Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Inactive User

Default engine test stand

I need some help, I used the diagram below to hook up my engine test stand but when I turn the key to the run position after a little while the ballast resistor is almost to hot to touch. I'm using the ignition switch that came with the stand. it has 4 posts,I put hot to one post and used a volt meter to find the run post and the start post. I go from the run post to the ballest res. from the start post I go to the starter relay solenoid post. on the starter relay I have a wire from the batt post to batt terminal on relay,from ign on relay to ballest res. and from sol on relay to sol on starter and main cable from batt to starter. I primed the oil pump and tryed turning the motor over(spins fine) but I haven't tried starting it because of the heat thing with the ballast res. I hope I've explained this good enough that someone can help. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ballast%20resistor.jpg (72.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned

Ballast resisters get hot if you leave them in the on position 'not running' for a while but make sure you have the right ohm rating ballast for the coil your running. What coil due you have, such as part #? and what ohm rating is your ballast 1., 1.5, 2 ect.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Inactive User

thanks but thats not it. something new,the neutral safety switch. I don't have one hooked up or a back up light switch so can I ground that terminal out on the starter relay? thats what the switch does right, in gear it is open and in park or neutral it's a closed switch to ground. thanks again
Old 05-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Inactive User

you can close this one, found everything I need on moparts tech.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Banned

You could of just grounded it to the stand, but oh well, have some where else.