Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Slant Six Chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Inactive User

Confused saving gas

Gas prices are getting way to high. I have a 79 Aspen with a /6 2bbl, automatic transmission. What are some things I can do to save on gas. I do not know exactly what it is getting, I just got the car.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:44 AM
Inactive User

I doubt you'll be able to improve much on the MPG it got when it was new without serious mods, like a taller rear gear, a modern transmission, etc. Basically, preventive maintenance. Keep the ignition in good tune (good plugs, cap, rotor and wires), make sure the choke is working properly, keep your tire pressures up and drive with a light foot.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Make sure you keep all the weight out of it such as tool boxes and what ever else might be in there. Set you timming, get rid of the stock cat converter and a 2" exhuast and a full flow muffler will help. Make sure it's tuned up, your carb idle is set low along with the idle mixture screws and keep your tires aired up to 32 to 35 psi at least. Leave the air off and don't use the cruise control if you have it.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:43 AM
Inactive User

Laugh vacuum hoses

Would i improve a little gas milage by taking out all the vacuum hoses that I do not need? If so, which ones can I take off, and what should the timing be set at?
Old 05-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Banned

Biggrin

Don't think it will make much of a difference, but you only need to one to the choke pull off and the one to the heater controls. You could pull that heavy beam out from behind the front and rear bumpers. That would help. I'd bet that would be close to 100 lbs. That would help you more than anything.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Inactive User

Default pull out that heavy...

right foot. i can get 20+mpg in my slant Ram 150, but it requires a conscientous effort on my part to SAVE the gasoline. no hard acceleration and short shifting the tranny.

sb
Old 01-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Inactive User

Yeah, got the same concern

There´s a list of things I did for saving some gas;
First, I changed from conventional spark plugs to platinum plugs and gap them at different calibrations until I got the optimal. (according to how the car runs, idles,and smells¡ yeah smells, I'll explain later).
Second, I rebuilt the carburetor and changed all gaskets and adjusted the jets at the minimum possible.
Third, I got new spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor.
Finally, I set the ignition timing not using a timing light, but my nose¡¡ you have to smell the gas coming out of the tail pipe and adjust the advance until you aren´t able to perceive any smell of burnt fuel but just clean odorless combustion gases.

I spend 15-20 dollars on gas a week to commute to work and back home, and the traffic's really bad¡ (almost a 35-40 minute d
Old 01-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

LOL Thanks

I didnt ask the question but for the first post that I have read on the forum I can tell that I will learn plenty from you all!!

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Inactive User

Default Good octane

I have found that using high octane gasoline helps to get better MPGs and, of course, concious light foot driving. You will end up paying pretty much the same than using regular unleaded but your engine will be running much cleaner and you'll extend the life of your tune ups keeping your carb and plugs cleaner.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 PM

And all of these recommendations seem to cost money... except for the light foot one, of course...

Assuming that the purpose of saving fuel is to save money, where do you draw the line? Where does balance come in?

Commenting on what I've found, and I diligently check fuel consumption all the time, I can tell you that weight counts for virtually nothing in highway driving. Around town, when you're slowing and accelerating all the time it matters, but you can get the same fuel consumption (within 1%) with six Sumo wrestlers and their luggage in the car as you will with a scrawny driver and no passengers.

So a lot depends on the driving you're doing.

A taller rear end can be a negative as well as a positive, too. Go too tall for your power unit in a car that's constantly around town and you find it works so hard getting off the line that it drinks fuel.

If you really want to do something serious about it, if the mileage you drive means it will make a difference, make up a manifold (or find one) and fit SU carburettors and get them set up properly.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater.

Bump for gas milage!!!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Inactive User

IF all you care about is better fuel economy you could swap the 2bbl for a 1bbl like the /6 dusters but then you'd get 0-60 in 5 miles..

The good gas does burn a little slower from my experience but if the motor has a half a million miles on it, it might not run at all. I had a 75 duster that wouldn't idle if I put high octane in it..