Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Inactive User

well at least the v8's are coming back in mopars
Old 08-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Inactive User

Oops! Sorry, didn't mean to post here.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:13 PM
This account disabled due to bad email address!

Quote:
Originally posted by a100dude
well at least the v8's are coming back in mopars
yeah they are,but its a shame the magnum and that 300 are butt ugly.i cant beleive they even thought of making them.
i bet resale after one year is 40% max on these dogs..
Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Inactive User

Thumbs up I agree

If you want a mercedes go buy one.They should have done something different with the front end for sure.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:20 AM
Inactive User

I really like the 300. But then I like my Fifth Avenue...

Its a start, hopefully a start of more and better.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM

I don't mind the looks of the Magnum from the front, but what the heck is up with the chopped top window look? Seems that style is the new fad. Can you slip inside without clipping your head on the roof?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:48 AM
Inactive User

Unhappy Yeah, cuz it's big.

This car is a lot bigger than it looks. I saw a couple doing burnouts in Branson MO this past weekend (along with some classic iron) and they seem to me, anyway to be like lowered, chopped Satellite wagons with modern flair.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Inactive User

the both of em are starting to grow on me, just cant get over the cross bar grill on the magnum tho. I thought the 300's front was ugly, but after seeing the pictures of the 300 with the new 6.1 litre hemi, I think I'm beginning to accept it as ok looking. The dodge dealer would love to sell me a new magnum but I'm still gonna wait another year for the Charger. cant wait.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

They should make V-8 available in a mid-sized RWD 2-dr.The Avenger would have been the perfect base. Now with the Hemi available again, a sports car with one is a must. The Magnum is too boxy yet still tough looking. 300 with 2-doors and shorter wheelbase might be neat. If Pontiac can have the GTO, we should get a new 'Cuda or Charger. Ford got it right by redoing old bodylines.
Old 08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Inactive User

Unhappy Ditto

Me either.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Inactive User

68fury, good luck on your project. I can imagine seeing a '68 Plymouth Sport Fury speeding along the England countryside being chased by the "Sheriff of Nottingham". Sorry...had to say it!

[QUOTE=68fury]The '68 Sport Fury is a project car at the moment, I was using it on the road but now I need to get it stripped for paint. I can't decide whether to go for a warm 360 (408?) in it or a big block. I kinda like the fact it handles pretty good with the small block and I've beaten FWD ricers on twisty roads in it before! Amazing but true.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plymouthcuda
It funny how much money the ford and the chevy guys put in thier engine, just to keep up with a stock mopar!
Take it from me. There are some fast Chevies out there. I have a 500 incher on alky runnin 9.80's that I love playin with on the street if I can ever find me a race. Well, last weekend a 68 Camaro got me by about 2-3 cars. Buddies did some research on the car, evidently his is a 632 incher on the spray. He doesn't run at the track but is percieved to be a high 8 to low 9 car.

There's plenty of V-8's here in St. Louis... our problem with street racin is we really have to avoid the cops.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

A freind of mine likes to build those mod motors from ford. Recently i have spent a lot of time at his shop and i am amazed at the thousands of dollars these mustang guys spend. A N/A 5.4 putting out 400whp was going to cost over eight grand. Now that guy is going to spend nine for a blown 4.6. that is way to much money for me.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ 440R/T
If your talking about a 3l Turbo with 4x4 (slightly-mediumly worked) and you win in your stock 440 now thats a story.
If a stock 440 is tough luck against a fast ricer how much work/money do you need to be able beat most fast ricers; say getting a 440 challenger into the 12's. Im looking to buy my first old mopar because i have never liked sport compacts for many of the same reasons already said here. i decided on mopars because my dad said they were always the fastest back, way faster than his '79 z-28 or '74 442
Old 08-27-2004, 01:30 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Take it from me. There are some fast Chevies out there. I have a 500 incher on alky runnin 9.80's that I love playin with on the street if I can ever find me a race. Well, last weekend a 68 Camaro got me by about 2-3 cars. Buddies did some research on the car, evidently his is a 632 incher on the spray. He doesn't run at the track but is percieved to be a high 8 to low 9 car.

There's plenty of V-8's here in St. Louis... our problem with street racin is we really have to avoid the cops.
Neil, I know there are some fast Chevies out there, Ford too for that matter. What I was trying to say is, if you take a stock mopar ( small block, or big block). Then take a Ford or Chevy stock from the factory, and match them up. Big block with big block and small block with small block. Mopars usually have more horespower per cubic inch then the others. Now I'm not talking about the special made vehicles ( Ford lightning, Shelbys, or anything like that). When I started this thread I wanted to know what happen to all the muscle car out there. I could remember when, people use to go crusin and all you hear is the V-8s roaring down the road. Pulling up next to you and let their engine talk. I don't see that anymore here. Once in a great while I will see a nice old muscle car come down the road ( Mopars, Chevy or Ford). But it getting to be a rare sight.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:49 PM
Inactive User

Guys, I am a Mopar fan from way back. Kinda the Black Sheep of my family. My Brother had a 66 Nova that ran in the 12's and another had a '65 Impala that also ran in the 12's. I had a '68 Tempest that I would guess to be in the low 13's ( I bought this car when I was 14 and needed my dads help so I could not get the Charger I wanted ) The way that gas prices are now I understand the whole import tuner craze. Some people have done some crazy things with the GM 3.8L V-6 http://www.bgnra.org/fast_cars.htm and the 2.2. http://www.thedodgegarage.com/index.html

I would rather drive a V-8 and pay for the gas. Sounds silly I know
Old 08-29-2004, 03:18 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarge

I would rather drive a V-8 and pay for the gas. Sounds silly I know

That dosn't sound silly at all. There is nothing like driving a V-8 vehicle. Especially an older muscle car. The sound and feel of the engine rumbling under the hood. There is just something about it, that make it fun to drive. I don't care if there is faster four or six cid vehicle out there with better gas milage. Its still not the same!!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:40 AM
Inactive User

Absolutely. You want to see our gas prices! we are close on $6 a gallon. Netherlands is about the only place I can think of where its higher!

I drive a 318 M body every day and screw the gas prices. It might cost me an extra £10 a week to drive this thing even on short commutes over a eurobox, but if I owned a nice shiny new Opel or Toyota or something I'd lose that and more in depreciation.

V8s are the only way for me (until I get landed with a long commute!!!)

A guy a couple of blocks away from me has just brought a '66 Fury 2d HT with a 383 over from the USA, so now theres two of us in town
Old 08-31-2004, 06:01 AM
Inactive User

Thumbs up

Sounds like you are starting a trend,keep it up.I had a 65 sport fury 383 and it wasnt that fast turned consistant mid 14s but it sure got the looks with the paint job I had on it.The back seat got alot of use too if you know what I mean.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:09 AM
Inactive User

The guy with the Fury is a real Mopar head. He has a wild 440 Dart GTS, has had Scamps and just about every A body ever made.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

68 Fury - Maybe you can talk him into posting a few photo of his ride.

MoparMarc - Sometime its not how fast you can go, Its how good you look while performing. If you know what I mean.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMarcIdaho
Sounds like you are starting a trend,keep it up.I had a 65 sport fury 383 and it wasnt that fast turned consistant mid 14s but it sure got the looks with the paint job I had on it.The back seat got alot of use too if you know what I mean.
Is that the one you named Mayflower.............because so many girls came across in the back seat?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Inactive User

I dunno man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosserman
A freind of mine likes to build those mod motors from ford. Recently i have spent a lot of time at his shop and i am amazed at the thousands of dollars these mustang guys spend. A N/A 5.4 putting out 400whp was going to cost over eight grand. Now that guy is going to spend nine for a blown 4.6. that is way to much money for me.
My neighbor has a 2001 stang cobra that has 360 rwhp. installed a cold air kit, underdrive pulleys, headers,and a chip. Dyno tested on a chassis dyno last month at 362hp. I can tell you first hand this thing runs like a raped ape!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Inactive User

The answer is quite simple, how many newer cars have V-8's anymore, almost none. This is why we have all these 4 bangers buzzing around to race, because that's almost all that's left. Especially if you are like me and are Mopar or no car, I've had 5 cars in my lifetime and only 1 has ever had a V-8. All the others have been 4 bangers for two reasons, one is fuel mileage and the other is the fact that there hasn't been a Mopar car with a V-8 that is worth a damn since 1974. I'm very glad to see that the RWD V-8's are being brought back after all these years by DCX, but they are huge, heavy, ugly, 4 door and overpriced. If they would make a V-8, RWD, 2 door with a manual trans that is affordable, I would buy one right away. Due to the lack of such a thing and the need for an affordable car with a decent warranty is why I have yet another 4 banger. However my new 4 banger ('04 SRT-4) is quicker, faster and better handling than most muscle cars stock vs. stock. I would love to drive my Roadrunner every day but it's too expensive and doesn't have a warranty. I would love another big V-8 to drive on a daily basis, but my SRT-4 will be quite fine until then.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plymouthcuda
Rumblefish360, glad to hear you are showing your kids how to work on these older cars. Some of these newer mechanics don't know nothing. If there's no plug-in on your vehicle to tell the computer what is wrong, they can't help you. So, if you own an older vehicle, you better know how to work on them or know an older mechanic who know's how.
LOL, thanks. I try to keep them busy from time to time. My son is a natural, my daughter is courious on these old metal giants.
I just get upset at a garage that doesn't know or understand how to align (sp) my Cuda or Magnum. It's even worse when the dudes my age or older. I'm like come on now! I get all twisted up when I see a plug in on new cars. I don't have any hand held plug in stuff.

NZ 440R/T You have a pint (Way early in the thread) about ricers going fast. Like 68fury said. Theres a diff in ricers and imports with performance.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblefish360

NZ 440R/T You have a pint (Way early in the thread) about ricers going fast. Like 68fury said. Theres a diff in ricers and imports with performance.
Ricies being the stickers, wings, fart cans, bacially pieces of shit that couldn't do the 1/4 to save there own lives?
Imports being the Supras, Skylines and Evos?

Old 12-20-2004, 03:21 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Oppsss, point I mean. But, what the heck, have a pint while I'm at it. (psssst)

Uuummm, yea, kind of. There are pretenders and wannabes. I think we can seperate them easy enuff. An addition of fart cn and cool spark plug wires are not "IN" and gather NO respect from me.
I have respect for anyone adding 1.5 times the amount of power the engine came with. I say good job. (Ex; stock 340 HP to 390 - 430 true HP) There having fun. And why not?!?! Even if it's a imported car, thats there deal, there having fun adding spice to life.
Pumping up 2.0 hp per cid is a real tuff job to do in reality. Not to mention lots of $$$
Think 340 (cid ) X 2 = 680 hp That'll get a out of ya!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

The ricers drive me nuts too, but I think a lot of them might go for a good American iron musclecar (of any make) if they had a little more understanding of older cars. WE need to be the ones to mentor them and get them into the hobby. How many of these kids would jump at the chance to REALLY crank up the power in whatever they drive? The problem is that they don't know anyone that has the knowhow to help, so they follow the example of thier friends, who also don't know squat, or have mentors. Adopt a ricer, turn him around!!!!!!

On the rare occasion I take out the '67 Barracuda, I get more grins and thumbs-up than I do attempted races. I think these guys are interested, but they don't know where to start. I know some of the ricers are troublemaker types, so what better way to occupy their time than get them involved in REAL musclecars, so they have something that is more interesting than getting in trouble? Food for thought.

torch
Old 12-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting torch
On the rare occasion I take out the '67 Barracuda, I get more grins and thumbs-up than I do attempted races. I think these guys are interested, but they don't know where to start. I know some of the ricers are troublemaker types, so what better way to occupy their time than get them involved in REAL musclecars, so they have something that is more interesting than getting in trouble? Food for thought.

torch
I agree that the kid today need someone to show them. I get the same reaction when I take my 67 out.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 AM
Inactive User

fast or slow theres no replacment for the sound of a thumping V8 i can be riding along at 25 mph { or sitting at a stoplight } and the feel and sound is plenty to give anyone a woodie , you just cant get that with a popcorn machine , just today i went to advanced auto { they love my car } and about 10 people stoped just to find out what was under the hood and 3 times that just walking around it telling me how nice it is .