Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Inactive User

Default Who cares about paint jobs ( or the ugliest Money Mopar you've ever seen)

Generally I don't run my yap much , BUT seeing as how I seem to be among kindred spirits
here I thought I'd ramble a bit.

Let me preface this by saying that YES I do respect horsepower regardless of how many
holes are in the block or the manufacturer of the ride. And though my primary allegiance
has been MOPAR for thirty years , yes I've owned several stout Chebyletyadowninapinchs
a a couple of right quick Rustangs.

However that said the car I miss the most and will eventually duplicate ( lost in a fire
that burned so hot it actually MELTED the B-1s) was also what a lot of folks in a certain
area of Cal always stated was the UGLIEST street ride they'd ever seen. Some here might
even recognise the car.

ALways wanted a Max Wedge car ( first Mopar I ever drove was a '62 Belvedere that
belonged to my Uncle , anyone else remeber the Exner designed cars? 413 , 4 speed
and 3.91s) anyhows I decided to fake one , picture a 4 door belvie(65) with the read
handles removed and back doors welded closed , primer grey , no inner fenders , 2 buckets seats , 8 point cage , no radio , no heater , no A/C and basically no interior but the two seats
and the harnesses.

License plate that read MNYMPAR and a sticker across the back window that read
ALL THROTTLE NO BOTTLE...............

505 inches , 12.5 to 1 , B1s Barry Grant prepped Dominator , built 727 with 4500 stall
converter and spooled 4.30s in an 8 3/4 etc.etc.etc in other words the usual stuff outa the
Mopar performance bible.

Finally had to utilise it on the street 'cause it was set up with a 8 point cage and they
told me at the track not to bring it back without a 10 point.

So on to a specific night a few years back at a hotspot just outside a certain central cal coast town , trailered it down to a buddies ( kinda hard to play freeway driver with 4.30s and
stall speed that high) so we unload it fire off , my buddy gets in his 11.40s turbo eclipse
and we drive out to the spot , get there early and park and sit to watch what might develop
Keep in mind that this was about 2 months after the Fast and The FuckedUp came to the
big screen and it sent the Cal streetrunning scene to hell in a handbasket in a quick way.

So we stand around , a couple of greyhaired old geezers watching all the 17 second hondas
a couple of WRXs and several 5.slows tear each other up.

And along comes one of the local loudmouths in his rrrreeeeeaaallllll pretty bright red
'69 El Camino , he bounces out of it proclaimng it to be a NINE SECOND RIDE at the top
of his lungs , guy just irritated the hell out of me right of the bat , this is not meant to sound racist in the least but damnit white dudes with dreadlocks , I mean com'on dude it's
a Rasta thing ok? I wander over and take a closer gander at his Elkie , 4 speed
NO traction aids whatsoever and he lets me know that it's a out of the box 502 crate
motor , not a prayer in HELL of it EVER getting ANYWHERE near a ten flat much less
the low nines he's claiming.

Now Mark ( my buddy with the Eclipse) is just dieing for me to take this guy off , I
tell him ...no wait a bit se we watch him for about 45 minutes or so busting these kids
chops telling them he only runs for money and collecting 700 or 800 bucks from assorted
ricers and the mustangs , Marks chomping at the bit and telling me FINE that he'll take him
off , sure enough Loudmouth gets around to us , first thing he does is walk up and
say " Hey Grandpa did you come to race that pile of junk?" , I look back at him and say
in a quiet tone " Beat the Eclipse and I'll run ya" , we negotiate a 3 bills run and as Mark is
firing his Eclipse I tell him " lose and make it look good we'll get the money back."

So they line up , hit and Mark just lunches him out of the hole and has to keep getting
out ot the throttle to let the guy win by about three cars , we pay him and now he gets to
me and it's " why don't you paint that piece of shit SloPar" etc .etc. I keep leading him on
until he's shouting at me that I'm a pussy and waving money around screaming about
let's go for 500 scoots.

So I drop ten benjamins on his fender and say " how much balls do you REALLY" have
kid?

Dead silence

" Well kid? whatsamatta did your mouth write a check your ass and your ride can't cash?"

So I offer to give him the leave just so there isn't any bullshit later , and we're on. I yank the VHT out and he says " whats that shit"?

At any rate we prep the Grey Ghost and line up and by this time the loudmouth is
beginning to think he might be in trouble.

Light blinks and I give him the leave , hell I gave him fifty feet before I launched and carried
the front wheels for a bit , hit second , now I'm right beside him looking over and he's
about to panic so I roll out of it a bit and give him a length before I stand on it for real
bu him like h'es tied to a stump and into top gear and stay in it until I've probably got
12 or 15 cars on him.

So we get back down to the start area and he immediately starts screaming about how
it's not fair and we sandbagged him and my car isn't a street car it's a " race car" etc.etc.etc.

Until about 10 of the little vatos with ricers that he'd been picking on stepped up and
made it clear to him that he WAS going to pay off his bet or it would get real unhealthy
for him in a hurry.

And before anyone asks YES the Ghost got beaten a few times , four over a ten year
period , twice by other Mopar powerd products ( a '48 Anglia with a 528 inch Barton built
blown elephant) a backhalfed dart with a similar wedge to mine ,and two different Furds
a '70 comet ( Bakersfield folks will know that white comet) with a 460 based tunnel-rammed
monster motor and YES once ( just barely) by a 408 inch '89 Moosetwang.

Never lost to a GM car , not ever.

God but do I miss the Ghost , currently putting together another Wedge , albeit considerably
smaller cubic inch wise and more streetable , hankering to stuff it into a smaller chassis
though , something as ugly as possible , maybe an early '60 Valiant or Lancer ( another
Exner designed car) , maybe with one of the old pushbutton 727s.

At any rate thanks for letting an old man ramble , and it's a nice thing to see so many
folks ( especially YOUNGER ones) keeping the MOPAR faith.

Y'all keep it rubber side on the gound and shiny ( or Primer) side up 'eh.

B.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Inactive User

Man that was a great story! I can just picture it.

Dev
Old 02-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Inactive User

That's awsome!
You have any pics of your car? Post up!
Sam
Old 02-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Inactive User

Love it! Reminds me of what people thought of my butt-ugly 5 color junkyard bodied Crew Cab when it used to win bets pulling 30K+ pounds with a small block ( specially built by me and Bill "Maverick" Golden!) :-) PCRMike
Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Inactive User

Dude thanks for sharing that story with us, I have some stories but none of them are that good,
Thanks
Hell
Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Inactive User

Wow! For a guy that doesn't run his yap much.... Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'd have more to tell after you've had a few pints, or maybe, you've already had a few?!?!?!

:jackbox:

Nice story though, way to show that guy with the "El Cami no-go".
Old 03-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Inactive User

Damn good story there......anytime somebody steps and and shuts a loudmouth like that up im glad to hear it. That reminds me of a time when i had a 1973 Roadrunner with 440/727.....a street car, not a race car. Some local idiot with a 4 banger powered Ranger heard i had the car and always wanted to run me.....LOL .....he did untill the first time he heard and saw it.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:00 AM

Sleepers are very cool. My first V8 was a 340 powered '65 Barracuda. It was "painted" primer black, the rear quarters looked like my acne pocked face from a bunch of bondo over rust, the 2 front tires were different sizes but had matching hub caps, the rear was jacked up on shackles and monroe hi-jacker air shocks to clear the fender lips over the 11 inch wide 14 tire (I wonder who made those, Pro-Trac?) and had a wimpy 7 1/4 rear but had some good gears (3.91 I think). It was a train wreck inside, no carpet or headliner, just seats. But it could move, total weight was 2870 with me in it and the 340 was from a wrecked '68 12.3 second bracket car. I would cruise Beach Blvd in So. Cal and taunt all the nice rides back then. I got rather popular with the regulars, but if you were from out of town, you would get suckered. Never raced for money, but it was all for laughs when my car would embarass some college kid with his bed buddy riding shotgun. I remember seeing a K-code mustang fastback that was very nice lloking and sounded rather nasty. I walked that guy up and down the Blvd, ruining all his other contests. He would stage against someone else and I would be behind him. I would usually beat both of them from behind. That 7 1/4 lasted much longer than it should have. Oh to not have any responsibilities anymore!