Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-27-2001, 02:54 AM
Inactive User

Angry Slant Six has no Power!! 2

I have the same problem as in the other post, but here is more info on the car.
I have an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb, The engine place wouldn't give me cam specs except for that it was a High Energy Cam, I don't know what gears I have in the rear, but whatever they are they are the origonal slant six gears.
So should I take my car to a different shop and see if they cant hook up the KD linkage?

Thanks,

Jake
Old 07-27-2001, 10:35 PM
Big Tuna

Unhappy New shop!

I would find a new shop based solely on the fact that this guy can't tell you the specs on the cam. There is a very real possibility that the cam isn't installed properly too. You definitely need the K-D linkage hooked up or you will soon toast the transmission.
Old 07-28-2001, 01:32 AM

No KD = big time soft shifts and major slipping under power. The trans thinks there is no load on the motor because the KD is not being acted upon. So it shifts nice and slow (smoooth) when in fact it might be floored and the slow smooth shift is going to roast a band or clutch pack because there is not enough pressure being delivered to the anular piston or cutch pack to hold the shell under this power situation.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:29 PM

What the #@$%, Jake, if you don't know your axle ratio, THEN GO OUT TO THE CAR AND CHECK IT!!!!!!! How hard is that to figure out ?!?!?! If you have an open differential, and you probably do, then do this:

1. Jack up ONE rear tire, put trans in Neutral.

2. Lay on ground and watch driveshaft turn at rear U joint. (Engine off. Turn wheel with HAND to see driveshaft turn.)

3. Spin rear wheel by hand. Have someone tell you to stop when the wheel makes EXACTLY 2 turns.

4. While the wheel is making its 2 turns, your job is to count how many turns the driveshaft makes. The number of turns will be your axle ratio.

5. Your answer WILL be one of the following: 2.45, 2.71, 2.76, 2.94, 3.21, 3.23, 3.55, 3.90, 3.91, or 4.10 . If your car has stock gears, and it probably does, then the answer will most likely be between 2.71 and 3.23.

If it were me, AND I let someone else touch my engine when I wasn't there to supervise, (so highly unlikely so as to be impossible), I'd demand a detailed list of everything done and all parts used to do it! Even if they don't know the specs, They can at least give you the full name and model number of the cam! We can go to the cam website and find the specs on our own.

You better take that car SOMEWHERE and get that KD linkage hooked up if you can't handle it on your own!!! Go to a transmission shop, preferably one who knows older Mopars. Look in the phone book.

Dammit, man, I want to see you get that /6 car running good and fast, but YOU have to do some work too!

And there's no need to start a new topic everytime. Just keep posting to this one since it has the most current information (?).
Old 08-02-2001, 03:53 PM
Inactive User

i just gotta say....every time i see that topic.... i think... duh.....i mean its a 6....hehe
Old 08-02-2001, 07:36 PM
Inactive User

Gee guys, just point him over to http://www.slantsix.org or http://www.slantsix.com . We'll educate him there...
Old 08-30-2001, 09:30 PM
Inactive User

IF you HAVE to drive the car without the kickdown hooked up, for god's sake, wire it all the way back! that way you won't roast a band (it will not automatically downshift, though)