Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Roadrunner verse Rice

A ricy Honda Accord threw a rev so i threw one back just for fun. He gets besides me and asks if i want to race. I told him sure ...and we decided on a spot and we end up racing from a roll and i pull 2-3 cars on him instantly so i shut it down pretty quick. He wants to do it again but i decline realizing it would be the same results and traffic was coming up. That was my first race with rice....the guy seemed pretty cool... maybe he wants to convert to mopar power now......
Old 06-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Inactive User

Biggrin

we can only hope that he saw the light and get a real car that actually sounds like it is running
Old 06-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Inactive User

I kinda know a guy with a Daytona wing car. Anyways, at the drags on Sat nite he'll run anybody with $300(gotta pay for tires!) He dropped the hammer on an Accord(well souped-up) and it was plain funny. You couldn't hear the Accord for the Hemi, and he let-off for about a 12.9 run, not near what the car will do. He ran a Chysler 300 and it was a real race. In a mile, I think the 300 would have taken him. If it were on a curvey road, the 300 would leave him for dead. The new Charger, especally the 6.1L, will scare the old muscle cars in the 1/4. On a winding road, they'll just be gone. We all love the old muscle cars, but they were mostly straight-line cars and didn't handle wortha flip really. I can't imagine 425HP in a chassis that will handle like my tiny sports-cars would, but it's coming.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Inactive User

I was on a 300C board and one guy on there says he ran a 12.99 in the 1/4 with the SRT8 300c that was all stock......no telling what these cars will run when they start getting modifications to them......
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkercolt
We all love the old muscle cars, but they were mostly straight-line cars and didn't handle wortha flip really.
Time marches on, just for ease of reference, it's been 35 years since 1970, the year considered by many as the peak of the musclecar era.
Now if you'd done a similar race back in 1970, you'd have been racing a 1935 automobile!! Really puts things in perspective, doesnt it?
Would a guy with a brand new 1970 Hemi Roadrunner or 6-pack R/T have even considered racing a hot 1935 Ford V8 or Chrysler Imperial roadster? More likely they'd have laughed and told Gramps to put his flivver back in the garage!!
The fact the old musclecars are even close in performance in some ways, is the surprising fact. Bring the fuel system and electronics up to modern specs on a 70s musclecar, and see if things aren't a lil closer...
Also, the smog dog low compresstion late 70s and early 80s are finally behind us, that also counts for alot.
It's obvious that a bone stock 30 to 40 year old classic won't hang with most new vehicles, but it's not really supposed to, if you think about it.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:50 AM
Inactive User

I understand what you're saying. I think it's increadable with emmissions, crash testing, tree-huggers, dinky cars and all, we're getting BACK to the performance of the classic musclecars for a price under $50,000, plus the modern handling and luxury(CD player, 10 speaker stereo with 278 watt amp, A/C, p/w, p/l, cruise, traction control, whew!and I've forgotten half the stuff!). We have a roadrace track(13 turns) about 35 miles from town, and the sportscar guys are already planning a class for the new Chargers. The real funny deal is currently 'Vette's have to run vs Turbo Porches and VIPERS and guess who ALWAYS wins that class??? BTW, a guy from OKC brought his Shelby Cobra roadster down once to run the 3-5 Vipers. He got beat so badly he won't come back and tells everybody how "the engine wasn't running right, the points were bad, the carbs were dirty/blocked, tires were bad, etc,etc,etc," BS! I used to race a 240 Fairlady(DatsunZ) and Fiats and an Alfa Romero up there and it's fun. Now I race motorcycles, especially my '64 Honda SuperHawk in the antique class(Team SLOW...Slow,Lazy, Obsolete, Wicked). We've been known to race kids on modern 250's and hit their kill switches in corners!That's the wicked part!
Old 07-12-2005, 03:29 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
I kinda know a guy with a Daytona wing car. Anyways, at the drags on Sat nite he'll run anybody with $300(gotta pay for tires!) He dropped the hammer on an Accord(well souped-up) and it was plain funny. You couldn't hear the Accord for the Hemi, and he let-off for about a 12.9 run, not near what the car will do. He ran a Chysler 300 and it was a real race. In a mile, I think the 300 would have taken him. If it were on a curvey road, the 300 would leave him for dead. The new Charger, especally the 6.1L, will scare the old muscle cars in the 1/4. On a winding road, they'll just be gone. We all love the old muscle cars, but they were mostly straight-line cars and didn't handle wortha flip really. I can't imagine 425HP in a chassis that will handle like my tiny sports-cars would, but it's coming.

You'd really be surprized with what technology has accomplished with the old musclecars. Very often the old school musclecars are now being upgraded with a lot of the technology that is found in today's modern cars. It's a whole new class of automotive enthusiast call the "G-car". Most of these rides are street legal muscle cars with the ability to go well into the 150 + mph category, stop on the dime, and handle like a champ. Pick up an issue of hot rodding magizine, and you'll see what I'm talking about, not to mention any mopar action mag. There is at least one "G-car" in each issue. I'm impressed with what people are doing to the old musclecars. 17/18' wheels disc brakes all around, sway bars, and power make for one fun ride.

Jay
Old 07-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Inactive User

Default these things cant be beat.

i know these cars dont handle, dont stop and are way less efficient than modern cars, BUT!
when you combine grunt ( power) and looks, i reckon these things are the pinnacle of automotive art, they are so raw and basic that they cut out all that computer nonsense and m.p.g.
stand on the brakes, they'll stop you (eventually)
look at the lines of these cars, they all look tough,sound tough and back it up with performance.
i'm a jock, (scottish) and live in england, i love some of the classic cars that we have produced, but i dont think we have matched the whole muscle/looks package as well as the 60-70 cars from moparland ( maybe the 4.2 e' type could sway me, and maybe the rover 3500 p5 which had the old buick ali' engine, which was actually used to compare some figures in the 60s muscle car tests and outbraked everything there, cos it had good disk brakes)
i love my cars, 68 G.T.X. & 65 Coronet.
68 dart on its way from uncle sam soon with a big inch hemi, this'll show them.
good luck.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Well, if you are talking stock, then yes, newer is now better as far as stock goes, except styling!
But if you talk upgrades as 87DakBuilder mentioned, you need only look as far as the Flyimg Brick in Mopar Action Magazine. There is a 69 Valiant with inexpensive suspension upgrades used from old police cars and superstock springs with a healthy stroker smallblock that was passing Vette's on the outside of corners during several years of participating in Car and Driver's One Lap of America race.
This was at a fraction of the cost of a 300. If one were to copy this formula in say a Demon or Duster, it would also look better than the 300 or new Charger.
So please, you not imagining 425 hp in a chassis that handles well shows that you are not paying much attention since this has been done over and again by many people and the Factories are now deciding to emulate this.