Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide!

Go Back   Moparchat - Home of MOPAR enthusiasts worldwide! > Technical Forums > Vintage MOPAR chat

Click here to search for Mopar cars and parts for sale.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Inactive User

I've got it sitting in the garage where it's nice and dry. Plus it's out of sight from wondering eyes! If it was going to sit outside, it would get some paint over the primer, but it'll stay inside. Got the replacement rear bumper on it and it shows that the rear tail light panel is pushed in about 2". No surprise here. I'm going to make a angle iron inner plate to keeps things even when I pull it back out. Should be fun!
Old 12-18-2011, 01:14 PM

What may surprise you is the amount of force it's going to take to move that 70's sheet metal. Dozers used in the body shops typically have 50 to 80 tons of hydraulic pressure. Not sure what you are planning to pull with, but you might have to use the torch and a little heat to "unroll" the damage. Try not to get carried away near the flat panels or you will warp it and create more work for yourself.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

I've worked over an old 63' Chevy 1/2 ton truck, and you are right. Getting the older sheet metal to move ain't easy. It should be interesting. I'm not sure when I'll get to it as I have a lung biopsy this friday the 23rd. I've heard that they can be real painful. I have my neighbor dropping the gas tank out of it next week if all goes well. Laying on the cold concrete messes me up, so I'll let him have at it. It will be the easiest one that he's ever done. once it's out, I can repair the brass float, so I can have a gas gauge!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Inactive User

We're with you.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:49 AM

You are a trooper... good luck with the biopsy.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:48 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for the support guys. There are many times when I feel like just giving up. Let me tell you that it sucks from going from the husband of a family of 4 to just your self. The kids are on their own now, and she, well she's with someone else now. My poor to cats get more attention than they can stand on some days. Truth be known, this has really started to wear on me. After 11 years one starts to wonder when will it stop. I'm glad that I have the car, but it sure can't compare to a happy family.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Yea...but you're building a chick magnet...
Old 12-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Inactive User

I hadn't really thought of it that way....
Old 12-22-2011, 12:41 AM

This is from a Ford site...but it might help when it comes time to adjust that hood down... I'm not sure how similar the bolt configuration is to a Javelin though.
http://falconccwa.stormloader.com/bonhint.htm
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Inactive User

Thanks for the tip. My friend Bill and I had the hood up to clear the oil pressure line which at the time ran to a gauge set that was just sitting up on the cowl. I will set it back down when I start to fit and adjust the body sometime in the spring Good Lord willing. It's snowing here right now, and I expect to get 4-6 inches. It's stay inside and stay warm weather right now! I had to reschedule my lung biopsy to next Thursday as I need a driver to take me, and with the roads suppose to be bad, I decided it was best not to chance it. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 PM

You got more snow than the great white north! We've barely got enough to turn the lawn white, but I hear you when it comes to turning frosty wrenches.... a Happy Holiday Season to everyone!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 AM

David, you would be surprised how many people can relate to your post:

Quote:
There are many times when I feel like just giving up. Let me tell you that it sucks from going from the husband of a family of four to just yourself. The kids are on their own now, and she, well she's with someone else now. My poor two cats get more attention than they can stand on some days. Truth be known, this has really started to wear on me. After 11 years one starts to wonder when will it stop.....
I can to a limited extent, I know. I've been down the path of a broken marriage... that's the most successful tool there is to damage people. You can kill their enthusiasm, thwart their dreams, pressure them into submission and even lead them to suicide with that one.

Loneliness can grate with you, and when you feel like your kids have deserted you too (this is another I know...) then you really do feel alone.

Nobody to reminisce with, nobody to remind you that you once were a whole human being. Very debilitating.

But I've not known the serious medical threats. Just watched those around me... by the score... as they've done those battles. My little brother died at 59 with a brain tumour, another Dave, a close friend near me here, came home from hospital yesterday with his bone marrow cancer and leukemia, he's been given days or weeks. He will be the fourth one I've known to go with leukemia in a year, it's got to stop!

So having a project such as yours to keep you occupied would be a good thing. Only thing is, I'd get rid of the cats.

Remember this... a dog will look up to you; a cat will look down on you; a pig will treat you as an equal!

Quote:
.....I'm glad that I have the car, but it sure can't compare to a happy family.
Amen, brother... truer words were never spoken!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Only thing is, I'd get rid of the cats.
Only if you like holes in your upholstery and wiring and the stench of mouse dropping in your projects. Mice ruined the headliner in my 68 Imperial 4 door, eating thru the headliner where the former owners had left the sun visors up. My grey cat had that car cleaned out in a day or so...
Old 12-24-2011, 08:50 AM
Inactive User

Thanks for your words of encouragement Ray, they mean alot as I've also lost a brother a few years back from the cursed cancer. I agree with you, although I'll keep my cats. My little male black and white is a gift from above. The little sh*t just loves to play fetch. He likes to fetch the plastic outlet covers that one gets to child proof your outlets. They are easy for him to carry. He is the first cat ever to sleep by me, and follows me around like a lost puppy dog! While his name is Ian, I sometimes call him "Poochie", especially when he gets into the trash! He just turns his little motor on for me when I pick him up, and we spend quite alot of time just messing a round. You could say that he keeps me going as well.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 AM

Some people are cat people, some are dog people, but I must say I got rid of a barn full of pigs last winter, and I've never missed them. They do look you in the eye....just before they destroy something u'll have to fix...
Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 PM

Just like kids, eh?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:46 PM

lol....but not as noisy!
Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Inactive User

That's a lot of Bacon!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

Got the pitman arm replaced, and adjusted the wheel bearings today, but the big thing was I finally got the windshield replaced! Now I can see where I'm going! Scary huh?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Inactive User

Well little by little it's slowly starting to come together. Just waiting for spring to get here so I can start the bodywork. The car is fun to drive. I wish I had better oil pressure as it looks to be 1-2 lbs at idle fully warm. I don't hear the valvetrain however, so I'm thinking it has to have something. It's about 20-30 lbs driving it around. I'd love to put a crank kit in it, but I just don't got the funds right now.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 AM

Nice thing about the 318 is that there's lots of them around. Run her till she blows and drop in another one.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:53 AM
Inactive User

I have access to a 67' 273 60,000 mile motor for dirt cheap, but I think my cam is too big for a 273. It's a Hughes HE 0914 AL.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:59 AM
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
Lookin good.... I think it would look good in a nice dark blood red metallic.
That's exactly the color I've decided I'm going to paint it!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:51 AM

Throw the 273 crank and bearings into the 318...

They'll fit.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Inactive User

That's a great idea! I was thinking about using the adjustable rockers and didn't even think about the crank!
Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Yea...I think you'd be dissappointed in the power loss if you just went from the 318 to the 273. Can't say I was ever impressed with one.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Before you get excited about that oil pressure, have you checked it with another guage? If it's an electric sender it could be going bad or having some issues between the Mopar/AMC swap. Even the copper tube style can get air in them and do some strange things... I've had to bleed one at the top before.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Inactive User

The line does have air in it. I'll bleed it out and see what that does. Didn't realize that it made any difference. I'm going to tee the line and hook up the factory gauge when I find out which wire it is. I have the wiring diagram in the computer somewhere. Hoping to get it done this weekend sometime.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Air in the line has compressability.... at low pressures it won't give accurate readings, but as the pressure builds it compresses the air and gives a more accurate reading at the top end. I've seen guys plumb in extra guages that they leave under the hood or right on the motor for tuneup time.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Inactive User

Makes sense. It's on the fix it list. Thanks for the tip!