Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:45 AM

A positive outlook is a great asset... and in the meantime you can cruise that baby around a little and loosen up that front suspension!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 AM

I hate to point it out, but I'm looking at those waves in the left quarter panel and the tweaked rear bumper... and I'm hoping those aren't buckles created by a hard rear ender. Any idea of what happened there, or is that ancient history dedicated to a previous owner? Hopefully it's just minor sheet metal damage and not structural. Door alignment isn't perfect, but that's often a case of worn hinge bushings.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Inactive User

The car has been nailed fairly hard in the rear. There is bodywork on both quarters. The frame rails are ok however. The drivers side quarter is going to be a pita because someone took a ball-peen hammer to it. I've got to be careful not to over work the metal. However, my friend Bill that has been helping me with the car is a great body man. He's the one that painted the De Soto. I might need to pull the rear panel a little bit, I'm not sure til I get the bumper off.....You have good eyes!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM

Ahhh... it's always good to have a good body man around...

My friend Dave is a great relief to me when I look at rust issues with my D5N and 404. He's finished the body of the Valiant now, but still has to paint it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Inactive User

Yes indeed, a good bodyman is worth his weight in gold!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 PM

I spent 5 yrs working in a body shop painting cars before I went farming, so I look for projects with good "bones". Around here you can't put plates on a car without a valid safety, so if a car has been written off and declared parts only you can spend a lot of time and money on a car that you will never be able to licence again.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Inactive User

I took the Javelin out for a little 3 block jaunt today, just to give me a little bit of space to enjoy the loud pedal. I can't wait to get the Holley dialed in as it's fairly rich, which is quite common for carbs out of the box at this altitude. Still need to fix the charging issue, but I need to finish fixing the kids 77 Skylark. It spun a bearing, so I got some help and got it yanked and replaced with another short block (305) that I had kicking around. Now it's developed a few leaks like most Chevy's. So I guess this weekend will be spent fixing that instead of the charging system on the Javelin. Oh well it's going to get some gauges so he'll know if there's a problem like 3 1/2 quarts low on Earl! It has a POS leaky chrome timing cover that's coming off now that I found a stock one. If there's one thing I hate, it's a leaky motor. Since I'm fixing leaks, the tranny pan of the 904 in the Javelin has a few. By the way I really appreciate your guys support! It means a lot to me, and helps keep me motivated, especially on the days where I just don't have any energy! To bad you guys weren't closer!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
I spent 5 yrs working in a body shop painting cars before I went farming, so I look for projects with good "bones". Around here you can't put plates on a car without a valid safety, so if a car has been written off and declared parts only you can spend a lot of time and money on a car that you will never be able to licence again.
I went through that on a 72' Barracuda. It was a 318 car that someone had put a 383 put in it. I was working at a boneyard at the time and it was left behind at a drug house and didn't have a title. Being young and quite naive, I spent a lot of $$$ on that car only to have to sell it back to the boneyard, and watch it get cut up due to a smart A thinking he could get the car back without having to pay storage fees. It was a major bummer!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Inactive User

Well got all the paperwork in order and got the Javelin in my name today. First up is replacing a bad alternator, and then resealing a leaky thermostat housing. Then figuring whats the issue with the brake lights, and last up is sealing up a tranny leak.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Inactive User

Interesting project. I restored two Javelins about 30 years ago without swapping engines. From one of your photos, I notice that you do not have power brakes so you probably have the drums on all 4 corners. That suggests they might be 9 inch brakes, if so, consider swapping to 10 inch brakes. This is a definite must if the car was a 6 cylinder prior to the engine swap or you will find the brakes will chatter badly. What was in the car before?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Very cool swap and I wonder if swapping a small block Mopar would be just as easy on other AMCs? It's coming together nicely, keep up the good work!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Inactive User

Thanks! The car has disc in the front, and it came with a 304. I've run into a snag so the project is on hold for now.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoga View Post
Very cool swap and I wonder if swapping a small block Mopar would be just as easy on other AMCs? It's coming together nicely, keep up the good work!
I do believe that most 70's AMC engine bays are similar in size. This was a V-8 car so that might have helped as far as the frame mounts/K-frame. This was a true bolt in. Not sure if you could do a bolt in with a 6 cyl car or not......I could have fired up the welder, and done a few things differently, but I was trying not to modify the car, just in case I came across a AMC 401! I used a 232/258 6cylinder/904 tranny mount which worked out great. It kept the tranny low in the tunnel which allowed me to get a good set back on the motor. I have very good ground clearance as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:27 AM

Hey...welcome back! Glad to hear you're still at it.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 PM
Inactive User

Sorry guys that I haven't been on in quite a while. I've had to shelf the project, as I'm locked in a title battle for the car. It is going to court, but it's going to be two months at least because I will be doing my stem cell transplant on the 29th.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 AM

Not good news, David...

All the best with both issues.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Inactive User

Thanks Ray!
Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Inactive User

I just read all about your project. I have allways wanted a gremlin to put a BB mopar in.You are doing a great job. Good luck with your problems especialy your health. God bless you.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Inactive User

Thank you! My transplant got pushed back a couple of weeks. We're looking to do it on the 12th of September. I'll take all the prayer I can get!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 440 chrg View Post
I just read all about your project. I have allways wanted a gremlin to put a BB mopar in.You are doing a great job. Good luck with your problems especialy your health. God bless you.
================================================== ========

Oh yeah, I saw a Gremlin with a blown Hemi at Bob"s Big Boy in Burbank, CA about 5 years ago. Awesome! Looked like a cartoon.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Good luck with the transplant... our prayers are with you. Dont forget, you've got a project to finish for us here!
Old 09-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Hang tough, David!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Inactive User

Many Thanks Guys!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Inactive User

Hi everyone! Sorry bout not staying up to date with the news. There hasn't been anymore work done on the car due to a lawsuit from the guy who let it sit for over 8 years at his nephew's, and there's also my transplant. Well I'm now 6 weeks out from my 2nd stem cell transplant. So far so good except when my immune system was low, I managed to get scabies. I'm on my 3rd treatment now. As of the 31st, the Javelin lawsuit will be a done deal. It got dismissed as of the 20th, and he has 10 days to appeal. So far he has listened to the judge and left it alone.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:53 AM

Good luck, David and hang in there! Glad to hear the lawsuit got dismissed.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:15 AM

You don't need worries like that...

All the best with it.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Inactive User

I'm going to try and get the car back in the driveway tomorrow. Then we'll see just why there's no power to the rear half of the car. I think it's a fuse, any idea's?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:36 AM

Check the fuse for the taillights first. If that's ok, check the wires to the rear plus the brake light switch by the pedal. In fact, check the switch first!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM
Inactive User

If there's no power at all to the back, that would mean several circuits. Tail light and license plate light are on one circuit with its own fuse. Turn signals on another with its own fuse. Brake lights on another with own fuse. If none of them are working, could be 3 fuses or unplugged wiring harness. If some body work was done, harness might have been disconnected.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for tips guys. I remember working on the steering column on my first Javelin (20 + years ago) and was being lazy by not disconnecting the battery and killed the lights to the rear by a short I caused. I found that one out because of the ticket I got later that night!