Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

Question Baldwin Motion Chevies

Hey, anybody out there ever come up against one of those Baldwin Motion Chevy Nova SS? There was a guy back east who had one and supposedly it was guaranteed to turn 11.5 with street tires and closed pipes. I never could get him to race though. He was just content to park it and stand outside of it talking the talk, but never actually walking the walk.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:52 PM
Inactive User

WHO CARES. if he was too much of a chump to put his pride where his mouth obviously was, there is probably no truth behind his talk. even if it is truth, it may be just the company he bought the mill through. i'm in the MARINES and im forced to listen to a slew of shovvy jerks and the ford boys are worse.

when MAXIM printed the fact that fords at one time did actually have dodge engines, i shoved it in their faces. that shut them up for quite some time. and the only ford i might consider owning is one of the late 60's mustangs and the '65 shelby a/c cobra. other than that you couldnt give me a ford, much less try to sell me one.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Red face

Baldwin Motion Was an outfit in Baldwin, NY (Long Island) that was similer to Mr.Norm ,Yenko and some others They took production cars and modified them for sale at a local Chevy dealer, they also modified cars already purchased by their owners They took a lot of Nova's Camaros and put Big Block 427's & 454's into them Mostly engines that were not available from Chevy (in a particular car) Eventually they began making Vega's w/Small block 350's. They were also a speed shop who had a much inflated reputation with local Chebby lovers. They were also known to "Clean out" just about anybody who walked though the door. Note: These was the rumours going around at the time not my personal experience. I grew up on Long Island and raced at the 2 drag strips there at the time. Maybe B1Ken can shed some light on this subject too .
Old 07-10-2003, 02:08 PM
Inactive User

Actually, I can't Chris. I didn't pay too much attention to them because I was a Chrysler guy.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Inactive User

Baldwin Motion cars were like Frankenstein. The Phase 3 Vette, Chevelle, Camaro and Novas all had parts from different cars on em. Lake pipes, Olds wing, cowl hoods...some of them looked kinda goofy. But very fast indeed. They even came with front tow bars. The 69 BM Camaro with aluminum heads and rear gear adjuster ran around $8000. Hell you could almost buy a GT40 for that amount. These cars are extremely rare and you can easily spot them with their pointy race stripes on the sides. Crack had to be prevelant back in the late 60's to have a paint job like those cars did!! But gimme a friggin Mr. Norm's Dart or Superbird any day!!

J-440
Old 07-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Inactive User

The only one I ever saw was that 69 Nova SS. It was a 427, pure black with the cowl hood, lake pipes and traction bars. I think it had a 4.56 rear. It looked pretty with its Crager SS wheels but I never heard it or saw it move. He had to drive it but all I ever saw was it being parked near the turn-a-round, where we cruised on Broad Street back in Elizabeth, N.J. He was just content to hank out by his car and talk. I never knew anybody who ran him. I was just wondering how quick they really were. He claimed that Baldwin Motion guaranteed that it would turn 11.5 with street tires and closed pipes, but he would never race anyone. Kind of a big waste of muscle if you ask me, especially if he paid anywhere near eight grand. My 69 GTX only cost me $3800 brand new, ordered from the factory. And I just didn't park it either, I had loads of fun.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:35 PM
Inactive User

All I need is one more person screaming about 8 grand being a lot for a muscle car, and I'm going to lose my mind. 8 GRAND?! It still boggles me about the prices. Granted, prices and market value have severely gone up, but come on! 8K for a muscle car? Or better yet, 4-5 for a hemi ANYTHING?! Lucky bastards..
Old 07-11-2003, 07:39 PM
Inactive User

WOOOO! Hold on for a minute. I'm talking about prices in 1968 and 1969 not now.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Inactive User

Yea, yea, I know. I just wish it were the same way today. And even if not, I wouldn't have a problem throwing down 30-40 on what would be the equivilant of a 71 hemi cuda
Old 07-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

I grew up in Seaford, a mear 5 towns away off the same hwy. (Less than 10 miles or so.)
I knew the youngest son and met the family once.
The rumor of rapeing your wallet goes like Don says, and how fast ya wanted to go. Also don't forget, here in N.Y. that the cost of living is not the same as most other city's in the nation.
Ex; Current pack of cig's is as cheap as $6.50 in the city limits. As an ave. I have seen $7.50, on high, $11.50.
Property tax (Non-biz) on homes is approx between $5,000 to $10,000 depending on town, location, lot size and county.
I have seen tax's as high as $25,000 for some house's.
(No, I'm not joking.)
I was old enuff to see these cars roam the Blyds. and Hwy.'s. They also did Chryslers as well.
The old saying was true with them, pass everything except the gas station.
They were selling kits to drop in big or small block Chevy's into the Vega.

Each car sold/modified by them was a beast out of the box.
Back then, it was just easier to do and get away with.
Old 07-13-2003, 07:05 PM
Inactive User

i knew a guy in high school had a phase1 crumaro supposed to be 10 second from factory i never knew him to run anyone horsepower is important but the driver that knows how to drive and put that horsepower to the ground can win a race with less power than the guy he is racing traction means a lot while u spinning the other guy can be gone
Old 07-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Inactive User

Default motion

Quote:
Originally posted by rumblefish360
I grew up in Seaford, a mear 5 towns away off the same hwy. (Less than 10 miles or so.)
I knew the youngest son and met the family once.
The rumor of rapeing your wallet goes like Don says, and how fast ya wanted to go. Also don't forget, here in N.Y. that the cost of living is not the same as most other city's in the nation.
Ex; Current pack of cig's is as cheap as $6.50 in the city limits. As an ave. I have seen $7.50, on high, $11.50.
Property tax (Non-biz) on homes is approx between $5,000 to $10,000 depending on town, location, lot size and county.
I have seen tax's as high as $25,000 for some house's.
(No, I'm not joking.)
I was old enuff to see these cars roam the Blyds. and Hwy.'s. They also did Chryslers as well.
The old saying was true with them, pass everything except the gas station.
They were selling kits to drop in big or small block Chevy's into the Vega.

Each car sold/modified by them was a beast out of the box.
Back then, it was just easier to do and get away with.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:56 PM

Red face

Rumblefish: Aren't you glad you live in Suffolk county and not Nassau county? I fled L.I. about 9yrs ago when my property taxes were approching 4K a year (in w.Islip) I have relatives in Nassau paying 6K for a dinky little house w/ almost no yard. Note My property taxes now are about $900./yr
Old 07-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Inactive User

C'Mon Chris, tell me you don't miss the BQE & Staten Island!
Old 07-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Inactive User

Yea, yea, lets all complain about property tax.... Try 9k in NJ for a small two story four bedroom on a 150x300 ft plot. Inclusive with this is my annual insurance of 4300... don't get me started on the rediculousness that is the State of New Jersey
Old 07-14-2003, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up

NJ may be expensive but at least you have a couple of good Drag Tracks there! Note: That is one reason why B1ken is so familiar with the B.Q.E. & Staten Island.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up

NJ may be expensive but at least you have a couple of good Drag Tracks there! Note: That is one reason why B1ken is so familiar with the B.Q.E. & Staten Island.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:39 PM
Inactive User

Yes, you're right. I've got Wall Stadium (a circle track) roughly 45 minutes from me and Englishtown Raceway Park about 15 minutes from me Gotta love it
Old 07-16-2003, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Well, I can tell you exactly why that guy talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. Baldwin Motion and Yenko both had a reputation for two things building very fast cars and replacing allot of blown engines.

I have never talked to anyone who knew somebody that had one of these cars and didn't go through allot of engines. Sometimes one a month. And these are Chevy people with first hand experience that are telling me this.

I had one guy tell me he was riding with a buddy in a 69RR and they saw a guy in a Yenko (Chevelle I think, been a long time since I heard the story) Anyways, the Yenko is behind them and power slides across two lanes trying to catch them. It catches up, they race, the RR loses. The RR didn't lose by a whole lot though. The guy with the Yenko put 4 engines in it in 6 months. The RR got sold later with the original engine. You can't win races with your engine on a hoist and it's hard to drive from under the hood.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:10 PM

Biggrin

Thats for sure! I did a lot of bracket racing in the late 70's I would love running Chevys & Pontiacs especially ones w/ stick shifts these guys would always be busting their 4-spds.,drive shafts. 10 & 12 bolt rearends. At least once a week some chump would granade his GTO or 409 chevy. These things were weak at best. and those Motion cars? believe me they were nothing special. Finally some of the GM guy's started smartening up and started putting Turbo 400's behind their chebbys & pontiacs.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

I used to race at the same tracks as NHdriver on Long Island in the 70's. Those G.M. guys were just as stubborn as most of the guys on this chat line. They insisted on using a G.M. driveline and usually suffered the consequences. I know of one real good racer with a 10 sec. big block Camaro who kept breaking T-10 four speeds. He said he had to change the gears EVERY WEEK to prevent the trans from breaking during a race. He then got a "SUPER" T-10 and said his problem was finally solved because the new trans was good for 50 runs! Imagine that, 50 runs - sheesh! One other VERY innovative Camaro racer put a Dana rear AND a Chrysler 4 speed in his car. I'm sure he took crap from the Bow Tie boys, but he said he was sick and tired of breaking. This guy gained my immediate respect. Not because he used Chrysler parts, but because he put all that "Chevy is best" crap behind and solved his problem in an open minded way.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Inactive User

Smile

I was checking out a 69 Camaro SS with a 454 one day at a guys car lot back in the early 80's. He told me about the Motion kitted Vega that I also had looked at while I was there. It had a 454 stuffed in it backed by a TH400 and a narrowed 12 bolt rearend. I laughed pretty hard when he told me an old lady wanted to buy it thinking it had a 4cyl in it!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

So sorry for not getting back and letting this thread go dead without a reply to;

nhdriver...... Yep, sure do. No sidewalks and I'm only paying $2700 (or so) for a half acre while my neighbors around the corner are paying 7 - 10,000 for less.
Quote:
Nassau paying 6K for a dinky little house w/ almost no yard
Sounds like Levittown/Bellmore or...wait, most of Nassau is that way. LOL

john zanetti

you were about to say......

b-1ken. LOL I knew a chevy guy or 2 that used a Chrysler 8 3/4 rear. They knew, they knew.
Easy swap, stronger than there stuff. Come to think of it, 1 guy used S/S springs to boot.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Inactive User

Smile

HI Guys,This is my first post and couldn't believe this thread!! It mentions a TRIPLE Black Baldwin Motion Nova SS L88 427 4 speed from Elizabeth NJ on Broad street. I know this car well and I'll go into it more! Car was originally owned by Fredy Calas from Elizabeth NJ who lived on Broad Street.This was the first 427 L88 NOVA JOEL ROSEN at MOTION PERFORMANCE did.Can someone contact XTERMINATOR and get him to this thread!! By the way my Cousin Ernie owns a 1970 Dodge Daytona 440 currently.I grew up in Kenilworth,then Somerville NJ.Anyone remember Rufus Boyd "Brooklyn Heavy'? Anyone remember Tony Battaglia of Batt Autobody in West Orange NJ? Dan
Old 03-25-2011, 05:17 AM

This thread has been dead for 8 years.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Inactive User

Hi,Sent you a private email.Sorry if I did something wrong. Dan Palchanes
Old 03-25-2011, 06:21 AM

Biggrin

No problem. PM sent in return.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Inactive User

Smile

Dick,THANKS!!! If any members know how to contact XTERMINATOR please HELP! Hes telling the truth about that Motion L88 427 Black Nova on Broad Street in Elizabeth!! 10 years ago I found it and still own it! Dan
Old 03-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Inactive User

By the way what was the color of XTERMINATORS 1969 GTX 440 car? My cousin Mark who lives in Flemington NJ owns a 1969 GTX hes restoring.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Inactive User

Wow hope it all works out for you! That would be so cool. We need to get in touch with Xterminator for both of our cars.

jason