Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Inactive User

Default '68 Coronet on Indiana turnpike

My Coronet 500 was hemi orange and black--looked a lot like a Superbee and everyone assumed it was a hemi, or at least a big block. Nope. 318 2bbl.

By the time of this story I had a 4bbl AFB on a junkyard iron intake, Cyclone headers and dual exhaust with turbo mufflers, Fenton mags with 60s, but otherwise was bone-stock. Rear was a 1-legger...about 3:23 I'd guess.

So my big brother and me motorvate to Warsaw, Indiana one weekend, to check out some B-Body muscle at a car lot (Superbirds and Daytonas were going for $25,000, which seemed ridiculous at the time-1988). The salesman must have said "it's a numbers-matching vehicle" a dozen times, assuming it would impress me. Then he asked about my car (it was pretty and inspired lots of "how much you want for it?" inquiries). I told him what it was and you should have seen his lip curl in disgust. I not only replaced the original factory air in the tires...I replaced the tires, too! And I replaced the factory oil (several times, in fact) with Valvoline. Omigod--headers??????? STOP THE SLAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, on the trip there, I averaged my usual 80-90 mph, which made my brother nervous: According to him, I wasn't attentive enough at anticipating speed traps and so forth. So I let him drive on the return trip, assuming that he'd drive more carefully, or at least not be nervous.

Urp, gotta go. I'll continue this later.