Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-01-2001, 01:33 AM
Inactive User

Biggrin Sucked The Paint Off An Lt4 Trans Am

MY BUDDY FROM WORK BOUGHT A 99 TRANS AM, AUTO LT4. IT IS REAL STRONG OFF THE LINE, BUT THAT LEAD SLED IS TOO HEAVY TO RUN ANY REAL NUMBERS. I CAN'T DENY IT HAS TORQUE, IT DOES. BUT A CAT DIESEL IN A SEMI HAS TORQUE ALSO!

ANYWAY, NOTHING BIG. WE PLANNED TO RACE HOME FROM WORK AND DID.
IT WENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS:
HE JUMPED ME OFF THE LINE, CAUGHT HIM AT 25 MPH AND WALKED ON BY. FINISHED LIKE, 10 MILES IN FRONT OF HIM OR SOMETHING. I DON'T KNOW, DIDN'T HAVE MY MEASURING TAPE HANDY BUT TRUST ME, I SPANKED THAT ASS. A CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE HAD ROOM TO PASS IN BETWEEN US.

HE IS PISSED, HE IS PAYING $18,500 FOR HIS NEW/OLD CAR. I BOUGHT MINE TWO YEARS AGO FOR $2,000 IN FAIR SHAPE. I HAVE SPENT JUST UNDER $10,000 ALL TOGETHER SINCE THEN. SHE RUN'S CONSISTENT 12'S ON PUMP GAS. (93 OCT)

I KNOW THERE IS TONS OF FASTER CARS, BUT MINE DOES ME RIGHT, I LIKE IT.

OH YEAH, MY FRIEND SAID HE LOST BECAUSE OF HIS 160LBS PASSENGER. SAD HUH?
Old 10-01-2001, 12:21 PM

Using the Carnival Cruise Lines Ship as a reference, that 160lb passenger accounts for about one lifeboat length in the win margin! Good job on your Daytona, sounds like a fun ride ...
Old 10-01-2001, 09:39 PM
Inactive User

Well, I don't know what that Firebird has under the hood, but I guarantee you it isn't a LT4, as the '98 and up V8 Camaros and Firebirds have the LS1 engines.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:25 PM
Inactive User

Default I gotta agree with bruizer. . .

Not to dispute or say it wasn't a killin 'cause it was, but they don't do the LTx thingy anymore. Only LS1 and LS6. The LSx line of engines are actually better than the LTx motors though. Good kill
Old 10-02-2001, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin didn't know

IT'S THE RAM AIR FIREBIRD, HE SAID IT WAS AN LT4. I REALLY DON'T KNOW. I DON'T FOLLOW THE GM OR FORD SCENE TOO HARD!

ALL I KNOW IS IT SAYS 5.7L ON THE EMISSIONS STICKER UNDER THE HOOD AND THAT I SMOKED IT. HE WAS PISSED. HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW A 135 CUBIC INCH MILL COULD DEFEAT AN ALMIGHTY GM SMALLBLOCK. OH WELL.

HE ALSO GOT BEAT BY A HONDA DEL SOL VTEC. HE WANTS TO GET A RICER NOW. HE SAID HE WOULD RATHER HAVE A HONDA THAN A PIECE OF SHIT MOPAR TURBO. HIS LOSS I GUESS, MY P.O.S. IS QUICK AND STILL GETS 23MPG IN TOWN AND 31MPG ON THE HIGHWAY. IT'S ALSO PAID FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T BITCH ABOUT THAT.
Old 10-02-2001, 03:52 PM
Inactive User

A lot of the GM folks get madder than L when someone posts on their boards that a F-body was beat by a properly built and tuned 2.2 turbo. They get mad everytime sometime mentions the "mean mini", and posts the video of him whuppin' a F-body. I have a Shelby Charger and a Firebird Formula. Both are sleepers in different ways. People don't expect the Charger to run as good as it does, and the Formula is understated. I haven't had either at the track, but I know the GM F-bodies from '98 on can be in the twelves right off the show room floor. So, if there is a rematch, it could be even closer.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

Default I DISAGREE

THE FIREBIRD IS QUICK, BUT IT WILL NOT PULL A 12 SECOND 1/4 IN STOCK FORM! I KNOW YOU CAN GET ONE THERE WITH A LITTLE MONEY, BUT NOT STOCK. HE RAN THIS CAR AT THE LOCAL TRACK:
IT RAN A BEST OUT OF 3 RUNS AT 14.1 @ 102.2 MPH.

THE CAR HAS 29,000 MILES ON IT, IT HAS BEEN WELL CARED FOR.
I HAVE ANOTHER BUDDY WITH A 98 SS CAMARO WITH A FLOWMASTER EXHAUST, COLD AIR INDUCTION, AND A HYPER TECH CHIP WITH A MANUAL TRANS AND HIS BEST PASS IS 13.2 @ 105.8 MPH.

SO, NEEDLESS TO SAY, NO 12 SEC PASSES IN STOCK FORM. THAT'S JUST INCORRECT INFO. PLUS, THE FIREBIRD IS ONE HEAVY PIG.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:49 PM
Inactive User

I don't want to get into a flame war with you, but I guarantee you there are show room stock LS1 F-bodies that can hit the twelves. Just check out LS1.com and CamaroZ28.com and check the times. If that car is only getting a 14.1, then there is something wrong, as that is on the slow side for the LT1 cars that preceded the LS1. Plus, I belong to both the local Mopar club, and the local GM F-body club, and there are a couple club members who have turned 12 sec passes with a stock car. Just check around and you'll find out.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:06 PM

I know for a fact that a LS1 Camaro can hit the high 12's from the showroom. I had a 98 Z28 before I traded it in on the truck. I went 13.3 with only 700 miles on the clock. It was an auto with the 3.23 rear end. The thing dynoed at 294hp to the wheels stock. It was a badass car. The car that you raced, did it have a 2 big holes on the hood that ran from almost to the top of the hood to the bottom? If it did not have this it was a pre 98. Which would make it a LT1. The LS1 is far superior. I would beat Lt1's by at least 2-4 car lengths everytime. You have a nice car there, but that guy saying that he rather have a 4 banger to drag race then a V8 monster that is more dependable when you put alot of power to it. He should of never bought a V8 to begin with.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:13 PM
Inactive User

Cool THAT'S COOL

I DON'T MEAN TO PISS ANYONE OFF. I ONLY SAID I DISAGREE BECAUSE OF THE TWO PEOPLE THAT HAVE THIER CONFIRMED TRACK TIMES. (14.1 & 13.2)

MAYBE THEY ARE ONLY LT1'S. I ALREADY SAID THAT I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE GM PONY CARS. I'VE ONLY OWNED AND WORKED ON MOPARS. SO I APPOLOGIZE FOR SOUNDING LIKE A DICK GUYS, I JUST DIDN'T GET IT.

MAYBE HIS CAR IS ****** UP, ALTHOUGH IT RUNS SMOOTH AND HAS NO FAULT CODES. IS IT POSSIBLE IT HAS PUSSY GEARS IN THE REAR END? OH WELL, AT LEAST I BEAT HIM!!!! IT IS STILL A GOOD KILL FOR A ROUGH RUNNIN' TURBO 4 POPPER.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:11 AM
Inactive User

Mopars are my first love. I also have a '69 Road Runner, and the Firebird is the first GM car I've owned in over 30 years. Unfortunately, outside of the Viper, there are no modern performance cars that come from Chrysler. That's how I ended up in a Formula. I didn't want a Mustang, as they are the diet of the F-bodies. If a Mopar had been available, that would have been first on the list. I had to learn a lot about the modern GM small block engines and their performance potential as well. Most GM and Fomoco fans do not realize what can be achieved with the 2.2 turbo. And I just chuckle when I hear of the 2.2 chomping on a F-body or a Mustang. Wanna see a turbo LS1 going through it's paces? This fellow is also a member of the local club: www.ls1motorsports.com
Old 10-03-2001, 10:43 AM
Inactive User

Default quick

THAT LS1 IS A 3,800 POUND ROCKET! I DON'T CARE FOR GM, BUT NONE THE LESS, A 9 SEC CAR IS STRAIGHT IN MY BOOK.

MY FATHER HAS MANY MOPAR'S.
69 SATELLITE 440
71 340 TRI-POWER CUDA
84 DIPLOMAT 318 4 BBL POLICE MOTOR
85 OMNI GLH
86 SHELBY CHARGER
87 SHELBY Z DAYTONA T2
89 DAYTONA 2.5L N/A
92 4DR LeBARON
94 LeBARON J BODY 3.0L
96 PLYMOUTH VOYAGER

I OWN FOUR MYSELF. YOU ARE RIGHT THOUGH, THEY DON'T REALLY OFFER A PERFORMANCE CAR THESEDAYS. UNLESS YOU HAVE MONEY FOR A VIPER, YOU GOTTA BUILD A MOPAR UP IF YOU WANT TO RACE IT. THE TURBO MOTORS ARE GOOD FOR THIS, BUT I DON'T THINK IT WOULD BE TOO EASY TO GET ONE IN THE 9'S OR 10'S FOR THAT MATTER.
I'VE SPENT 2 YEARS, 10,000 DOLLARS, AND ABOUT A BILLION MAN HOURS TO GET A HEAVY G BODY IN THE 12'S.
SHE'S FAST THOUGH, IT'S REAL FUN TO DRIVE. PEOPLE SHIT WHEN THEY SEE A FRONT TIRE BOILING!

YEAH, I WANT TO RUN FASTER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S NEXT. MY DAD OWN'S A PERFORMANCE SHOP BACK HOME, SO ANYTHING I DECIDE TO DO I CAN USE HIS RESOURCES AND DO IT MYSELF.

THE LOCAL NEON CLUB HERE IS FAIRLY BRUTAL, I MET FOUR OF THEM AT TH TRACK. I SMOKED THREE AND GOT BURNED BY THE FOURTH. THIS NEON WAS A 98 DOHC, 5 SPD, 2DR, TURBO CHARGED AND BOTTLE FED. THIS CAR WAS INSANE. THE KID DIDN'T EVEN BUILD IT. A SHOP DID IT ALL FOR HIM. I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT MPH HE RAN, BUT HIS 1/4 MILE ET WAS 11.52!
NO B.S. MAN. THAT THING BLEW THE DOORS OFF MY OLD DAYTONA. NO BIGGY THOUGH, AT LEAST IT WAS A MOPAR. HE ALSO ATE UP A SALEEN SO IT'S ALL GOOD.

I WANT TO HIT HIGH 11'S, IT CAN BE DONE. I HAVE SEEN MID-ELEVEN TURBO CARS. UNFORTUNATLY, NONE OF THEM G BODYS.
I WANT TO AVOID NITROUS AND INTERCOOLING. I WANT A TRUE 11 SEC TURBO 1. JUST CAUSE THEY SAY IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!
Old 10-03-2001, 02:03 PM
Inactive User

I know there is at least one K-car running in the tens. There used to be a site that kept up with the 2.2 turbos, and I thought someone would be in the 9's by now using an Omni/Horizon/Charger body.

As far as the turbo LS1, he isn't close to being the fastest LS1 car. There are a handful of n/a cars running in the 8's. I think a couple of those cars are streetable, but they don't have to pass emissions tests.