Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-26-2003, 05:29 AM
Inactive User

GTX vs sleeper camaro/427 vett

Back in late 68, I bought a 69 GTX with a 440, 4 speed, air grabber and super track pack option (4.10 gears). Later on during 1969, I ran into an old freind that had a 69 camaro with a 427, 4 speed. It was a real sleeper with just the slightest hint of dual exhausts to give it away. We decided to try them out and much to his surprise, I kicked his ass by at least 3 to 4 lengths. The following week, I ran into him again only this time he was a passenger in his buddy's 69, 427 vette. He shouted out that I was very lucky blowing his doors off last week but it certainly wouldn't happen against the vette. I had a passenger in my car too, so it's not like I had an advantage. The vett took me out the chutes and held its edge all the way through second and halfway through third. But then I started to pull and by the time I banged fourth, I pulled slightly ahead, beating him by about a quarter of a length as we went through the markers. Boy was he pissed off. He was a big old boy named BUBBA (true name, beleive it or not). He yelled that if I ever told anyone about this that he would kick my ass. Yea, like that really scared me. He'd hafta catch me first and I already proved that THAT wasn't going to happen. I told everyone.
Old 05-28-2003, 02:58 AM
Moderator and HEMI FIEND

LOL
good one
I was in a 440 executive cuda(440 bilboards on it) that had just been restored, we were crusing the strip and a 1965 396 Vett(sweet car) revved on us...When a pretty woman asks you to dance...who are you to refuse?
Well the Vett ended up being the b!tch.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

SWEET!

A few years ago (nearly 30 infact) a couple of friends and I shoehorned a 68 Hemi into a 71 Dart Swinger. Needless to say, I couldn't wait to get to the local cruise with it.
I took many trophies (pink slips) home with it, but the best one was a 396 Camaro. The local Chevy star, if you get my drift.

We raced a measured quarter mile at Port Newark in Newark, NJ. When the race was done, I drove my Dart home, and my buddy drove the Camaro home...to my house!

I lost that Camaro in a race with a 440/6 Bbl GTX a month or so later.

I sold the Dart with the Hemi about 3 years later.

The best part about the Dart was that you couldn't tell that it had so much muscle. It was gold with a black vinyl roof and beige interior, with a bench seat.
Looking inside you could see the tach, and the stick from the 833. It also had a narrowed Dana 60 rear, tied sub frames, pinion snubber, and super stock rear springs.

the car was VERY FAST, and tracked very straight. What I wouldn't give to have it back again.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Inactive User

Hey Frank. Port Newark was pretty close to my old stompin grounds in Elizabeth, N.J. It was a little more than 30 years ago, closer to 33-34 when we used to drag race on East North Ave, the dump road that went down to Port Elizabeth. Ever cruise Broad Street in Elizabeth back Then? Many a light to light race was held there along with a 1/4 mile stretch of route 1 by the Bayway Refinery at the Elizabeth/Linden Border. I remember my first Mopar. Actually it was my dad's. It was a 60 Chrysler New Yorker with a 413 Golden Lion and pushputton transmission. A real pretty powder blue two door hardtop with all the options. It would blow the doors off all the local GTO's and Mustangs. Imagine that! A big Chrysler kicking ass like that. Really sold me on Mopars.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:18 AM
Inactive User

Wow! That's freaky!!! I remember fighting my way up North Ave a bunch of times. In 68, I had a 68 Hemi Roadrunner It was Yellow (it was also the doner of the Hemi I put into the Dart, and I wrecked it on the service road off of 1&9 in front of the Bud Brewery).
I remember racing up and down North Broad St. between Elizabeth and Hillside, too.
One night a friend and I spent about 20 minutes racing around the Bayway Circle in a Vw bug and a Pinto

A Chrysler New Yorker, huh? It wasn't an all white one was it. I remember a White NY'er sitting in the parking lot at the Chipery in Elizabeth with the prettiest brunette in the passanger seat. That wasn't yours was it?

Wow! Talk about flashbacks!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 02:41 PM
Inactive User

Hey Frank. What a small world. No the New Yorker wasn't white, it was powder blue. But in 68 is when I bought my 69 GTX. It was platinum mertallic with a black vinyl roof and sported Crager SS mags. The Bayway Circle? What the hell, were you crazy. My brorther had a 68 goat and he tried taking the circle at 50 mph. Guess what? He ended up trashing a tire and rim when he hit the inside of the circle. Most people probably don't know what we're talking about. If anyone ever saw Chevy Chase in European Vacation, they'll get a good idea of what the Bayway Circle was about. I haven't seen one of those death trap interchanges in a long while, none out here in California anyway.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Inactive User

I bought a used 69 GTX in late 1970, just after the 71's came out. The GTX was a 440/6Bbl, 833, with a Dana60. It was Root Beer brown (I don't remember the real name of the color). Black interior with buckets, but no console. I bought it with a little over 1600 miles on it. I sold it in 1986 with 36,000 miles on it . I think that was one of my bad moves.

I bought a new pick up, and a new van in '76, both were dodges, both had 318's and 727's. In 86 I bought another Dodge van with another 318. I sold it last year with 301,000+ miles on it to a friend who uses it daily, still.

I'm now working on a 72 Dart. I'm 53 now, and it's not as easy as it used to be. I just pulled the engine a few minutes ago, and I'm tired! Now it's time for the computer, a few Coors', and some classic star Trek reruns on the Sci-Fi channel!!!.

I can't believe what a small world it is. Two MoPar gear heads from Jersey 30+ years ago, now living in California and Georgia, and running into each other on a chat board.

Do you remember The Robins Nest in Elizabeth? It was place with live bands and dancing, and no booze. My late Father-in-Law was the manager of it. He drove a '58 Chrysler 300 with a 392 Hemi. I used to love that car, and I told him if he ever sold it, I want first crack at it. Unfortunately, his wife got first "CRACK" at it. She parked it near a receiving dock at Woodbridge Mall, at a semi backed into it. I managed to salvage the drive train, which went into a Yellow '32 Ford Vicky!

The Bayway Circle! Yeah, a friend and I were out there on a Sunday Morning at about 3AM. We must have driven around that thing 50 times. I VW vs. a Pinto. Both bone stock, and both dead slow! I broke a shock on the rear of the Pinto, so I lost. Breakfast was on me. We ate at a small all night dinner in Rahway, not for from the prison.

Wow, some really good memories!!!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Inactive User

Frank, I dont remember the robbins nest but I moved out to California in 71. Sold my GTX just before I left. Yea! That was a big mistake too. I've been seriously looking for another for the last 4 years. They were all either too trashed or too expensive. I finally found this one that's not perfect but it's great for a driver. Iremember the Rahway prison very well. They had that driving course right next to it where you had to take the exam for your license. Remember that? It had the little bridge and you had to stop on it and start again without rolling backwards. You had to take your car to get inspected right there too. Wher did you live, Newark? We used to go roller skating at Twin cities all the time. Ever go there? There was a really cute little chick named Carol White that went there all the time. Her brother Billy stabbed me in the back with a phillips head screw driver when I was waiting for the bus back to Elizabeth. That was the last of my roller skating days.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Inactive User

Very cool info about streetracing back in the day in Newark/Elizabeth NJ! Can anyone put me in contact with Xterminator or Frank? I grew up in Kenilworth NJ Union County and own a 427 Chevy Street racer from Elizabeth NJ.This car is originally from Elizabeth NJ and was street racing in late 1968 to 1970.Thanks in advance,Dan 908-328-7872
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Frank and Exterminator,You 2 remember Maurers Garage off Grand street and livingston street in Elizabeth NJ back then? Remember Tony Monaco and Frankie Johansen Mopar guys from that time in that area? My Motion 427 L88 Triple Black Nova ran at Avenue P in Newark NJ.I found a guy from that time period who took pictures,lots of picture.Hes well known total car nut from back in the day.He owned lots of Musclecars and street raced for money at Avenue P!! Unbelievable!!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Biggrin

Thread is 9 years old. However, Frankie is still here.