Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:45 PM
Inactive User

Default 318 Dakota vs. Hemi Ram

I haven't read about a good race in a while, so I thought I'd post a recent one.

Friday coming home from work I noticed a nice Ram getting on the freeway as I passed the on ramp. The Ram was a nice black 1500 with a big graphic Hemi logo on the side of the bed. Well the next thing I see is he's at my bumper and then pulled around to my passenger side door. He was smiling letting me know he was wanting to play. I have a little black regular cab dakota sport that has been itching to see how those big Hemi's run. Well we started off from a 60 mph roll and when he floored it, he pulled a half truck length on me as I downshifted into 4th. It took me a couple of seconds, but I started running him down and passing him, he really had a surprised look on his face. We did this a few more times with the same result.

We exited the freeway together and when he came to a stop, the first words out of his mouth was, "THATS NOT STOCK!". We got out and I popped the hood and showed him what I'd done to the dakota and he did the same. The guy was a sargent in the Air Force and he was showing me his stock Hemi. A Magnaflow was his only upgrade. I seriously think if he had a set of Doug's headers on that Hemi it would have been a much closer race. His truck also had a speed limiter at 105 that didn't help him. I have alot of respect for that engine and was amazed at how fast it pushed that big truck around. I would really like to have a black "Rumble Bee" version.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Ha ha ha lol, cool. That be one problem of todays trucks, mass and weight.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Inactive User

A guy pulled up to my wifes turbo PT in a Hemi Ram quad cab 4x4 and started blipping his throttle so we could here his Flowmasters!

Well the light turned green and he was on it and got a 5 or 6 ft jump before my wife decided to go. Well she cleared the intersection a full car length infront of him!
Old 02-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Inactive User

Funny you should mention that, the sargent (guy with the Hemi) said he had played with a turbo PT and that they were pretty fast. Didn't mention who won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333
A guy pulled up to my wifes turbo PT in a Hemi Ram quad cab 4x4 and started blipping his throttle so we could here his Flowmasters!

Well the light turned green and he was on it and got a 5 or 6 ft jump before my wife decided to go. Well she cleared the intersection a full car length infront of him!
Old 02-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Banned

Confused

my bud just got a new hemi quad, his wife has a 99 quad, shes got a k+N, dual ex, and a performance computer. she can smoke his stock hemi, 0 to 100, and she gets better gas mileage. WTF???
Old 02-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Inactive User

I think the '94-'00 Rams are lighter than the '01 and later, plus all that extra crap they put on these things anymore sure don't help. Makes me want to put one of those Hemi's in a XJ w/a 242 case and see what one will really do
Old 02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

naw, i like you too much to see to dead, you got a 4.0??
Old 02-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Inactive User

Yup! Figure the lack of weight and New Hemi power will allow me to make it easier than normal to show people what my taillights look like
Old 03-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

yes, yes, right bfore "lift off"
Old 03-10-2005, 07:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Please don't laugh. (laughing hysterically)

Ok, here we go. I'm a Chevy guy, have been for years, but i'm doing a restoration on a 73' Cuda for my boss. The Cuda, don't get me wrong is gonna be a monster once it's all said and done, has a 360 Interceptor in it right now. We picked up a 440 and 3 speed powerglide on the deal of the century for it with plans to work it over a bit and spend lots and lots of money on tires and rearend parts.
The problem I have is that I was trying to decipher the engine casting code to get the history and everything I find doesn't list the code on this particular motor. The code i took was off the driver side of the motor just below the head, here's the number 3830930-440-5 If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all and don't we all just love HP ? lmao
Old 03-10-2005, 07:37 PM

I can't help you on the codes, but I am curious about your terminology. Interceptor has been a Ford term for certain engines and certain vehicles since the '50s, and Powerglide is a Chevrolet term, although I don't think a Powerglide was ever more than 2 speeds. I think it was replaced with a 3 speed in the early '70s. The 3 speed Mopar unit was called a Torqueflite.

Back to the Ford Interceptor, The 1960 Ford Interceptor engine was 352CI and rated at 360 HP. A 1960 Ford with that engine and a 3 speed manual with overdrive was considered the fastest production car in the world, turning an honest 150 mph in a Motor Trend test. That was in 1960!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:05 AM
Inactive User

Sounds like they need that to replace the Crown Vic.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:24 AM

Biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley
Sounds like they need that to replace the Crown Vic.
Nah, wouldn't work. That Interceptor engine had dual point ignition and mechanical lifters with adjustable rocker arms. Four barrel carb too. Plus, three on the tree and cable operated overdrive. Nobody could work on it or drive it today.

A high school friend of mine was the son of a Ford Dealer Sales Manager, who had a new Sunliner convertible that he used to drag on the street and the strip. My friend used to get it on weekends (16 years old!) and load it up with buddies and go cruising. I had a chance to drive it once and was very impressed. Up to that point, it was the fastest car I had ever been in. It used to run Super Stock at Raceway Park and did OK.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the help, I didn't realize that the torqueflight was similar to the 3 speed Powerglide, like I said, Chevy guy (laughing). The 360 that's in it was out of a Police Package car, hence the reason I referred to it as an Interceptor, honestly didn't know to call it anything different. Although I have to admit, the more I learn about the ol Mopar's the more intrigued I am. Some of the design issues in the motor's is pretty interested but questionable. The main one being, why the design of the Distributor into the oil pump drive. It's a nice setup but with that keyway set up the way it is, it just seems to me a bit prone to failure since it just sits down in there. I know it's not under any significant pressure, just riding in it but it seems that if there was any binding at all the distributor could jump, but what do I know.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Inactive User

Although, one thing I did forget, just like Chevy and Ford. Chrysler unfortunately did away with the best transmission they ever built. Chevy gave the Turbo 400 the axe because it was bulletproof too, but from what I hear the Torqueflight was stronger. And I know Ford has done away with some pretty good products too but I can't stand Ford's and can't seem to bring myself to identify em in here. Sounds like yall have some pretty nice rides, nice to meet like minded people who just love to ruin the rubber.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:53 AM

Hey, 73 Cudaswap! I see you are from Indianapolis, my home town. I used to work at the Chrysler Plant (been closed for years) on Shadeland Avenue.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:38 PM
Inactive User

Yup, I sure am Dick. They're closing down the foundry there off 70 and Holt rd at the end of this year too from what i hear.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Cudaswap
Yup, I sure am Dick. They're closing down the foundry there off 70 and Holt rd at the end of this year too from what i hear.
Yikes, sorry to here that.
Quote:
Chevy gave the Turbo 400 the axe because it was bulletproof too, but from what I hear the Torqueflight was stronger.
The distrib will not jump out. It is a non-issue. So is binding or twisting gauling and the likes.
The only problems are;
When people do not reaplace them in HI-PO build ups and timing goes crazy and roller cams most allways require a bronze gear in the middle peice, the drive.
On trannys, I new a few guys that used a TF beind the Chevy engines. Cross useage of trannys between the big 3 are a common thing. Right now I know a place that sets up the Ford AOD for use behind your MoPar or Chevy.

(Hey, whatever works for you.)
Quote:
nice to meet like minded people who just love to ruin the rubber
Old 03-14-2005, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the help, I didn't realize that the torqueflight was similar to the 3 speed Powerglide, like I said, Chevy guy (laughing). The 360 that's in it was out of a Police Package car, hence the reason I referred to it as an Interceptor, honestly didn't know to call it anything different. Although I have to admit, the more I learn about the ol Mopar's the more intrigued I am. Some of the design issues in the motor's is pretty interested but questionable. The main one being, why the design of the Distributor into the oil pump drive. It's a nice setup but with that keyway set up the way it is, it just seems to me a bit prone to failure since it just sits down in there. I know it's not under any significant pressure, just riding in it but it seems that if there was any binding at all the distributor could jump, but what do I know.
well, if your a open minded chev guy, your in for a treat! the only thing that isnt better on a chrysler vs chev is the adjustable rockers. but, the only reason chevs have them is because they couldnt build a engine true and structurally sound enough to live without them. good luck, oh, the torquefite will take more torque, heat, and be more wear resistant than the 400, but, the torqueflite will not take reverse/drive slamming (J hook) like the 400, oh, reverse is stronger on the torqueflite too, xpecially in trailor/mud truck applications.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:53 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoehandley
I think the '94-'00 Rams are lighter than the '01 and later, plus all that extra crap they put on these things anymore sure don't help. Makes me want to put one of those Hemi's in a XJ w/a 242 case and see what one will really do
my 96 ram ext cab only weighted 4650 or so with me in it. and at the time i was about 190. (im 172 now, and now i have the dak!

jim