Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
Inactive User

Default Sleeper Stories?

Anyone have sleeper stories?

My first new car was a 74 Buick Apollo 4-door--essentially a "plain jane" with no distinguishing markings. Under the hood, however, there was a 350 V-8. The car was pretty light as well. Every once in a while some guy with a true muscle car would give me ribbing about my granny car. A few of them were surprized when I gave them a hell of run.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Inactive User

A properly optioned Jeep Cherokee can be like that, especially the early 90's model with the High Output 4.0l in the lighter, pre-airbag, non-ABS models with out without 4wd (preferably with the full time 242 case if it's a 4wd model )
Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley View Post
A properly optioned Jeep Cherokee can be like that, especially the early 90's model with the High Output 4.0l in the lighter, pre-airbag, non-ABS models with out without 4wd (preferably with the full time 242 case if it's a 4wd model )
I had a '91 plan jane Jeep Cherokee 2wd 4.0L and 5spd. The whole thing weighed less than 3000lbs.
I wouldn't say it was super fast but the power (195hp) to weight ratio made it a blast to drive. Considered seriously adding a turbocharger and 4:10 gear and drag racing it. It wasn't worth anything at 210K mile strippo vehicle.
That would be something you don't see every day
Wife was against it. I had purchased a Grand Cherokee that was more roomy and it made the old Cherokee a unneeded vehicle. Sold it to a guy for $1000.
I heard he hot rodded it like crazy and eventually wrapped it around a telephone pole. Idiot.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Inactive User

Best "sleeper" I owned was a 71 Dart Swinger. By 1974 it was a Hemi car. Hemi. 833, and Dana 60 all donated from my '68 RR.
Built it right, though. Followed the specs from Hurst's build up for the Hemi Darts and Cudas in '68. Not cheap though. Tied subs, fully gusseted, mini-tubbed, and reinforced.
The idea was for it to still look like a grocery getter when done. Couldn't hid the oil pan, fender well exhaust collectors, duals, and exhaust note, though.
Still, to most people it still looked like a granny car.
I did maintain the PS and A/C in the Swinger, and all the body panels and bumpers remained steel. It was a street car.

I sold it in July of 86 prior to moving from Jersey to Georgia, to a guy who made it a full on track car.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM

Biggrin

My sleeper was a 1955 Studebaker Champion coupe that I yanked the I-6 out of and stuffed in a 345 CI Olds Rocket V8 with three deuces and a "3/4" cam. (you young guys probably aren't familiar with that term.)

It also had a '37 Cad-Lasalle side shift that we pulled out of an old Caddy we found in a field in southern Indiana. A Fenton shifter topped that off. A '57 Studebaker Hawk third member was necessary to keep from splattering spider gears all over the street. The exhaust pipes and mufflers came out of a junked Plymouth State Police Car.

I built the car over the summer period between my first and second year of college. It was a butt ugly brute that had lots of neat stuff in it that made it go fast. I used to go 'Vette hunting at stoplights. I was never beaten on the street, but never took it to the strip because it would never pass any kind of safety inspection. Bailing wire, rope, tape and a buddy who didn't mind pushing it off the road when it crapped out were absolutely necessary.

I had a good time with that car, but got tired of fixing it. I finally sold it to some doofus who let it sit out all winter without anti-freeze. The motor was junk.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Inactive User

My Turbo Caravan with IC and exhaust mods looks like a granny shuttle, but has surprised it's share of stock Rustangs and Crapmaros. :-)PCRMike
Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Inactive User

Couple of fun ones... a '73 el Camino Estate, butterscotch, woodgrain, and a saddle tan vinyl roof, full hub caps, and a 454, turbo 400 and 3.73 gears... twas fun, almost as much as a short wheel base Dodge conversion van, 440, 727. THAT surprised a lot of people, and would give you the willies if you were sitting in the back when it was nailed, and all you could see thru the windshield was blue sky
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Inactive User

g,day to ya all from australia. where chryslers are un-beatable in performance.sly 318
Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Inactive User

Ya know, I can't believe I forgot the '56 Ford pick up that's on my gallery page. When I first met my ex, I was taking her home one nite/morning, and when I pulled in her drive, I said nice truck... she said, it's got a hemi in it. 3 am, out in the middle of nowhere, on top of a mountain in southern Ohio... what do I do? I jump out, pop the hood, and freak. Yeppers Hemi. Tis a 354, he'd had the truck for over 10 years then (1975). Black, primer spots, aluminum slots with All terrain tires, and Ohio Farm truck tags. No one ever expected anything when I got to drive it to town, and no one ever lost the shocked look on their face when they caught up or opened the hood and saw what was there. He still has it, the pics are year before last, when I finally kept my promise to him and re-did the truck.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparf...p?do=big&p=513
Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 AM

i'm a youngan, but a couple summers ago, a buddy of mine came across a dakota r/t 5.9 liter, we swapped it to a 4bbl carb, single plane intake, stock bottom end, bigger cam, msd ignition, NOS plate kit think we started out with a 125 shot, kept adding bigger and bigger, put quiet exhaust, v6 emblems, and the truck was kinda scratched up, few dents, looked like a pos with centerline wheels on it, we added drag shocks and a few other goodies to the suspension, drag radials, blew up the orginal bottom end from the nos, but between my dad's junkyard, and a few other junkyards around we still managed to find a couple running magnum 360s we'd swap her out, put the good top end on it, spray the house down, burn a piston, swap out another one, and you would have just loved to seen the looks on the guy in town that thought he was hot stuff with his supercharged rustang, when he got whipped at the redlight by this pos dodge dakota, camaros, firebirds, few of them riceburners, we eventually ended up with a bottom end with speedpro forged pistons, with alot of nitrous, replaced the dented fenders and door, had it primered, ready for paint, he ended up selling the truck for a low price, at a time i was broke and couldn;t afford to buy it, aint that how it usually happens!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Inactive User

I had a 1977 Suburban ......... 2 wheel drive with a 454 and turbo 400.
3.73 cog.
It was a pure hammer wagon , but we had a ton of fun in it.
I was out with a buddy driving to the saloon and we pulled up next to a guy with his girlfriend in his early 80's trans am.
The muffler was rotted out on the suburban and I was just goofing when I revved it at the stop light.
He took it personal.
When we got the green , he launched it hard and I waxed him pretty good.............for the next three stop lights.
He finally turned and slunk away with his tail between his legs.
Man............we laughed like fools for the next couple miles.
But that old tub would haul the mail for what it was.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Inactive User

I'm going the sleeper route with my current '64 Dodge Polara 4dr sedan. It looks like a big white major appliance until you open the hood. It's still a 318 poly but the 2X4's , headers, etc., kinda give it away then. It's a billboard under the hood. It weighs right at 4000lbs but is running better every time. I managed to beat my stepson's 'Stang Cobra three times :-) I have some major changes hopefully scheduled soon which should really bring it to life. I also discovered and repaired a major fuel delivery problem which I think was limiting my top end. The issue was a big rag wrapped around the pick-up filter. It held water like a cup!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pick-ups 005.jpg (45.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 9-22-2006-05.jpg (109.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 9-22-2006-16.jpg (82.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 9-22-2006-18.jpg (91.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Inactive User

Looks like my dad's 301 poly drag motor, but his had 4-2-bbl webers on a handfabbed mani. Nice Piece, Rich!

Notice the mouse motor heads next to the ported polys. No comparison!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Inactive User

Rich , That is one fine looking machine.
Not a ton of folks doing the Poly's these days , but you sure did it right.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Inactive User

Thanks guys. That race poly is sweet! I've been wanting to make a high rise manifold sometime. Unfortunately I don't have a welder now. It'll kinda kill the sleeper effect too if the carbs are sticking out the hood :-)
Old 03-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Inactive User

Remember, dad did his in 1964!

I would love to have one like yours.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Inactive User

Must've been a ricer trying to post. LOL!

Quote:
这是新加的空白文章1,可以在ubb可视化编辑器中,添加和修改文章内容。
Old 04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Inactive User

Had a 70 Ranchero when I was 17.The PO put a 429 out of his grandmothers wrecked Mercury Monterey in it.Bone stock with a Motorcraft 4 bbl and flex pipe duals!Bias ply snow tires and if you pulled on me god help you for the tire smoke!!!!!!!