Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 03-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Default just remembering . . .

Here’s how the last race in my Charger went down, it was the summer of ‘99, one Thursday night, I had just got off work and was driving through downtown about 11:00pm on my way home when I heard a loud rumble coming up from behind, it was Donnie, a co-worker who lived right near me. So I mentioned the rumble, he had a 1978 Monte Carlo, you know, the short body cars, and a mild .030 over 350 and loud mufflers. I was driving my Charger, the 72 featured on my website,
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/344551 The first picture you see is the way I drove it everyday and the way I raced it that night. One picture you won’t see is of the tired 318 that dutifully powered the beast before it retired. So we revved at each other and ebbed and flowed with the change of the reds to greens as we went block to block through downtown towards Main street, where we turned left heading towards our little neighborhood nestled in the northwest corner of town, but there is a light industrial area separating big city and little ‘burb.
With a nice straight flat four lane one way going right down the middle, so as Donnie and I approach the last red I notice he isn’t slowing down as quick as me, and the light changes and he stomps it, so we were already rolling at say 20 mph and he squirts out ahead and starts to pull away, those MC’s were lighter, and his engine was bigger, but I had to give it all I had, so I let off the gas, grab the slapstick, push the button, slam it all the way back, and floor it, now most of you know what happens next from experience, with the leaf springs in the back and torsion bars in the front, you basically “feel” the whole car raise up at attention, like a hound dog whose ears goes up as if to say, oh, we’re going now?. With a little squaw (squealing and smoking is neat, but traction is better for racing) from the rear tires (I have 275-50-15 tires on the back) The beast takes off on it’s mission to gobble up this chevy dinner! He goes under the highway overpass and I know he’s not gaining speed like he was, and as I reach the overpass I bump the shifter to second and feel the tranny shift and I see that I’m catching him and I pull about even at the top of second, he’s maintaining speed but I can hear his bowtie spinning as hard as it can, I hold off shifting the last time just so he can see me smiling at him, and I slap the stick one last time to wind out the 318 and smoke this mousey-carlo I would say this distance is about a quartermile from the first red light and right close to the end is a train overpass and the last redlight is about 500 ft beyond it. I beat him by like five car lengths and let off at the train overpass and coasted to the redlight. As Donnie pulls up beside I yell at him, “You almost had me!!” He tells me, “Man, my oil light came on back there, do you have any?” Oh man, the cover story has already started. I ask him if it’s still on and he says no, I tell him to limp it home, and check it in the morning. I’m not one to rub it in, I knew what he was doing, but needless to say, he didn’t seem to go that way home
Old 03-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

LOL, allllways a cover story as to why I lost in my Chevy. How sad.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Inactive User

Default even better

Nine times out of ten, back then I always heard, "Man, I backed off, did you see that cop sitting back there?" There was never any cop back there!!! If there was we'd been getting busted instead of talking about it.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:35 AM
Inactive User

Good one. I had a buddy in a 66 Fairlane do the same thing on the highway. I pulled him by about a length from about 50-80. Later he said "Racing? we weren't racing?" I pointed out that we both slowed down to 50 then floored it. That fits my description! He was just mad because he knew my 69Cuda had a 318 with the Coke can carb. In all fairness if he would have had his drag gears in the rearend he would have killed me.

my favorite was one told to me by a friend. He got the old "I missed the shift into 3rd gear" he leaned into the guys car and in front of the assembled crowd said "Ya, those automatics can be kind of tricky"......ROFLMAO!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Ha ha ha ha ha, like I said, alllllways a cover story!
How sad!