Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > General Chat > Street Warrior Forum - great street race stories.....

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Default Not Really A Street Race, But..........

I let my parents use my Jeep to go to an out of state funeral for the past couple of days so I had been driving Dad's 280k original mile '90 Cherokee Larado (that looks like it earned each and every one of those miles). On my way home from work on tuesday I was sitting at a light waiting for traffic to clear so I could safely make a right turn on red and nearly got rear ended by 3 migrant workers (seriously in this case, never seen the car before) in a Saturn SC coupe (flip up lights and twin cam motor, the "hot" version on the Saturn motor, I thought it should have had 15" alloys on it but it had 14" steelies and Wally World hubcaps ) and I could tell by the way he was acting that the the driver probably would barely let me get moving before stompping on it so I got on it fairly hard myself. As it turns out, I was right and thats exactly what he did. While I was pulling up to 55-60 (in a 50mph zone) going up a slight incline I watched as the Saturn's front end was rising as much as the struts would let it in first gear, drop back to normal while shifting (musta been a 5-speed), and went back up nearly as high in second. All the while Dad's old Jeep is walking away from them like they were standing still. I backed out of it at 55 or 60 and dropped the truck down to 45 (the limit is 50 on and dropping to 45 just past the overpass) by the time I'd caught up with traffic near the top of the RR overpass and then they finally caught and passed me (still running atleast 55mph). As they went past I saw the back seat passenger (I feel sorry for that poor guy, probably had to find a crow bar to try and get him out of the back), the Wally World caps, vinyl flame stickers in the door, and the ricer wing adjusted for maximum lift (it seriously sat like this / on the stand offs!) My folks got home yesterday afternoon and I told Dad about this when I got home, he just laughed and said "My old Jeep still runs pretty strong, doesn't it"