Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-03-2001, 10:34 AM
Inactive User

Question

My friend just bought this Z28 and thinks its the fastest car. And thinks he can dust me like there is no tomorrow. It is stock from what I can see, never really seen it up close. It is a 5spd and isn't new. Its the model right before the recent model. So it is probably like 94-96 or somthing like that. My truck has K&N Gen II intake, tornado air, and soon to come probably tomorrow stillen roll pan with flowmaster dual exhaust. I'm just wondering how bad will I lose or will I lose at all. I know he does know how to shift pretty good not great. I'm thinking my biggest advantage is my limited slip. I don't know if his car has limited slip or not since its and older year. And help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-03-2001, 11:02 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

My best guess for a stock 95 Z28 with pro driver would be a 14.4 to 14.8 at sea level. I want to emphasize that is with a very good driver! Hope it helps, Go get him!
Old 05-03-2001, 04:38 PM
Inactive User

uhhhh sorry guys, but i have run a 14.23 in my friends 1995, 6 speed, firebird. Completely stock, radial tires were pretty much slicks (i wonder why????). also the old style camaro is pre '93, you should be able to take it.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:17 PM
Junior Member/Chevy Geek

Being a former owner of a 1999 Z-28 6-speed with some slight mods to it, I might be able help on this one. If he has a stock 95-96 Z-28 5-speed (put out @ 275hp) and can't shift very well yet, you should be able to make it a close race depending on your truck mods and so forth.

Mostly, it comes down to driver vs driver. Good luck, it looks like a good race. My gut says you will take him.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:57 PM
Inactive User

You're most likely dealing with a later model LT1 rated at 285hp. My advice would be to make sure you hook up strong from the line and get the jump on him. If not, he will likely beat you. These cars are low 14s easy with a few in the high 13s. I've raced one guy with a six speed 285hp Z28 in my automatic '99 GT and ran even with him the first try and beat him on the second run by a 1 1/2 car lengths.
With a 3.92 in your R/T and plenty o' torque, you'll surprise him with a quick reaction. If he's really good or you spin, you might be in trouble. Good luck. I'm pullin' for the R/T!
Old 05-04-2001, 12:58 AM
Don't buy no ugly Phord

Default Those suvckers are all over the board.....

You can expect anywhere from from a low 14 to a low 15 from them depending on tranny, rear gears, and what day it was made. I've seen some that can't break out of the 14s with a load of mods, and some that run the 13s with a couple simple bolt-ons. the only ones capable of 13s stock are those from SLP, the 96-97 SLP WS6 and SLP SSs. I raced one LT1 when the R/T was stock and we were dead even, he won 2, I won 2. Now with a few good bolt-ons there is a white Z I've ran across twice, I'm 3 to one, but for the most part neither of us can pull on one another, except tonight when the I held in it through a sweeping curve and she backed out and got back on it, after her 1 car length headstart BTW I couldn't make up (she couldn't pull either), but when we neared the curve she backed out just long enough for me to get 2 cars (like I said, I stayed in it, never mind the speed ) and she couldn't pull back in it. I also raced a 00 auto GT and killed it prety good, so the white Z would rip it a new one, while that GT would have killed the one I raced stock (it was red i do believe). Getting headers and high flow cat tomorrow, should make her a distant memory

Brian
Old 05-04-2001, 11:14 AM

I had a 1999 Ram 1500 QC 360 with 3.55 gears and I used to be able to put a car and a half on those 96/7/8 Z-28's that they could not make up until about 60mph or so. That was with a just a K&N Intake for mods. After I put the Jet chip in and Gibson exhaust I could pull them even more out of the hole and fend them off until the top of my second gear. If your friend likes to spin the tires he probably won't be able to catch you until the end of a 1/4 mile assuming your truck hooks up. They come on a lot stronger in the higher gears than your truck will, it's just a power to weight thing.
Old 05-06-2001, 04:50 AM
Read : Untouchable

Default gotta love those chevies

i find i get the best rush out of beating those firebirds and camaros. the guys who buy them, buy them because they are todays version of performance, computer equipped and all. the day i find a new camaro or firebird that has less than 25000 dollars in it including initial cost that can beat any one of my cars is the day i go and buy a new camaro.
i have a combined 11000 dollars in all 3 of my cars, and a combined horsepower rating of probably 1200.
600 in the satellite, 350 in the cuda, 250 in the dart
yeah, yay for new technology!

stupid chevy guys =)
Old 05-07-2001, 08:47 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin

Thanks for all the replys. I did race him and had about half a car length on him. But I know he would have beat me if he had the supercharger hooked up. My friend had just bought the car used and somebody had put a vortec supercharger on it. And it wasn't a 5spd it was an auto. So I think that helped me alot too. Thanks again for all the replys. He says he will dust me once he hooks up the supercharger but I told him I race him again once I get my nitrous.