Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-27-1999, 02:35 AM
MoparChat Support Staff

Biggrin

Welcome to the new forum where you can tell us about all those street scuffles you have gotten into. We are ready for some great stories here, so what are you waiting for!

Also, have any other great ideas for forum topics? Please drop us an e-mail and we will get it up!
Old 08-27-1999, 08:20 PM
Inactive User

Smile

Well, it happened that on the way home from work last night. I came upon a stop light and next to me is a 99 F150 w/4.6 Triton in a great red (my ram is redder) with a couple of young guys in the cab (about 18ish), probably dads truck. He rolled down the window to ask what V8 I had under the hood, to which I replied "your worst nightmare". Well, with that the light turned green and off we went. I had turn the OD off and put the auto in 1st and manually shifted the trans as we went. Only took about 2 seconds for the Ford to realize that it aint happenin' for him so he let off. Score Dodge 1 Ford 0.
Old 08-28-1999, 02:24 AM
Inactive User

This one happened back in 1983.I had a 79 Dodge "Little Red Express" truck.I was cruising down I-295 minding my own buisiness,when a buddy in a 82 Camaro sees me and wants to run "top end".The chebby has a 305 engine.So we slow down to 25mph and we go for it.The 360 in the Dodge just pulled away from that poor 'ol chebby like he was tied to a post.Anyway,the speedo in the Dodge is coming back up on the 5mph mark(it stopped at 85)and I FLY by a Florida State Trooper parked in the median.I figure I was going so fast,he won't bother.I figured wrong.I pull over,He asks the usual questions for the paperwork,and asks why I was going so fast.I tell him I wanted to see what the truck would do.He tells me to get out and go with him to his car.At this point,I'm figuring I'm going to jail.He has me look in the car at the radar and it says 137 mph!!I know I'm going to jail now.He says for me to go back to the truck,and after sweating bullets,all I get is a warning.He said I had repaired his wife's Chrysler 5th ave the previous Friday and it's never run better,so that was his reason for not writing a ticket,plus he liked the truck.As far as the chebby,it was at Earl Scheib's for new paint. Now I also wan't to say I personally do not condone street racing.I know we've all done it,including me,but it puts a bad name on organized drag racing.I guess at being 37 yrs old,I've changed my tune from years ago,but I have seen street racing accidents also.The average Joe doesn't understand racing and when he sees it on the street,he can't correlate to organized drag racing(NHRA,IHRA)and we all end up with a black eye.Just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited August 27, 1999).]
Old 08-28-1999, 07:02 AM
Inactive User

Well a few weeks back, I got my truck done 1996 Indyram w/a few mods. Was sitting at the last stop light before the open highway. Starring at a long open stretch of road, just so happened a punk kid and his girlfriend pulled up in a late 90's newstyle Mustang GT. He rolled down his window and started talking crap about me driving grandpa's truck and his girlfriend thought that was real funny. So I said, well if you think your so hot in grandma's grocery getter, then lets go to it! With that he revved his flowmastered POS as hard as she'd go while I set conservately at 1800rpm ready for green. The light went and immediately I was in tire spin but that only lasted for a few feet then I pulled up even with him, and by 40mph I was in front and it stretched out to a car(truck) length by 60, and then it was all over from there as the big Dodge really started to make some power. By 110 he was starting to come back a bit(just to much front end air pressure on the Ram) but he backed off at a little past 110 and it was good thing too, cause I was only a couple MPH before the darn speed limiter got me. I pulled into the gas station to turn around and head back into town and he followed me in and came out with an attitude like I did something wrong and he was gonna kick my butt for it. All I said was "its not my fault your mouth runs faster than your car!" With that I drove back in town to brag about what I had done and wave at him each time he cruised by. Only non Mopar car besides a 98 Firebird formula that i have raced in the Ram. Sorry to report the big Dodge couldn't quite handle that one. I have beat a few R/T Dakota's too but we don't wanna discuss that here.
Later,
Nick
Old 08-28-1999, 07:08 AM
Inactive User

Oh, and I did forget one. For the guy who posted elsewhere on this site that the Dodges couldn't run with the 6.0l Chebby and the Ford 5.whatever.......YES they can!!! I took one pretty easily a few days ago. I kinda felt bad about it, cause it was a young kid that must have just gotten it, and he looked real sad when he pulled back up beside me at the next light. Its fun beating them but its painful to see guys like that have to suffer. I sometimes wish I could hand them the keys to a real truck and send them on there way. And a buddy of mine with an Indyram that has an ATI Supercharger, smoked a new Ford lightning. I suspect that guy was very disapointed. His cost more, was slower, and didn't look nearly as nice, talk about getting the short end of the stick! HA!

[This message has been edited by ncarnes (edited August 28, 1999).]
Old 08-28-1999, 08:17 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Summer of '95, I'm washing my '91 W150 in the lane, and a buddy from work shows up in a brand new Ram 3500 2wd regular cab dually. This guy is chebby to the core. He has a salesman with him. Get in, tell me what you think. Minutes later were on the airport road, a less traveled highway, were chatting, were cruising kind of fast. I look over and were doing 200 KPH, thats 125 MPH in english. He's got one eye in the drivers mirror so I turn to see a 5.0 mustang pulling out to pass. Larry plants the pedal the rest of the way down, and after about a half a mile the mustang is in tow, and losing ground as this V10 is not showing any signs of being near the end of it's rope. I wasn't real happy about the excessive speed from a passengers point of view, although it was impressive to see that kind of top end pull at that speed. Salesman sat there and never said a word, took Larry aside when we got back to the dealer and had him in a 4X4 Ram an hour later, he still has it.
Old 08-28-1999, 10:30 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Back in the summer of '69 I was fresh out of the Army doing my best to let my '69 Road Runner iron the kinks of 18 months in 'Nam out of my mind. I was cruising west on Richfield Road (near Flint, Michigan) from State Hwy 15 on a balmy Sunday afternoon on my way to sunday supper with the family of the young lady I had started dating about 3 weeks earlier. As I pull up to the stop sign in this little wide-spot-in-the-road town called Russleville this kid in a Red Nova SS pulls up next to me. This thing has foot long rear spring shackle extensions, headers with 'glass packs hung off of the collectors, but sounds pretty much stock. I guess the look I gave this squirrel gave away what I thought of him and his ride. So he blips the throttle a couple of times trying to get my attention and I give him the universal sign language no-nonsence sign of refusal. Must have hurt his feelings 'cause he winds that thing up to about 6 grand and dumps the clutch. This turd is all over the road showing me his version of a great hole shot. I shine him on and do my thing. A half mile or so down the road is this little Mom and Pop country store that I plan on stopping at for some smokes. As I come out of this store here sits this kid in his Nova with another kid riding shotgun and he starts giving me a lot of mouth about how he did not like me or my 'Runner. Big deal I tell him. He acts like he wants to get REAL stupid when this old dude that runs the store comes out the door. He tells this kid to shut his yap, and if he wants to prove how bad his Nova is to put $50.00 against my $50.00 and line 'em up out front of the store. I look at him like he has just landed from Mars and he gives me a wink and a smile. Says that just to make sure it all stays fair, he and Brother Rueger will hold the money. So we agree to race down to this little farm house about an eighth mile or so back to the east. Grandpa even acts as flag man!!! Brothers and sisters, this was so pathetic it still gives me a laugh. The kid revs his Nova to the point where I swear the pistons are swapping bores and I just lay the tack on 3 grand. Grandpa flags us and away we, or rather I, go. Jr. is fishtailing all over the place and I'm gone. Probley got 4 cars on him out of the gate and at least one more at each gear change. So, we get turned around and go back to the store and I collect my $100.00 and prepare to go on my merry way. Jr. is fuming, claiming all sorts of cheating and gun jumping and how he is going to whip my tail all over the parking lot. Kids all mouth and no action and we both know it, he's just trying to save face in front of his rider. With all that being said and done he leaves, tires smoking. Grandpa and I watch him as he is heading west and I'm wondering if he is going to try something stupid down the road when he goes for 3rd gear and misses the shift. Stupid kid does not get off the throttle quick enough and before God and country he pukes the basement out of that 350. Seriously, I could actually see a chunk of either block or connecting rod hit the pavement and bounce off of the undercarriage. Grandpa and I bust a gut laughing and I get in the 'Runner and cruise on by this kid and give him a big smile and a little beep-beep on the horn along with a big wave. I'm late for supper and I like my groceries. So, I get to the girlfriends house and we have a great time with her folks. A good day and evening all around. But.....theres always a but, the next day when I get home from work I get a call from girlfriend. Seems the squirrell was her cousin and her Dad was not impressed and forbid her to see me anymore. Seems that she was younger than I thought and I was older than she had told her dad I was. Ya wins a few and ya looses a few. The old hippie hisself
Old 08-30-1999, 10:22 PM
MoparChat Support Staff

Thumbs up

Hey Old Hippie, that really is a great story!!

Please do stay around and continue to share your experiences with us!
Old 08-31-1999, 03:39 AM
Inactive User

Wink

This is a real loose "victory".....

Came across a new 99 Lightning that apparantly was on a test drive from a dealer. The "salesman" was driving to a point where the "customer" could take over (I guess). We were at a light where the salesman I suppose wanted to show the "stupendous off the line performance". I was eager to please knowing my chances were slim. The thought the Lightings were only available in automatics, but it looked like the driver was putting it in gear. Well light turned green and the Lightning lurched and stalled and I went off thinking "No sale". I went on my merry way to the store and on the way back found the Lightning still where I left it with a tow truck hooked to the front (I guess that's part of the option package). With the Lightning picked up in front I noticed the driveshaft was dangling from the transmission. Better send that one back to the factory!!
Old 08-31-1999, 05:59 AM
Inactive User

Exclamation

What!!! They have a factory? The way they "rent" them to people I thought they just kept re-cycling them.
Old 09-01-1999, 01:05 AM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

hello fellow mopar lovers, i have a good one yo tell you it was with my 96 Dakota 318 3.90 sure grip i was going to the drags one sunday and on the way up im on the pike cruzin about 80 mph this bright yellow mustang comes up in my rear view and goes screamin by im like screw that no ford is going to do that to me so i hammered the pedal down and catching up to him i looked down and was doing 110mph!!! he looked at mw as we were neck to neck and we both stomped on it again i pulled ahead of him a couple of truck lengths he was pissed he was flashing his lights and let off guess he was afraid his poor stang would blow up but not me that little DAK real went awesome!! unfortunately had to give it up cause in the state of maine we get snow and i couldnt move in a 1/2 inch of snow less dry pavement....
Old 09-03-1999, 05:59 PM
Inactive User

Let's hear it for the "ole Hippster hisself."
You really know how to word a good old war story. You should go into the writting field and forget that software job of yours. That is a great story and funny too.
Now Christopher, you said you had what under the hood. And it was supercharged too! A buck 37 in a pick up! You guys are as crazy as a few rice rocket riders I've known! But I luv it. I hope this topic becomes a big hit.
Do you guys ever get that rush as you're reading or telling a story like this, that you actually turn back time for the few moments while you're tellig or reading? Man, I was just 21 again a few moments ago!
So if Christopher was doing a buck 37 in a truck, I wonder how fast I was really going in that 426 Fury!

Richard ;-)
Old 09-03-1999, 11:33 PM
Inactive User

The Little Red Express was DEAD STOCK.360/727 3.55 rear.Now it was getting real light in the steering wheel,and the back of the hood had popped up and the wipers were straining at 137.I'll be honest,I thought the FHP trooper was pulling my leg.I was working as a line mechanic at the Plymouth dealer at the time when I worked on his wife's 5th ave.I saw him in a greasy spoon where we'd all gather and have breakfast twice a month,and the trooper was there also.I asked him about the speed being bogus,he told me the radar unit had been checked the following Monday as he didn't belive it either,and it was accurate,and he said the speed was true.I have to belive this,as I used to drag race this truck and it would run 89mph in the 1/4,and the speedo needle was always past 85 in the mph lights.Now the 137 was after I ran,and I'm guessing,1/2 to 3/4 of a mile.I really wish I never sold that truck. As a side note,the story the Hippie hisself told was very neat,I really liked it as it reminded me of when my Dad went on a test drive in the Road Runner that I have now,purchased new in 1970.I'll have to ask him to tell me the whole story as I don't remember all of it.

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited September 03, 1999).]
Old 09-04-1999, 01:32 AM
Inactive User

Wink

I believe you Christopher, the Lil Red was the fastest factory hotrod of it's day.

[This message has been edited by Brian Mills (edited September 04, 1999).]
Old 09-04-1999, 05:51 PM
Mopars win..others whine

I did a lot of street racing back in the mid 70's with my 72 340 RR. I did not lose that many races but there was this one victory that really stands out. Me and my fellow co-workers were playing volleyball out of town against the workers of another restaurant. We had finished playing and as we were fixing to leave, this 70 Chevelle SS with a punched out 454 pulls up. This car is very well prepaired. It has the widest Mickey Thompsons I have ever seen, and the first time I have ever seen ladder bars in person. The car was beautiful with the headers coming out the side and going down to the rear tires.The front end is lifted up so the deep sump oil pan does not hit the pavement. I was impressed. Then one of the four people gets out and comes over to us and askes us if we wanted to race the SS Camaro belonging to my co-worker against his friend's SS. Well that co-worker of mine just said "no, but that Road Runner will". Do what!!! Now I am still starring at this Chevelle when I hear this. I am up to any challenge when it comes, but I tell my co-worker to look at that SS one more time and see if he can make that statement again. He tells me "no problem". I have seen trouble happen when friends and co-workers tell you to "go for it" before, and most of them did not have a happy ending. Any way, while we were discussing this, the fellow that asked us was checking out my car. He saw that it was a 340 and yelled back to the SS that it was a small block and was not worth their time. OOPS... That was not what I wanted to hear. Then I said "name the place". Well with a few "Yippees and allrights" we jumped in our cars and followed them to this long and dark road somewhere near Almeda Mall in South Houston. Every one went to where the finish line is supposed to be and we stayed at the starting line. One of the guys in the SS got out with the hanky and that is when I got nervous. How was I going to explain the loss to my buds. Heck just looking at that SS was good enough for an excuse. Any way all I could hear was that 454 reving up and me with out a tach had no clue as to what RPM's I was turning. I did not want much because all I had was these 70 series Daytonas and an auto with a slap stick. The next thing I know is the hanky is down and off we go. I left way before he did cause he was burning rubber big time. I do not think I churped a tire, but at this point it did not matter, I was in the lead!!! It wasn't over yet, I could hear him coming up strong cause he was churrping his tires with every shift and the engine singing with all those rpm's. We crossed the finish line with me in front by about 3/4 of a length. Yeeeehawww!!!! As I was approaching the finish line, I could see my buds jumping for joy. Man what a race! When I got back to the finish line we all were jumping with elation of that victory. The SS pulled up and asked if we wanted to make it 2 out 3, and all we said was "no thank you once was enough". Thats when they had to look under the hood of my car, there was no way that a SB could win. I lifted the hood and there it sat, a factory 340 with all the oil and dirt you get when you do not wash your engine. I did mention that it had duals though and that was about it. Man were they mad, they just got in their car and left,loudly. We just all packed it in and went back home and celebrated. Needless to say that was quite a few years ago and several Mopars owned since then. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share this with ya'll and now I do all my racing at the strip at Houston raceway park when I get the chance. Take care
Old 09-05-1999, 03:57 PM
Inactive User

There aren't too many mopar lovers around where I live. Most of my friends have 5.slow bustangs. I'm the lone mopar guy. They all made fun of me when I bought my 87 gran fury roadster. They had no idea what i had planned. It only sat 1 day before i had ripped out that tired 318 and started my project. It was the longest three months of my life waiting for this car to be finished. I wanted to embarrass the hell out of my mustang buddies. It got trw flat tops(9.5-1), hughes hydraulic roller,mild porting,nothing crazy. It was backed by a 727, going to an 8 3/4 with 3.91 sure grip,and moser axels. The day finally came for me to race my friend with the fastest mustang(his idea of fast was 14.59@94). you should have heard the laughs when they saw that boat with the shiney new chrome curb feelers on it. I was loving it. well my buddy felt it was necesary to do a long top fuel burnout past my car then smoke them up in reverse as well. Needless to say he got killed off the line, a full car length by second gear, it pulled even more on top. Boy was he pissed getting beat by that heavy grandma car. he didnt talk to me for a week. guess thats the last time he'll pick on a mopar. It still hasnt been to the track, but i hope to take it soon. I'm hoping for high 13's out of this comfy daily driver.
Old 09-09-1999, 03:27 AM
Inactive User

This is sorta a win - lose - win story....

This past weekend on vacation I was in San Diego. On a three lane city street I was behind a 99 Sport Red Quad Cab and a 99 Silverado Extended Cab next to him....

They exchanged words (windows down w/hand gestures) and when the light turned green there off.....

Not even close...Silverado whipped the 99 Sport...

Next light the're side by side again, but this time I'm in the third lane...there exchanging compliments again (yeah, right) when I honk indicating that I wish to display my good sportsmanship when the light turns green (I wanna race too).

Lights green, tires smokin', shifting manually, going up to redline....and a sweet victory (but the 99 Sport came in third).

Found out that the 99 Sport is a 5.2 and the Shovie is a 6.0!

Dodge 1 Shovie 1