Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-17-2004, 02:04 PM
Inactive User

Default T-type

Last fall I bought this 67 coronet 383 auto, my other 67 coronet has a 318 and I was quite impressed with how this one ran although the trans seemed to be slipping. I took it to work and had new tires installed. I work with a kid who has a 5.0 mustang and a tech who drives a regal t-type and he talks like its the whip. I know those turbo gn's and regal can be real quick cars but I wanted to see what the coronet would do. So at 6:00 we all pulled out the parking lot at the same time. The mustang hung back and watched me and this regal get absolutely silly in rush hour traffic, we both were side by side in the end the regal pulled on me a little but it was pretty even. Come to work the next day the guy is running his mouth saying he didnt try. My car is now torn apart and being restored but that little whit regal is on the top of my list. Mopars rule
Old 05-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Same old song, same old dance from the GM crowd. Stuff your ride with a small cam and duals. Whoop his hide and tell'em it's stock except the mufflers.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:25 PM
Banned

LOL! You tell 'em Rumble.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Yea, I'm tellin ya DW, the kids are the worst. They take a talk that makes no sense and they think there big stuff. They only make fools of themselfs infront of those whom know whats what.
He has NO exper. in motor racing or even street brawlin. It is plain to see in the way he gloats. Freakin childern with adult toys.
Allways a bad idea. but.....

You know what I noticed, when I'm down at the drags or a Nascar race, I go over and talk with the crew of any serious team and ask questions. (Not to many though, there tired.)
When I ask them, and I say I just dont know any better why they choose the engine they choose, they allways say it dosen't matter if it's a MoPar , Ford or a Chevy or what ever.
I was surprised. I said why? They say an engine is an engine is an engine and they all cost a small fortune.
So race what you want or prefur or what you think will give you an edge, it'll still cost a ton of money no matter what you bring to the table.

Race what ya like. Race with an engine that has an advatage. Thats why most teams choose what they choose. Some are just plain loyal to brand........ and or because they allways messed with a particular brand.
Air goes in, air goes out, the one that does this the best makes the most power.
For this reason, ya gotta love MoPar.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:22 PM
Inactive User

This t-type guy is the old fart actually, I am the new kid on the block. He has been racing this car since he bought it new, he has pictures of it all over his tool box down at some street car shootout, but he is a gm nut. I am 24 and have loved mopars all my life and my first car was my other 67 coronet 500. I grew up just outside of detroit 2 miles from the famous woodward. I love mopars! Not all "kids" like rice
Old 05-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Inactive User

Hey 67 Coronet. Good job. I know a guy that's the same way. There is allways one in every crowd (and age group). Like DWC says stuff a small cam in it and duals and go get him. Just be careful on the street. Do it at a track if you can and he'll have no excuses when you show the timeslip. Glad to see another young Mopar gun. We have quite a nice young Mope crowd springing up in my area.

LOL, Tracy

93 Dak, 318 auto, best time of 14.70. Nothing but a few little bolt on's.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Inactive User

Default already has the cam

It already has the cam and exhaust, I dont know what the specs are but it ran like a champ through first gear but the trans needs a rebuild and was slipping badly, I am putting a manual valve body with a new converter, I cant stand the kickdown linkage bs. the guy before me had it so rigged with clothes hanger wire and hose clamps , I threw that crap out and it still never shifted right, then it started in gear and took the door off my 04 grand cherokee, and in turn started the restoration process. I am shooting for august 1.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Banned

Well that's why your trans is slippin. The kick down linkage adjust the line pressure as you increase the rpm's. Loakr make a cable kit that works great. This is what you need. Do Not use a manual valve body on the street. It does not hold the low band in the tranny and will let the over running clutch overspeed and this damage can cause it to explode. I have seen the whole floor removed from a car due to a tranny sprag explosion.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Inactive User

If you plan on building up your tranny a bolt in sprag is a really good idea!!!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Inactive User

I love the guys who "Weren't even trying"

If they weren't trying, then why did they bother? He couldn't very well have known you guys would run even, so if he "wasn't trying" he might have gotten his ass handed to him, and looked like one at the same time.

I know a guy who is SERIOUS about his racing. Way back when he did street race (doesn't anymore, too dangerous these days) he ran every race like it was the finals at an NHRA event.

He took alot of guys twice..once when they said they weren't trying (for $100) and then again when they were serious...for another $100....
Old 05-22-2004, 03:06 AM
Inactive User

ive been in a situation about the same involving a buick GN... a guy I went to highschool with had one... He blew my doors all thru highschool till my senior year when i built a 351w and dropped it into my ford maverick...then i would pull away from him pretty good...i got smart one day and sold the Ford and Bought a RoadRunner...the roadrunner was not as fast as my old maverick..but it was a 70 model with a low compression 73 440..all stock besides headers..it would give that buick GN a dead even race and that was with 2.9ish gears in the 8 3/4 . I now have the roadrunner built up and it runs alot better..and its alot faster then my old ford...i see this guy a few years later and his Buick is broke down..haha..and when i asked him if he remembered racing me once and we were dead even..he said he remembers the race..but he beat me bad.. haha.. oh well... i guess he cant remember to good..but atleast my car is running still some people just have endless excuses or just will plain out no admit to getting beat. ......
Old 05-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Inactive User

Cool I hate the excuse makers

When I was in high school I drove my challenger and everybody wanted to run me. One guy had a 79 impala that his grandma gave him. He thought because he had a 350 and I had a 340 he would beat me. Every time I took his dead presidents he would claim something was wrong with his car, needs dual exhaust, timing, ect.... It just got old. My competition was a 68 olds cutlass and 77 mustang with a windsor. After I ate up the 77 rustang I ran the dudes cousin with a 70 merc cyclone with a 390. More excuses rolled in. I lost one race and that was to my buddys dodge rampage. My tranny started to slip and I launched hard when it caught and I fragged the flex plate. I didn't make any excuses. Funny thing is nobody bothered my girlfriend (now wife) in her 66 mustang with a straight 6. I told everybody she had a 428 super cobrajet (a little lie). I guess people were afraid to be beat by a girl.