Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
Inactive User

Default timing/all engine

I got my /6 running great but one thing keep bothering me, was why the timing was off between #1 and 6 cylinder by 8 degs. the reason I writing this to tell you to time the engine off #6 cylinder if you have a clip on magnetic pickup on the timing light .I found that when the pickup is on #1 plug wire the rf coming off the back of the alternator interfered with its reading, I un plugged the regulator field wire and it changed 8degs. and was the same( finally) on 1&6 cyl. this set the timing too slow .so next I checked the alt didoes they all passed the test .Alternator was putting out a whole 35amps.And I used a good snap-on timing light. so disable the alt.or time them on #6. I hate to learn new stuff at my age but I'm sure some of the mopar techs came across this many years ago. the end( I hope) until the 340 goes in next spring.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:26 PM

huh ?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Inactive User

Sounds more like the plug wires are leaking.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ted View Post
huh ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirorod View Post
Sounds more like the plug wires are leaking.
The above makes PERFECT sense and is simply another aspect of "modern stuff."

We had a member on here some time ago who refused to believe that his MSD was interfering with the regulator circuit, causing overcharging.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

I had the same problem with a gm mod&coil from flame thrower. it caused high voltage reg reading at 15.5v. on my duster and it was mounted near the alt and dist.I deal with this stuff all day working or fire trucks, all computers component's ,engine, trans,ETC ABS,ROLLOVER PROTECTION,GENERATORS ,STROBE LIGHTING ,DUEL high power Alternator,600 AMPS , 3 RADIOS SYSTEMS ,MEDICAL LAPTOPS,SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THAT OCCURE ARE SPEEDO READING 30MPH WHILE SITTING STILL(ALT DIAOS BAD) BUT CHARGING GREAT AND NO OTHER PROBLEMS,ALL KINDS OF FALSE CODES GIVEN OFF FROM ALL ELECTRICAL MOTORS(STARTER,PRIMER PUMP MOTOR,EMERGENCY HYDROLIC MOTORS,AND OVER 700 RELAYS AND SWITCHES SETTING OFF FALSE ABS/ATC/ROLL OVER CODES (CABLES ROUTED TO CLOSE TO THE SENSOR) IT A DIFFERENT WORLD OUT THERE NOW.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

I had the same problem with a gm mod&coil from flame thrower. it caused high voltage reg reading at 15.5v. on my duster and it was mounted near the alt and dist.I deal with this stuff all day working or fire trucks, all computers component's ,engine, trans,ETC ABS,ROLLOVER PROTECTION,GENERATORS ,STROBE LIGHTING ,DUEL high power Alternator,600 AMPS , 3 RADIOS SYSTEMS ,MEDICAL LAPTOPS,SOME OF THE PROBLEMS THAT OCCURE ARE SPEEDO READING 30MPH WHILE SITTING STILL(ALT DIAOS BAD) BUT CHARGING GREAT AND NO OTHER PROBLEMS,ALL KINDS OF FALSE CODES GIVEN OFF FROM ALL ELECTRICAL MOTORS(STARTER,PRIMER PUMP MOTOR,EMERGENCY HYDROLIC MOTORS,AND OVER 700 RELAYS AND SWITCHES SETTING OFF FALSE ABS/ATC/ROLL OVER CODES (CABLES ROUTED TO CLOSE TO THE SENSOR) IT A DIFFERENT WORLD OUT THERE NOW.