Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:54 AM
Inactive User

Default Mustang goes's Down

Here's one for you. Back in the late 60's I saw a 62 Plymouth 2 Dr Savoy for sale. It had a recent paint job, Dark Green, did it for me. It had a drivetrain problem, can't remember what, but I got it for about $300-$400. Short time later I picked up a 63 Chrysler SW that needed all new brakes and the owner couldn't afford to repair it. So now I had a 62 Savoy and a good running 413 drive train. I believe it was a straight drop in as I recall, because I didn't have much $$$ to play with. Only problem I had was with the "First" driveshaft. Didn't get the length right. That was a Scary Night !!! One thing I remember was the push button shifter The Savoy was a standard so I had a sheet metal tunnel made that I mounted on the floor with the push buttons in it. Anyways when I got the bugs worked out, that was a "Pretty Fast Car" around town. The 62 Savoy is the Lightest B-Body made and the 413 was Good for 300+ Horsepower. Everything Stock was a Good Combo. So this guy with a Red 65 Mustang, 289, Dual fours, 4-speed, 271 Horsepower happens to cross paths so to speak and we end on a road that was marked out for a drag strip. We had 3-4 strips around so we could keep a step ahead of the "Fuzz" and generally we never had problems. We used to race best 2 out of 3 would settle who had the fastest car. This night we raced 3 time's and the Savoy won all three times by 6 car lengths. This guy was so upset that he insised we go again, He finally concede defeat when he was beat 6 time's by 6 car lenghs. If you are wondering what happened to to Savoy, many "Good Time's" were had, but one Ugly Night in a Big Wind storm a 4ft. diameter Cottonwood tree blew down and landed on the roof and "Broke it's Back" The End. Flash forward a few years actually 4 years ago. We were driving down this road to see our New Black Lab Puppy that had been born a week earlier at a local kennel that breeds what else, "Black Labs" At that time I was hotrodding a "California" 67 notchback Barracuda and I looked over at a Car shop next to the kennel. My wife spotted me looking over at another Barracuda notchback on the yard and said You don't need any more cars!!! Thing is, She didn't notice the 62 Plymouth Savoy sitting behind the Barracuda. It was an old race car "Roller" It had a good body and a full roll cage. So now it sits up on blocks in my garage getting a ground up "ReDo" that I could'nt afford way back when. Scraped and sand blasted in my garage, "What a Mess" New PST Front end, 11 3/4" disk brakes 8 3/4 rearend with 4.10 gears, Dana "Power Lok" Suregrip, 440 with dual 500 cfm Carter Comp Carbs, Progressive linkage, Competition rebuilt 727, Higher stall converter, Hurst Pistol Quarter Shifter, Custom dash inset made by me with All Autometer Guages, 2 RCI bucket seats, I changed the rollcage by installing "Comp Engineering" swingout bars to make it easier for a "old guy" to get into. 16 Gal RCI Fuel cell, Carter Electric fuel pump, Powerflow Fuel Filter, Trunk Mounted Battery ect,ect. Lots left to do!!! Hope you enjoyed my story. Jack
Old 01-20-2007, 03:51 AM
Inactive User

Nice story jack, sounds like its gonna be better then the last rustang killer you had. How about some pics of the project.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

I have Loads of pic's, but Sad to say, my computer skills are still in the 60's. I tried to add some pic's but they were "Too Big" and I don't know how to make them smaller. Help !!! "Update" this time it Worked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Instrument Panel.JPG (93.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 PM

I love those cars, I was born in '54 so they were "new" cars when I was young and by the time I figured out what was what those were the ones wiping out everybody at the track. The 62's, 63's and 65's are my faves.

The latest versions of windows should have microsoft picture manager. It can re-size and crop photos. Just go slow and save-save-save your work along the way under new file names so you don't wipe out the original files......I would love to see your project car!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Inactive User

Love them or Hate them, they are "Unique" I have not had much luck posting Pics. here. Most of them are too Large, and when I reduce the size they are not worth looking at. If you like the 62-65 Mopars, There is a Really Good Site called "The 1962 To 1965 Mopar Web Site" There are Hundreds of cars and Tech articles like you would not believe. I submitted a couple of pics. back on April 25 -04. But I haven't kept up with it. If you want a look, go to http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-liable62.html You can check out "What's New" and it will show everything from 1998 to Present. I think I will update my site there, as it has No size restrictions and they don't chuck your material out, like some do.