swap. I guess the best option would be to get Slant 6 headers from some place like Clifford and work it around the frame rail (if that interferes). My guess is the hard part will be the steering box because I ran into exactly the same issue with my '50 Coronet.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 PM

The other issue is the engine mounting points...

The flathead has a front mount that encompasses the timing cover, it's right up there, while the slant's is a little way back along the block. Another issue is the E-brake, which on your car would be on the back of the gearbox.

I think that fabricating mounts on your crossmember shouldn't be too hard, and maybe you can move the engine a bit to the right as the later cars have, but the brake situation might be more difficult.

Then again, if you look carefully at the bellhousing on your flathead, you might well be able to get the slant bolt pattern superimposed on the flat plate at the front and mount it up fine. Starter location might become an issue, but none of that's something that can't be worked out.

Another way round that would be to fit a late rear end with the E-brakes at the wheels.