Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 04-18-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Late model Z28 SS

I heading for the freeway today to go to the Spring Fling at Woodley Park this morning. As I approached the freeway ramp I noticed someone driving a Z28 SS. There was a car between me and him when he hammered it getting on the freeway ramp. The kill was on! I passed the car in front of me and was still lightly burning the tires when I passed the Z28 by moving over in the second lane as soon we hit the freeway. If I hadn't moved over as soon as I did, I would have rearended the POS bowtie. I slowed down and pulled over in the slow lane and the Camaro went way over in the fast lane and passed me a mile or so down the freeway. At least he didn't do the "ricer pass" !
Old 04-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Inactive User

Congratulations on your "kill", but I'm not sure why you referred to the Camaro as a "POS Bowtie". So you beat a (presumably stock) 330-horsepower Camaro with your lightened, 420-horsepower Duster. Good for you. Now what if HE had modded HIS car up to 500hp or so and handed you your ass? Would your Duster have been the "POS Mopar" then?

Seriously, I love it how people make disparaging comments about other cars as a brand, just because they have a modified car of a different brand that's faster. There are Camaros faster than your Duster, and there are Mopars that are faster than those Camaros. There are other Camaros that are even faster than those other Mopars, and the cycle continues on and on. The only logical "winner" would be the guy with the absolutely fastest car, and by the time you get to that point, the cars bear no resemblance to street cars anymore. It's like someone saying that the 426 Hemi in his car is "better" than a big-block Chevy, just because Top-Fuel dragsters use Hemis. The 6500-hp Hemis used in the drag cars have virtually nothing in common with our street engines.

Scott Gardner
Old 04-19-2004, 07:21 AM
Inactive User

1.I believe the reason he refered to it as a POS is because by their very nature that is what a Chevy is!!!

2. A Z-28 SS is a legend in the world of POS's and is a modded lot car that cost a hell of alot more than a duster.

3. A kill is a kill and a Mopar forum is a MOPAR forum. If you have trouble understanding his point of view maybe you are in the wrong forum.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by riquiscott
Congratulations on your "kill", but I'm not sure why you referred to the Camaro as a "POS Bowtie". So you beat a (presumably stock) 330-horsepower Camaro with your lightened, 420-horsepower Duster. Good for you. Now what if HE had modded HIS car up to 500hp or so and handed you your ass? Would your Duster have been the "POS Mopar" then?

Seriously, I love it how people make disparaging comments about other cars as a brand, just because they have a modified car of a different brand that's faster. There are Camaros faster than your Duster, and there are Mopars that are faster than those Camaros. There are other Camaros that are even faster than those other Mopars, and the cycle continues on and on. The only logical "winner" would be the guy with the absolutely fastest car, and by the time you get to that point, the cars bear no resemblance to street cars anymore. It's like someone saying that the 426 Hemi in his car is "better" than a big-block Chevy, just because Top-Fuel dragsters use Hemis. The 6500-hp Hemis used in the drag cars have virtually nothing in common with our street engines.

Scott Gardner

Well pro-Chevy Guy,

The moron driving this Z28 SS was driving like a real butt head and was cutting people off, actually, the car in front of me almost hit him when he cut it off and had to brake real hard because of the stop light. When you drive your car like its a race car on the street and you get totally blown away even when you have an enormous head start, it is my opinion, your're driving a POS. Anyway sorry to offend "bowtie" cars!

Actually his embarrasment would have been worse if I didn't have wheel spin in every gear and was passing him while still producing wheel spin.

I've heard that chevy engines are too fast for funny cars and drag cars. Is that why they all run hemi's to keep the speeds down?????

As far as street engines go, a friend of mine is running a single carburated 638ci chrysler in his 65 Dodge using premium gas, no NOS, no blower, no turbo, first run on the dyno last week put out 938hp. How many GM engine's can do that without NOS, blowers or turbo's, and still be a street driven car?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:38 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by gthomas
Well pro-Chevy Guy,

The moron driving this Z28 SS was driving like a real butt head and was cutting people off, actually, the car in front of me almost hit him when he cut it off and had to brake real hard because of the stop light. When you drive your car like its a race car on the street and you get totally blown away even when you have an enormous head start, it is my opinion, your're driving a POS. Anyway sorry to offend "bowtie" cars!

Well, it would have been a better story if you had said that in the first place. The way you originally posted it, it came across sounding like "I saw this guy flooring it to get on the highway, so I decided to pass him. His car was probably stock, and mine has 90 more horsepower than his, and 180 more horsepower than when I bought it new, not to mention his car weighed over 400 pounds more than mine, but I'm still so proud of myself as a "Street Warrior" that I'm going to post it in the forum..."

I've heard that chevy engines are too fast for funny cars and drag cars. Is that why they all run hemi's to keep the speeds down?????

I've never heard anyone claim that, but it would be a stupid claim to make. I'll say it again - any engine you see in a funny car bears very little resemblance to what you would see in a production car.

As far as street engines go, a friend of mine is running a single carburated 638ci chrysler in his 65 Dodge using premium gas, no NOS, no blower, no turbo, first run on the dyno last week put out 938hp. How many GM engine's can do that without NOS, blowers or turbo's, and still be a street driven car?
]
Don't get me wrong - your friend's accomplishment is impressive, but 1.5 hp/c.i. isn't extremely difficult to attain in a streetable engine, regardless of the manufacturer.

And for the guy that suggested I may be on the wrong board just because I don't automatically crap on anything non-Mopar, let me just say that I like a LOT of cars. I love my Charger. My Dodge Ram is an awesome truck. I also have a German motorcycle and an Italian motorcycle that I'm enthusiastic over. I have a Honda that doesn't give me any strong emotions, but it's been a great little car. Looking at other cars in my price range, I'd love to have a 1959 Cadillac Eldo, a late-sixties Mercedes 300 SEL with the 6.3-liter V-8, an old Ferrari 308 QuattroValvole, another MGB, a Delorean, a '71 Cuda, or a 1957 Chrysler 300.

Most true enthusiasts don't obsess over one particular brand, to the extent that they crap all over anything else out there. Motorcyclists have a saying - "It's not important WHAT you ride, it's only important THAT you ride." I appreciate well-restored or well-modified performance cars, no matter what brand they are.

Scott Gardner
Old 04-20-2004, 06:20 AM
Inactive User

Well, This isn't PerformanceCarChat or Letsallbefriendschat is it?
Don't come in here and start defending Chevies and flaming peoples kills and expect everyone to jump on the bandwagon with you.

Please Scott since you are some kind of self styled moderator and all around know it all. When is it OK to post in this forum. I wouldn't want to dissapoint you with any nonsubstantial kills or races where a poor defenseless Chevy is outgunned by one of those Chryslers that keep picking on them.

Let me get this straight. 1.5hp per Ci is easy to get in a streetable engine? So, When is the last time you saw a streetable 350 pushing 525hp Naturally aspirated. All the ones I've seen pushing 400hp were only loosely streetable. If it was as easy as you say then there'd be alot more cars running around with 600+hp.

As for your belief that a topfuel engine has almost nothing in common with a 426HEMI There is enough in common to make it clear that they are all based on the ultimate factory engine.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:38 AM
Inactive User

Arrow now boys

lets not count apples against oranges,sounds like someone needs a nap,or a beer,or some nookie,or all of the above.you are both bikers,and so am I.There.Some common ground for us to stand on.I like my Harley.Had it longer than Ive had kids and they are old enough to drive now.I have also had 6 chevies.Why?because they sell good.Every time some ricer guy starts picking on my old bagger I am forced to tell him that I also own more jap bikes than he has probably ever seen in one pile.And thats what it is too, a pile of them.I work on most any brand,own the same.But prefer an oil leaking noisy millwaukee vibrator.Preference is what makes us all individuals.I bet Scott has a moto guzzi touring and a R100s.How am I doing?I ride with these kind of bikes all the time.And the first time I blow by them at 130 plus with the old lady screaming blood murder at me,no more wise cracks about the old bagger.Run watcha brung and enjoy yourself,life is way way way too short for petty bickering.I am now getting off my soap box,I got a damn chevy to work on.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:59 AM
Inactive User

A mopar killed a chevy all is good

By the way the Hemi engine used in top fuel dragsters evolved from a street engine it was the 392 Hemi.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:20 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally posted by undeadslant6
A mopar killed a chevy all is good

By the way the Hemi engine used in top fuel dragsters evolved from a street engine it was the 392 Hemi.
You're absolutely right, but the key word is "evolved". There's been so much evolution that a 6500-horsepower, supercharged, nitro-fueled Top Fuel engine has nothing left in common with any street Hemi ever produced. If you don't agree, try to think of any engine part from a street Hemi that would survive even a single pass in a Top Fuel engine.

The street Hemi is an awesome engine, but it's silly to try to use a Top Fuel engine as proof of that fact.

Scott Gardner
Old 04-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Inactive User

Your right it has evolved to a point that it shares no parts. But it had to evovle from something and that was a chysler Hemi.
So when you start talking about making serious horsepower you talk about an engine that evolved from a chysler not a chevy. Hotrodding is all about changing/modifying parts to go fast.

It don't matter what kind of car you race as long as its fast. I respect fast cars but I don't have to like them. Its cool someone gets a car to go fast I would just rather the car be a mopar.

Its like the people that I have raced saying I didn't win because I have a blower on my truck and they have a stock vehicle. I say go mod your car, make it fast enough to beat me then you can talk, untill then you got beat.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Inactive User

Camshaft, lifters, valve covers that's three pieces that could survive a pass. They wouldn't make as much HP though. Ofcourse, That's a rediculous argument.

The fact of the matter is that there are no Ford or Chevy based top fuel motors. That's because they never produced an engine of that quality.

This isn't a discussion based on a Hemi though. It's based on a 360 with 30year old technology Vs. A new Crapmaro. It's also based on someone defending a Chevy and saying that the kill wasn't really worth hearing about because the MOPAR was Modified and the Camaro was "Supposedly" stock.

So, If I outrun a Civic in my 4,400lb truck, is it not a valid kill because I have 100 more hp? What if he's modified and I'm not? Seriously, A kill is a kill. Don't dog someone out because they Street raced in a modified car. A newer Camaro SS is a fast car. Beating one isn't an easy feat for most cars. If he beat it then GOOD FOR HIM!!!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Inactive User

Okay, now that I understand the rules for this forum. I'll stop posting. I've learned *so* much, just from this thread:

1) Mopars Rule.

2) Anything else is crap.

3) If one car is slower than another, the slower car is automatically a POS, regardless of whether either car is modified or stock.

4) One car can "kill" or "beat" another car by doing something as simple as passing them on a freeway on-ramp.

5) It's something to get excited about to "kill" or "beat" another car, even if the other car has a significant power/weight disadvantage, didn't choose to race you, and possibly doesn't even know you're coming up behind him.

I don't argue with zealots - I'm gone. Let the thread die and forget I was ever in here.

Scott Gardner
Old 04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Inactive User

Of all the things you learned, you missed the part where most of the people who frequent this site do so because of their almost fanatical belief in all things MOPAR.

1. Yes, MOPAR's do rule. Especially at MOPAR Chat.

2. Not everything else is crap. Don't expect people to hold back though. We tend to call them like we see them.

3. If a car is slower and you outrun it then it is a kill and deserves to be here. No, the other car isn't automatically a POS, unless it is a Camaro.

4. If both cars are accelerating at their full potential then yes, the faster car can claim a kill. Even on an onramp or public street. Hence the name "STREETWARRIOR" forum. (would you rather have them do timed parallel parking?)

5. Yes it is something to get excited about to"kill" a new Crapmaro with a 30 year old brick. Especially if it is the "ULTIMATE" crapmaro. If that car was caught off guard they had a great chance to go for a rematch at a higher speed. They didn't, they acknowledged defeat and carried on.

Not arguing with zealots is a good idea. Staying out of their territory and not attacking what they believe in is a good way to avoid those arguments.

This thread will die eventually. However, I will never forget the entertainment your pointless rhetoric of mutual respect for all cars has brought to this forum.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Banned

By the way, you can take the heads and every piece of a top fuel hemi apart and it will bolt on a stock block. Wont last, but it will bolt on. The parts may be heavy duty, but they are the same demnsions as the stock 426H.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Okay, now that I understand the rules for this forum. I'll stop posting. I've learned *so* much, just from this thread:

1) Mopars Rule.

2) Anything else is crap.

3) If one car is slower than another, the slower car is automatically a POS, regardless of whether either car is modified or stock.

4) One car can "kill" or "beat" another car by doing something as simple as passing them on a freeway on-ramp.

5) It's something to get excited about to "kill" or "beat" another car, even if the other car has a significant power/weight disadvantage, didn't choose to race you, and possibly doesn't even know you're coming up behind him.

I don't argue with zealots - I'm gone. Let the thread die and forget I was ever in here.

Scott Gardner
Yeah, we've learned a lot from your FAOE attitude!

The idiot in the POS Z28 SS was "hammering" it when he got on the freeway. As well as going way too fast on surface streets and cutting in and out of traffic.

I guess a FAOE like you knows a lot about engines, unfortunately one of your misconceptions is, 420hp is a "race motor". Sorry, but I built it to be reliable and drivable on the street. The engine I took out had around 130hp more and wasn't fun to drive everyday.

Seeing as you ARE the Friggin Authority on the mentioned Z28, and as you've posted, you seem to know the Z28 idiot, ie how he was driving, how hard he was on the gas and how much hp and mods he has. So I was wondering how much does his car weigh, what mods has he done to drop his car to 330hp.

I know a bunch of F-body guys that had a dyno day a while back, most of them put 340 to 350 to the rear wheels with very slight mods. How come your buddies car only has 330hp? You help him work on it?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:27 PM

Hey Diego SST,

Where are you stationed at now?

GT
Old 04-22-2004, 03:54 AM
Inactive User

Well,
I'm still at Ellsworth AFB, SD. Right now I'm "deployed" to the island of Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. They keep telling us we are at war right now, but it's hard to tell with all the fishing and snorkeling I've been doing. Last year when I was in Saudi it was pretty obvious we were at war, what with all the afterburners announcing it and the planes going up loaded and coming back empty.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:24 AM
Inactive User

I said I wasn't going to post here again, but I wanted to come back one more time - to apologize.

Gthomas' original post was the first one I had read in this forum, and I jumped in with both feet. Now that I've read more of the older threads, I realize that the tone of his post was typical of the forum, and I didn't have any right to dog him for it.

On all of the other mailing lists/forums I belong to (Ducati motorcycles, BMW motorcycles, DeLorean, and MGB), the posters are enthusiastic about "their" brands, but not as fiercely fanatical about it as the posters here. There's also less of an "us-vs-them" attitude on these other forums, and that's the tone I've gotten used to over the years.

My enthusiam is widespread for a lot of vehicles, and I won't apologize for that, but I shouldn't have reacted to your post the way I did. If you guys are more fanatical about Mopars than I choose to be, well, this is your house and it wasn't my place to start crapping in it.

So again, I'm sorry.

Scott Gardner
Old 04-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Inactive User

Apology accepted. By the way, it's hard to find a more fanatical following than MOPAR lovers.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:59 AM

Hey riquiscott,

A bunch of us "hotrodders" meet every Friday night at a place called Flames. We pick on each others cars, but, we all appreciate other brands. I can't help it if some of my mis-guided friends have Z28's (yup I hang out with the late model F-Body guys over there, don't tell anyone though). Believe it or not, when I told them about the way that guy was driving and how he almost caused an accident at the light just before the freeway, they even said good kill. There probably isn't anyone on this forumn that doesn't appreciate any car that is well restored or modified. I think its the attitude of certain types of car owners that irk us.

What I was trying to point out that this guy was endangering other drivers with his excessive speeds on local streets while cutting people off. And his driving attitude was one that was "Hey I'm the fastest car on the road and get out of my way".

GT
Old 04-24-2004, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Scott Gardner
you arnt a true mopar enthusiast anything that ant mopar it is POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Banned

Old 05-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Inactive User

Do I have to scold all of you!!!

Bad,bad mopar chat people. OK now that thats over, Group hug!
All cars are a POS at one time or another! I never swore so much in my life as when I put headers in my duster, Well maybe when I did a tune up on my chevy astro van (the loser cruiser).
Old 05-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

moparman92 said;
Quote:
you arnt a true mopar enthusiast anything that ant mopar it is POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not tryin to druge up anything or stir the pot, but, If you like cars in general, but chose to drive a MoPar, does this make you not MoPar enuff to chime in.
Lord knows I have driven and owned alot of other makes. But home is where the heart is. Most of the time, thats work on my Dodge. Weekends could be the Plymouth. Daily it's the Chrysler.
Unless it's Harley ridin weather.
riquiscott seems to enjoy other cars not only American made, but some Euro cars as well. I can't see anything wrong with that. Even roddin them up some.
I had lots of fun in my other makes, but, then again, all my freind know where I'm at. They tell me my heart has 5 chambers. (Pentastar shaped.)
Old 05-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Inactive User

Exclamation Mine too

but you get some strange looks at the doctors office when they use a stethascope huh!
Old 05-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Inactive User

Default Hate to sound dumb but

Quote:
Originally posted by gthomas
I heading for the freeway today to go to the Spring Fling at Woodley Park this morning. As I approached the freeway ramp I noticed someone driving a Z28 SS. There was a car between me and him when he hammered it getting on the freeway ramp. The kill was on! I passed the car in front of me and was still lightly burning the tires when I passed the Z28 by moving over in the second lane as soon we hit the freeway. If I hadn't moved over as soon as I did, I would have rearended the POS bowtie. I slowed down and pulled over in the slow lane and the Camaro went way over in the fast lane and passed me a mile or so down the freeway. At least he didn't do the "ricer pass" !

Whats a ricer pass?
Old 05-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Inactive User

Arrow my guess is

the finger salute
Old 05-09-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Hate to sound dumb but

Quote:
Originally posted by rallye72
Whats a ricer pass?
After you've slowed down to the speed limit, and a mile or so down the road when the ricer finally gets a head of steam, they pass you doing 80 or 90mph. Thats called a "ricer pass, and at that point they figure they have beat you!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Inactive User

Yeah, it's amazing how many ricers have "beaten" Vipers, for example.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Inactive User

Understand!

My daily driver is an 89 mustang lx (married into it)and many people assume it's a 5.0. In reality it's a 4.0......... 4cylinder 0 power, and I get a lot of ricer fly by. Honestly this car couldn't pass a pair of nike shoes! At least it's decent on gas. I should have my slant 6 dart out this week so now the ricers can tell their buddies they out ran a hemi dart!