Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Inactive User

racing srt-4 vs. GTX

my dad i are building a 69' roadrunner 440 , auto, 323 rear. its street able right now and we take it to the track often . we were at a red light and can u guess what pulled right next to us , a srt-4 . so to the point so he starts reving his motor and i start reving my , we took of and i blew his doors off and thats the way it went.
so i think if you can get a good ,even, jump, you can kill a srt-4.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

I would love you to pull up next to me so I could give you real race. M y SRT runs in the high 12's. My best ET is 12.843sec., vs. stock SRT ET 13.8sec. I actually haven't put that much money into it either, and I just got it out of the shop, I had an oxygen sensor go bad. My mods:Stage 1 tubo upgrade(58 psi injectors, power control module), Msd coil, 8.5 MM Magnecor Ignition Cables, Mopar Performance Blow-Off Valve, Aem short ram intake, Mopar short throw shifter; then the 2" Eibach lowering springs, front tower support bar, and lastly cut. made adj. rear tower support bar. I love to race anyone who feels like racing, so far there hasn't been many,but they're out there, who have blown the doors off my SRT(including the WRX Sti, just raced one yesterday, was a very good matchup, but my SRT prevailed) I would love to give your Dad's '69 Rodrunner a better compitition.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:12 PM
Inactive User

Laugh

my roadrunner runs 12.06's and on cold night i can get a good reaction and get 11.98's . So i would eat ur srt alive so bring it down to fl my friend. oh by the way , following mods to car, .060. bored, balenced steal crank ,speedpro forged pistons, eldebrock aluimun ported and polished heads ,M1 dual plane intake, high flow spacer, and a holley dominator 1050 cfm , and tpi 2inch headers. thats it for the motor. also for the car i have a 3.5 inch flowmaster exhaust. 3.23 rear end , 727 moded tranny , 3400 stall converter. anda good set of traction bars.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

Or better yet, come on down here to Tn. and get a piece of my 11.60 Duster.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Inactive User

Let me hop back into my dad's 74 Barracuda with a mildly built 630 hp 68' 426 Hemi sittin' between the fiberglass fenders. It's good for mid-low 10's. Now if only I could afford one for my Roadrunner....
Old 10-27-2003, 12:29 PM
Inactive User

V8s REAL American muscle!!
Old 10-27-2003, 06:50 PM
Inactive User

ok ill shut up about my car , but are yours cars street legal? I would love to know.

69' roadrunner 440 (street legal)
70' barracuda grand coupe ,all original
68' barracuda 340 4 speed
and all the parts you want!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:07 PM
Inactive User

I'm sure there would be plenty of 11 second street muscle Mopars on this site.......they just keep it to themselfs. There are some quick japs out there but they don't have enough to go further than eights every will.......they just don't have the capacity to run low numbers.......in other words unlike Eights they reach there max hp easy. They should be doing well they have everything in there favour; Light body weight, 4WD, 30 plus Years of Tech......theres just one thing missing Oh yeah a proper engine or BALLS!! "Theres no replacement for Displacement"
Old 10-27-2003, 11:40 PM

Very respectable SRT-4, very respectable.

I guess lesson learned. There is always going to be someone faster. It doesn't change anything until you line it up and get beat.

A 12 second street car has to be respected.

I appreciate Ma-Mopar for putting the SRT-4 out. Looking for more from them. Eat those WRX's up every chance you get!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:57 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 6t9roadrunner15
[B]ok ill shut up about my car , but are yours cars street legal? I would love to know.

Mines street leagal, plates and all.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Inactive User

But...

The SRT-4 is a much more practical piece though, as you can probably guess, for fuel mileage, and for comfort, probably for sounds and smells on a long trip. Not knockin the older cars, cuz I love em, but how many of us have an automotive baby, and then our everyday ride. SRT-4 has them both in one, and at a lot less cost than can be in some of our rides. Plus he can score replacement parts about anywhere, so there are pro's and cons to both ways, but I have my way, 73 Dodge Crew Cab 360, 74 Club Cab 440, and 98 Breeze. If I could, I would get a SRT-4.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:02 AM
Inactive User

Rice

I like the srt-4 somewhat thiers just one problem with it it's FWD i hate fwd cars the physics are just wrong if it was RWD i would probably have one but i'll stick to my dak. Just added some more fun factor to it today i installed a B&M hammer shifter man i love tearing through the gears should have done it the first day i bought the truck.Mopar is in the right direction all i need now is a RWD hemi-powered car and im there

DEPUTY
Old 10-29-2003, 05:06 AM
Inactive User

Me and my fathers cars are all street legal.
Old 12-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Inactive User

Pretty impressive times for an SRT, but how many of the owners actually yanked the motor themselves, hopped it up, then put it back in? You start with a $20,000 car plus another $5,000 for financing, pay a shop a countless amount of money to get a decent 11 second time and on top of that look like everyone else on the road. I can't see sinking all that money into a FWD econobox that will be worth nothing in 3 years. Take the same amount of cash and sink it into a big block 69 Runner and WOO HOO!! watch me fly!! Just my useless opinion...heh heh. Merry X-mas ya meatheads.

J-440
Old 12-25-2003, 05:43 PM
Inactive User

Who says you have to pay somebody, the Turbo K car guy's often do it for less than the half of the car's cost, let alone the financing charges. Plus Mopar Performance is offering a bunch of parts for the home enthusiast to install.
Old 12-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Inactive User

I agree with both sides i have a 71 440 Sixpack Challenger and 99 Neon it isnt a SRT-4 by any means but i would rather drive the Neon Everyday than the Challenger, now with that said if i didnt have my Challenger to take out on the Nice day's and romp-on and show-off i would be miserable because everyone and their brother has a Neon no fun in the looks Dept. But that SRT-4 is a exception i believe it is worth every penny if you buy one it exceeds performance specs on other cars that cost $7,000 more
and it has a more aggressive look. Im a old-fashioned like to see old musclecars smoke the rears and i totally thought imports were trash but i started looking at some and looking at the specs and saw that SOME (FEW) Run Incredibly well look at a Twin Turbo RWD Supra with just computer mods and your looking at a well over 450 Hp car and Toyota makes good cars (Don't throw the book at me!) but like i said it looks like every other Bubble car on the road. and there is always someone with a Faster car
and comes down to the saying "Different Strokes for Different Folks"
Old 12-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Inactive User

Agreed

I like it that way too. I have always had a dependable driver while I had a toy. The one exception was my Daytona T-Top. I drove it everywhere, nearly 80K in one year. Guess what, it's worn out now to the nubbins! I won't ever do that again. From now on, I have my '98 Breeze for daily grind, and my '73 Crew Cab, '74 Club Cab for smokin' tires (after I fix the '74) but no way on the Breeze. The car before the Breeze was a great ride. An '89 Acclaim. Laugh if you will, but the car looked like a rental, but was a Turbo with everything including heated mirrors. I called the little sleeper, because after going to bigger injectors, fuel system mods, and wastegate trickery, all to the tune of about 200 bucks, I was smokin the tires off that dog! I had more fun driving slow and waiting for some punk in a Cramaro or Rustang to pull out to pass, WHEEE! Punch it and let her fly. I guess that was one of those K-Car turbos done on a budget. Oh, yeah, I also replaced two head gaskets, two timing belts, rebuilt the trans, and one alternator in 224K miles. Not bad for a stripper-looking Acclaim! I wish now I would have kept that car, I could have made a stroker for my '86 Shelby. In a nutshell, I agree with bjoe, get a good driver, and mod your sweetie.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:56 AM
Inactive User

Default Street Racing

Theres no need to just sit there and talk s*** on the srt-4, those cars run good stock and I think high 12's is very good, you got a good ride with the srt-4 man, you also got some good stuff in the roadrunner low 12's isn't bad.... i got a charger same year street car, will run low 9's..... anyways good running cars man....
Old 12-31-2003, 09:06 AM
Inactive User

The SRT-4 in my opinion is the new Roadrunner for the 21st century. By that I mean it is a stripped down car that gets great HP from the factory that a young person can afford. For a 4 cylinder is goes fast right out of the box. For the kids of today it looks good and is fast and realatively cheap. I am a V8 guy but if I were in my late teens or early twenties I would probably get one.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:16 AM
Inactive User

In my opinion if I was in the market for a "new" ride I would have to get the Mustang GT because my friend just bought a new '04 model for $22k and some change out the door and I personaly ran a 13.83 at 100.3 with the tires that comes on it. The best bang for the buck on the new car market byfar. And mod for mod will always be faster than anything else for the money spent. I may have a Mopar but they have not done anything for the new car market like they could, already have a 5.7 hemi and plenty of cars that can be rear wheel drive easily and slap that engine in. They wont do it though.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Inactive User

Default Nice Kill

Way to whoop up on the new car 6t9!
I also have a street legal 69 Runner that I built a budget 440 for and I haven't got it to the track yet but I'm sure it's in the 11's.
Here's the build:
1970 440 block .030 stock rods, 6pack pistons .020 out of the hole(block is decked .025 and line bored).
906 heads mild home porting a .040 head gasket, stock valves, Mopar .590 purple shaft, crane iron adjustable rockers, Holley Street Dominator intake, 1050 annular Dominator, 1&7/8 headers 3" 2 chamber Flowmasters.
727 reverse manual valve body, Dynamic 8" converter, 4.30 gear 8.75 out back with stock springs.
I run it on 91 octane since it's only 10.5:1 and the cam has alot of duration so it doesn't detonate at least right now during the cold months.
I recently destroyed a Toyota Supra absolutely no contest, we raced from about a 25mph roll, I was behind him and he got on it when he saw me start to pull over to pass. By the time I hit 2nd which was about 1 second I was by him! We talked later and he told me he regularly beats GT's and SS's and wondered how much HP I was making.
I told him about 500 and some change and he felt better.
Hey, a sleeper it's not! But it put's a smile on my face that I can't erase.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Inactive User

I like the SRT 4, it's fast.
I see it like this, sure you could take the 20K and sink it into a hot rod and get something alot faster, true, but can you drive that to and from work everyday?? Ok so you can, but why bother, you're gonna spend you paycheck at the pumps, it'll prolly cost you 20$ a week more then you make, lol
If I was in the market for a new car, that's the one I would buy, keep my truck for playin around and drive my srt to and from work and I could even do some playin with my "other" car, lol
Old 01-10-2004, 03:02 AM
Inactive User

my dart and my cuda each have as much or more hp than your srt-4 and i don't have $15000 american into the cars TOGETHER.
i can not justify spending that much money on a fwd car, thats just not cool.
but there are a couple imports that can be fast, i don't mind the occasional awd talon because having a low 12 second daily driver with a/c and 20mpg sounds like a good idea. and it even has the chrysler pentastar on the fender! but i also know they are as expensive as hell to fix and about as fragile as glass.

i'll take a good old v8 any day, even when gas is $50.

and i drove my dart as a daily driver last year and the year before. its cool getting up every day for work, before that long and antagonizing journey through the modern day hell of traffic, and twisting the key and hearing that lumpy cam fire everything up at 7:00 am. makes your day just that much better when some guy has a 454 ss daily driver with f'in cherry bombs and you can just waste him.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Street Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple69Charger
Theres no need to just sit there and talk s*** on the srt-4, those cars run good stock and I think high 12's is very good, you got a good ride with the srt-4 man, you also got some good stuff in the roadrunner low 12's isn't bad.... i got a charger same year street car, will run low 9's..... anyways good running cars man....
Hey dude, look who's sittin' there talking s***.
I love chargers but ain't no way in hell you are running low 9's with the combo you listed unless you run a TON of nitrous!
You'll be lucky if you can manage a 10.40 with that heavy boat.
The SRT-4 is a good car compared to what is out there but it's still overpriced and ugly.
Like someone else mentioned, the earlier 2.2 and 2.5 turbo cars can run 10s with about $3500 in parts. If I were in the market for an ugly 4banger turbocar I rather drop about $6000 on one of those turnkey ready to pound all the new stuff.

P.S. That 8.75 is going to break so start shopping for a DANA 60.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Re: Street Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by MOPARMANJAMES
Hey dude, look who's sittin' there talking s***.
I love chargers but ain't no way in hell you are running low 9's with the combo you listed unless you run a TON of nitrous!
You'll be lucky if you can manage a 10.40 with that heavy boat.
The SRT-4 is a good car compared to what is out there but it's still overpriced and ugly.
Like someone else mentioned, the earlier 2.2 and 2.5 turbo cars can run 10s with about $3500 in parts. If I were in the market for an ugly 4banger turbocar I rather drop about $6000 on one of those turnkey ready to pound all the new stuff.
I went to the Mopar nats, and several other racing events and I have never seen a 2.2, or a 2.5 run in the ten's. Not without HUGE mods on it. Hell there was a 3.0 with a factory turbo on a Shadow and he could only get low 13's. The SRT-4 doesnt look bad to me. I would rather see that pounding out good et's than a Honda, or Nissan.
Yeah a 69 Charger with low 9's. That thing would have to be Tubbed, and have a major motor in it for that.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:19 PM
Inactive User

Default Re: Re: Re: Street Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by custom880
I went to the Mopar nats, and several other racing events and I have never seen a 2.2, or a 2.5 run in the ten's. Not without HUGE mods on it. Hell there was a 3.0 with a factory turbo on a Shadow and he could only get low 13's. The SRT-4 doesnt look bad to me. I would rather see that pounding out good et's than a Honda, or Nissan.
Yeah a 69 Charger with low 9's. That thing would have to be Tubbed, and have a major motor in it for that.
Check out Thedodgegarage.com. That guy has an awesome reliant Kcar that runs 10's and there aint a whole bunch of cash in it, just some intelligent modifications and a little cash.
He's also got video of it and others like the 12 second minivan whoopin on a late model LS1 camaro.

I'm not a big 4banger fan but I'm actually thinking of building a little 11 second shadow and driving it to work.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:21 AM
Inactive User

some of these jap turbo cars are quick, but how long will the engine last. My previous mildly modified 360 lasted 28 years before it spun a bearing. On pulling down the engine the cylinder bores where original size as from manufacture with it's original pistons. I'm betting that these jap turbo cars wouldn't last more than a few years.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Default 4 bangers

I have had V8's and sixes and fours. I just want to tell you V8 fellas, you best respect some of these new fangled 4 bangers out there. You can have all the displacement in the world, but there is nothing better than haveing a sleeper and suprising the crap out of some guy that thinks he's the big dog.
You just never know what the other guys got. I am not all that crazy about the rice cars but I do respect em.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:21 PM
Inactive User

Apples to Oranges....Yea the new 4/6 are quick, the SRT is a cool LITTLE car- (much like the Talon- not a comfy fit for my 6'5" frame). fact is the SRT is alot closer to it's max potential than the older cars, but take away the blowers, SPFI, computers,Cam phasers( Ultimate Daytona 304 Hp), and OD trannys( or add them to the older cars) and your back to square one- looking down a V8's tail pipes. Anyone can make 4/6s run fast and get good mileage with enough technology. Blowers, NO2, Viagra, it's all the same. For the prices and problems, and service issues of the 4/6's,( how long does it take to change a clutch and how long will those head gaskets hold?? I hope they did a better job on these than the 2.2s and 2.0's), No thanks. Oh BTW one of the 92? Supras (6cyl)got big surpise a few years back, he ran and I reeled him in on the highway, to my pretty much stock, (except for a ignition and 750 carb), 71 383. He started telling me, "Well it's not a turbo, I said neither is mine and I don't have FI or and OD trans..... whats your point?",( both of those are on the 2do for this year.) I won't lose a head on collision with dog, or find the car changing lanes next to a semi either. Their nice and quick, but their not all that either. My buddy hit a Talon that ran a red, with his runner. The runner had few scratches and bent bumper and the fender- we fixed it and it's back on the road. The Talon was totaled and the driver was carted away. Keep that in mind as your getting into your pocket rocket. There's more to consider in the real world than just how quick you are. Not that these little cars aren fun, and some can be done fairly cheap- but for a non track car- no thanks.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Inactive User

Roadchicken, was that Supra worked? Just asking because you should have whipped his ass easy if it was stock even worked. No contest.
The new car's are crumbly pieces of plastic but most of them are designed to obsorbe, Older cars take the impact like throwing a garpe at a wall, nothing happens to the car, but the passenger conpartment gets all the shock and feels most of the impact. Newer cars have there "crumble zones" and obsorbe most of the crash.
But give me a Muscle car any day, I'll live, and I know my car will be fine!