Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Inactive User

Default grudge match

back a few years i had a 78 asprin 340 pushing roughly 400 hp and a 2500 stall and 373's 8 3/4 rear. at the time i was working at a bodyshop and there was this new guy that was hired. this guy was razzin me about my slant six tranny(904) and little 340. he has a 60 belair with a warmed up 350 4 speed and 3.90's. and he was talkin smack...laying it on thick....real thick, i was to the point of mating my fist into his nose. meanwhile back at the ranch we were planning a drag race event on a piece of black top on a highway that is not used very much. we were 12 of us locals battling it out to finally put all the words into action. there was 402 camaros,350 camaros, 502 57chevy,the bel air, fire chickens you name it.i was doing ok for having crappy radials and 100 lbs of sand in the trunk for weight. beat a few lost a few and tied one. but the best was when i and that belair lined up. he was smirking his shit face smile, revving it up and just being a jerk. i kept it cool and dusted of the tires and staged. flag man in the center sais GO!!!....hit the gas hard wheel spin,smoke...ahh traction- grab second and loked beside me NO BEL-AIR..6500 shift third SEE YA LATER!!! i destroyed his blue junk heap by at least 4 car lengths..WOOOHOOO!! he simply looked down and became verrry quiet, shaking his head. :chainsaw:
i was asked by the local fuzz the next day "so who is top dog?" i thought that was pretty good that they knew what was going on and never showed up. i gained respect for them that day and they respected us as well, that we kept it out of town.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Love hearing those GM pounding stories. Good one.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Inactive User

Great story!
Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Inactive User

Thats funny, a 350 isnt going to be fast in a 60 Belair land yacht. Not that a 350 is usually all that fast in anything....
Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Inactive User

i remember when he first got it running, he was testing it on the highway and kept blowing rearends, claiming that there was so much power he can't keep a diff it in. it turns out he was installing $75.00 diffs and seriously revving the motor and dumping the clutch and he had mickey thompsons on at that time as well. i told him at that time to install a good rear like the 8 3/4 or a 9" ford and he wouldn't blow them up anymore. he said his rears are just as strong ....what a maroon
Old 10-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Inactive User

my buddy's dad has a 60 Belair that has the 348 big block with triple dueces and a 4 speed. The car isnt too bad for a huge boat of a car, but I know that the big block in his is probably putting out more power than most 350 small blocks, and he has no problem with his rear end, and his is factory. That guy sounds like a douche.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Inactive User

The 55 to 62 chevs. used the same drop out pumpkin.They were ok till you put some sticky tires on them.I remember going to the drags in the 60s,saw a lot of them blow.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Inactive User

Butt ugly!!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtw31
this has a 350 in it.i believe your statement needs rethinking

No, actually I will not rethink my statement. In fact Ill say it again. A 350 is not USUALLY all that fast in anything....

I never said with no exceptions. As far as what Straight and I were discussing goes, a 350 is not that fast in any full size car without doing a ton of modification to it. And madman is right, the Olds (guttless) Cutlass was butt ugly in my opinion.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
well,since you drive a Dart,the most sought after vehicle by state and local governments in the 70's,im sure that makes you an expert.
Yes, I have a dart that I am building, what does that have to do with my knowledge of GM junk? I grew up on mostly GMs and probably know more about them than any other brand of car. I got into Mopars a little later on. I have had 3 or 4 GMs with 350s, plus I have a bunch of buddies that are Chevy guys and have 350s in their vehicles. Maybe you ought to ask where my opinion comes from before you try to make an ass out of me.

BTW, My Dart is going to be a street/strip car, I chose it because of its light weight, and I like Darts. Its my preferance, doesnt mean you have to like them.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar413
The 55 to 62 chevs. used the same drop out pumpkin.They were ok till you put some sticky tires on them.I remember going to the drags in the 60s,saw a lot of them blow.
yup that is what he has. just because it has a pumpkin like the 8 3/4 and 9" he figured that is what he has in strength...not. oh and check this, while he was building the engine he was horsetrading for used parts like cam ,heads etc..he has absolutely NO idea what cam he has in the thing. he "degree'd" the cam and when he was done i asked him what the specs are, he said 5 something lift and get this "380degree" duration.....i thought there was only 360 degrees in a circle...whatever. OH OH and another story he was cruising with the local clud 2 years ago and he literally lost his tire and axle on the hr side. the quater panel looked like a huge grinder had it's way with it when it stopped.hehe what come around goes around.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
well,since you drive a Dart,the most sought after vehicle by state and local governments in the 70's,im sure that makes you an expert.
HEY,HAY, Now!

torch
Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 AM
Inactive User

well i'm jumping in... the 350 is the most popular engine to hot rod for a few reasons. aftermarket support is frigggin unreal, and they are everywhere(plentifull cores) and cheap. but from my experience if you took a 340 and a 350 and you had 3 grand, and you had to use the heads the engine came with, now rebuild it and get as much hp as you can with the cash and NO spray. the 340 WILL dominate. when i hear someone building a 350 i think of a guy that has no imagination and and he would be the type of guy that would hit his head with a ball peen just because everyone else does.350's are boooring!! some may be fast but still make me sleepy. ee:
Old 10-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Inactive User

Default Truce!

Okay, first of all, the Olds pictured didn't have a Chevey 350, it was an OLDS 350, a way better engine in my opinion (I build engines for customers, thank you) and the 350 in the '60 Bel Air would be a little lacking on grunt. Now, as to the 350 not being fast in ALMOST anything, in stock form, that is MOSTLY true, but the key thing is that they don't take a lickin' like other types of engines can, so while they may be fast, they are also breakage-prone unless there are big bucks spent on them. I see both of your points, but let's quit the pissin' contest and get back to the topic at hand. Good kill, and nothin like a Chebbie boy who knows nuthin, that's why he drives one! :-) PCRMike
Old 10-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Inactive User

AMEN BROTHA FROM A DIFFERENT MOTHA!! this forum is for stories..made up or real, doesn't matter. this one was real. just makes for good reading.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
if you knew anything about 350's,then you wouldnt have made such a statement.

talking down another brand,motor or whatever is just lame,it doesnt make your car any better .

Just to set the record straight, im not talking 350s down to make my car look better, im talking them down because i have plenty of experience with them not holding up. Therefore in my experience, they are junk. Im not looking for your agreement or to change your mind. Just remember that opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.

Back to the point, the old GM axles were notorious for coming out of the housing. Ive known quite a few to do that. The worst one I can think of was my buddy's 84 full size truck, it had the axle come out on the expressway at about 70, not fun.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Moparchat Bronze member

Quote:

Closet GM fan. I had a 72, 350 Olds Cutlass. I like that car. It is the only other 350 worth looking at from GM with potential to boot.
agtw, he just loves his car and is a MoPar fan through and through.
Since your showing love of other cars, it isn't going to sit well on a MoPar only board as well as it would in your opinion or mind.
I like cars period. Mopars are the fav. I've owned 1 of every American make except Caddys. Each have pros and cons to them. Beating up someones opinion on this board for being a MoPar lover on a MoPar board is poor form.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Inactive User

Default Pissing contest

One thing to keep in mind is that GM guys usually only talk to other GM guys, and know NOTHING accept GMs.
Ford guys talk to other ford guys and know NOTHING accept Fords.

BUT, MoPar guys talk to everyone, know quite a bit about Fords and Chevys as well as MoPars.
Think about it. It is true.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:

This POS would be lucky to run 18's at sea level! Go back to your GM board and talk crap to dorks that would believe your BS that this car is fast.